Sign in to follow this  
django042

Timeworn Brand's exhaust does not make sense

I'm confused about Timeworn Brand's second ability and why it exhausts it. The rules about "Max X per..." are quite clear that the limit refers to the whole ability, not just the part about drawing 3 cards. But the rules of exhausting do not prevent using abilities of exhausted assets that do not require the asset to exhaust, so the first ability can still be used. But this means that exhausting Timeworn Brand does not serve a purpose, so i assume one of my rules interpretations is wrong?

Quotes of all relevant parts:

Ability in question: "Exhaust Timeworn Brand: Fight. Add your to your skill value for this attack. This attack deals +3 damage. If this attack defeats an Elite enemy, draw 3 cards. (Max once per game.) "

Rules about "Max X per...": "If a maximum appears as part of an ability, it imposes a maximum number of times that ability can be initiated from all copies (by title) of cards bearing that ability (including itself), during the designated period. "

Exhausted: "An exhausted card cannot exhaust again until it is ready (typically by a game step or card ability)."

The first ability requires that it be ready.  Ready == not exhausted.  So you can't use the second ability, then use the first one the same turn.

Edited by CSerpent