Jump to content
Cloaker

Gunboats; Hottest secondary sale ship right now

Recommended Posts

Looking at the online marketplaces, seeing some top names WTB and alot of interest in these. Slamming Gunboats sure ain't worried about Tripsilon. I mean, I don't own any Imperials, but this sort of list makes me wish I maybe had a few. Yikes.

 

Ruthless Legend

Soontir Fel (52)
Ruthless (1)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Total: 191

Edited by Cloaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why I am even doing this. I don't have any Imperials. I am lusting now over some of these options. This is what happens when I wake up early and get hopped up on 2 cups of coffee out of the gate.

Jendon Boats (46)

Colonel Jendon (46)
Fire-Control System (2)
ST-321 (4)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)

Total: 199

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Proton Torpedos the big thing on gunboats? I was toying around with a combination of Advanced Proton Torpedoes and Ion Torpedoes? Something like: 

Alpha-class Star Wing - Nu Squadron Pilot - 49
    Nu Squadron Pilot - (32)
        Fire-Control System (2)
        Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
        Advanced SLAM (3)
        Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
        Ion Torpedoes (6)

Nice utility for under a quarter of your list. Just run four, or three with Soontir Fel/Duchess

Edited by N'Kata

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brother, I don't even know. But I was looking at what lists my GARCven Dreis / Aces B-Wings / Dutch list would fear and seeing so many people wanting Gunboats now that it led me down a dark hole of longing. At 47 to 49 points, a Torps Gunboat fits in nicely, like everywhere.

 

Why do I do this to myself? I ain't even got the money for a a new faction. Argh.

Edited by Cloaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palp Gunboats

Captain Kagi (59)
Emperor Palpatine (11)

Nu Squadron Pilot (39)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Barrage Rockets (7)

Nu Squadron Pilot (39)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Barrage Rockets (7)

Nu Squadron Pilot (39)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Barrage Rockets (7)

Academy Pilot (23)

 

Total: 199

No need to worry about target locks. Focus to barrage rocket all day. Kagi is there to soak up target locks to save your gunboats from Rebel alpha lists. Palp is there to give you an extra mod.

Or you can take out the Academy and give advanced slam to all gunboats for guaranteed focus and shots with barrage rockets even after you slam.

Edited by IceManHG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IceManHG said:

Palp Gunboats

Captain Kagi (59)
Emperor Palpatine (11)

Nu Squadron Pilot (39)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Barrage Rockets (7)

Nu Squadron Pilot (39)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Barrage Rockets (7)

Nu Squadron Pilot (39)
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout (0)
Barrage Rockets (7)

Academy Pilot (23)

 

Total: 199

No need to worry about target locks. Focus to barrage rocket all day. Kagi is there to soak up target locks to save your gunboats from Rebel alpha lists. Palp is there to give you an extra mod.

Or you can take out the Academy and give advanced slam to all gunboats for guaranteed focus and shots with barrage rockets even after you slam.

Still have to lock your intended target if you want to fire after SLAMing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got caught up in the Gunboat hype in 1.0 and bought four of them. Just do it, @Cloaker.

I mean, right at the tail end of 1.0, I also bought four wookies, so maybe I don’t make the best life decisions...

But at least there are three Gunboats in the conversion kit. Be a part of something. Gunboat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a 3 point step up to Rhu which unlocks a Talent slot.  I've only used it on my Decimator list as I run Ruthless so I can bump the Decimator into the enemy with its 12 hull and push hits through should I whiff my dice.  I have that list written up twice with Nu and Rhu pilots for the points difference.

Personally I think the Star Wings are effective enough without  a Talent, and Major Vynder with the correct build is brilliant.

Major Vynder (39)
While you defend, if you are disarmed, roll 1 additional defense die.
Fire Control System (3)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
Ion Cannon (5)
X-g1 Assault Configuration (0)
Total: 55 points

Slow your enemy up, get into range one, smash them to pieces, SLAM (red focus) escape for that extra die.  SLAM red reload is also a useful ability.

Remember that the Star Wings don't have K-turns or T-rolls but they can SLAM hard turns to about face, utilise your disarms/stresses and pilot abilities (and support abilities if you have them) and they can be a real menace.

Thanks
 

Edited by Blast Tundra
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, "Quickdraw" said:

Can you do that?

Yes, reload is a white action on the Star Wings.  As long as you're running Advanced SLAM you can perform a white action and treat is as red after fully executing the SLAM.  Advanced SLAM is essential for this to work though.

Edited by Blast Tundra
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blast Tundra said:

There is a 3 point step up to Rhu which unlocks a Talent slot.  I've only used it on my Decimator list as I run Ruthless so I can bump the Decimator into the enemy with its 12 hull and push hits through should I whiff my dice.  I have that list written up twice with Nu and Rhu pilots for the points difference.

Personally I think the Star Wings are effective enough without  a Talent, and Major Vynder with the correct build is brilliant.

Major Vynder (39)
While you defend, if you are disarmed, roll 1 additional defense die.
Fire Control System (3)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
Ion Cannon (5)
X-g1 Assault Configuration (0)
Total: 55 points

Slow your enemy up, get into range one, smash them to pieces, SLAM (red focus) escape for that extra die.  SLAM red reload is also a useful ability.

Remember that the Star Wings don't have K-turns or T-rolls but they can SLAM hard turns to about face, utilise your disarms/stresses and pilot abilities (and support abilities if you have them) and they can be a real menace.

Thanks
 

This is my favorite gunboat loadout as well.  Sadly the Rhos come in at 51 points for this.  We were so close to greatness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HolySorcerer said:

This is my favorite gunboat loadout as well.  Sadly the Rhos come in at 51 points for this.  We were so close to greatness.

I think 51 points is fair for what they can do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Maybe, but think of the greatness of four of these in a list!  Also, the 51 point phantom stings as well.  Curse you FFG!

Yeah but the Nu pilot build is 49 points... 😏 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You stand amidst my achievement:

5(!) * 

Nu squadron pilot+Ion cannon+Xg1 assault+advanced slam (40pt)

200pt

(You may fire when disarmed=After slam)

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v5!s!164:-1,-1,-1,104,144:U.11;164:-1,-1,-1,104,144:U.11;164:-1,-1,-1,104,144:U.11;164:-1,-1,-1,104,144:U.11;164:-1,-1,-1,104,144:U.11&sn=Fire when disarmed&obs=

You will walk the enemy list of the table from first engagement.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

@Cloaker Have you tried playing them on a Simulator like Vassal, TTS or Fly Casual?

It might be what you need to scratch that itch.

Would love to! What's the easiest one for me to get and play on steam?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kempokid said:

Too bad Gunboats aren't hyperspace legal and Tripsilon is. That's the issue with them. 

Absolutely an issue. But for extended I am very likely to include Gunboats.

how much do you think this list cares about Trips? I’m guessing not very, or at least compared to most

Lock Block

(86) Colonel Vessery
(5) Juke
(0) Jamming Beam
Points 91

(46) Seventh Sister
(2) Fire-Control System
(3) Hate
Points 51

(39) Major Vynder
(0) Xg-1 Assault Configuration
(5) Ion Cannon
(2) Fire-Control System
(3) Advanced SLAM
(3) Intimidation
(6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes
Points 58

Total points: 200

Turn 1: run the eff away. Turn 2 converge from opposite sides with what’s left. Most of those ships can easily shrug off one, and probably two, shots on the initial. Seventh Sister is most likely to get pasted, so gottaa be careful. But set at 45° and dial the 5 straight. Boost or evade, whichever works best. It also, for a list geared towards not getting killed, is probably effective enough to not be a counter that is only viable against Tripsilons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HolySorcerer said:

Another reason to give zero ****s about hyperspace.  No Gunboats.

I kinda like the challenge of building inside a limited amount of ships/upgrades. But that ultimately means the better flyers are going to win since there will be similar builds. To a degree, list building can give a competitive edge over straight-up better flying (again to a degree). 

But yeah I love my gunboats and b-wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×