Sign in to follow this  
emeraldbeacon

Moralo Eval: where can he return?

Say that I'm flying Moralo Eval, and I decide to make a hasty retreat, and loop around next round.  I aim for the edge battlefield, but find myself in an intriguing scenario:  When I flee the battlefield, I exit at a corner, touching both edges of the play area.  Given that situation, what am I obligated to do as a player? 

1. Using the "tracking line" on the movement templates, do I check to see which play area edge I encountered first, to determine where I return from...
  2. ...or do I simply complete the maneuver, and end up fleeing from two edges at once?  And if so...
    1. ...do I need to declare which board edge I "officially" fled from, so that my opponent's higher-initiative ships can plan accordingly during their activations?
    2. ...or do I declare at the end of the Activation phase?  Or some other time?
    3. ...OR, can I say nothing, and have the option of returning along either of the two board edges at the next planning phase?

Obviously, Moralo will be back on the table before any dials are down for the subsequent round... but it is an interesting conundrum to consider.

Card_Pilot_211.png

40 minutes ago, emeraldbeacon said:

Using the "tracking line" on the movement templates, do I check to see which play area edge I encountered first, to determine where I return from.

This looks to be right.

there can be only one. ;) as in a single edge has to be determined. it's even harder, because most mats are not entirely square, as in the edges are rounded.

a ship having fled or not is never determined with a template, only by the base being outside the play area once you've finished the maneuver. i'm still going with @Hiemfire on this one, though. i'd say which ever edge the line on your movement template crosses first.

I think the best way is #1, with #2.1 to cover any gaps.

When ships bump, we'll use the monorail to figure out which ship you bump first.  I think it'd be fair to do that with flying off the board, figure out which edge is touched first.

In cases where that's not possible, if things are truly simultaneous, I think the most fair solution would be for Moralo to declare--when he flees--which edge he flew off of.  I don't really have a rules interpretation to justify this, but I think it's the most fair.  Moralo flies of one clear edge, and an opponent can react in that phase with boosts and barrel rolls and other abilities, knowing which edge Moralo will eventually come back on.

I don't think I'd have a problem with #2.1 being the default method in general, either.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:21 AM, ryfterek said:

Alright boys and girls, what will we do if Moralo charges right into the corner at 45° angle, making it impossible to label one edge as "this first"? 

FFG maps have rounded corners. How will you determine which edge you hit first?

I would say the player chooses which edge he flew off from and then picks that edge to place Moralo at. Then Planning phase can start.

Well, let's say that I'm a pilot, sitting in my cockpit, chasing Moralo (or not.. just having sensors/monitors on while flying), and POOF... He decides to flee... I know in which direction he went.. I can tell, I saw him. I can even react to it if I'm good (like having a good initiative..).

This kind of reasoning would suggest to determine the side he went out at the moment Moralo "flees the scene". And the more obvious, the better. If not, it must be declared.

So, in the absence of a specific rule,  I propose the Game-Play-common-sense-rule... Which points toward 1 with 2.1 as "uncertainty-breaker". I belive it's the most "realistic", Storytellingly speeking. So I go with @theBitterFig