Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
xero989

GEM " Global Event Manager" what does it mean for us?

Recommended Posts

So FFG released an artical about OP program https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/1/30/the-future-of-organized-play/ and it it they talk about GEM.

"GEM allows us to track player results, award digital prizes, and offer an improved tournament experience for stores and tournament organizers." They continue "Our development of GEM will continue throughout 2019, and we will be adding to and evolving the feature-set all year long."

So my question is does GEM facilitate all competitive games to have an app, and thereby Armada will get an app, hench the silence about Armada as they wanted to announce this first? 

I mean to me it explains at least partially the info drought. I mean FFG said on Twitter we probably wouldn't get info this week, but next week to keep an eye out.

Also how do you give out digital prizes with no app, this all seams to point to Armada getting and app, what is everyones fellings about this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All in all it was good to see them backtrack to a better hierarchy of organized play.

The invite only worlds I am strongly against. Having an inclusive, open community for all is of paramount importance. Going to invite only encourages bad elements in the community and game play in general. One thing about gamers, if you flip the 'you must win at all costs' switch, then some people sure will and I really don't want to see that happen to our community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tgall said:

All in all it was good to see them backtrack to a better hierarchy of organized play.

The invite only worlds I am strongly against. Having an inclusive, open community for all is of paramount importance. Going to invite only encourages bad elements in the community and game play in general. One thing about gamers, if you flip the 'you must win at all costs' switch, then some people sure will and I really don't want to see that happen to our community.

I do agree, i think the invite only was to deter people from going then droping to play in side events, though I think there are better ways to do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tgall said:

The invite only worlds I am strongly against. Having an inclusive, open community for all is of paramount importance. Going to invite only encourages bad elements in the community and game play in general. One thing about gamers, if you flip the 'you must win at all costs' switch, then some people sure will and I really don't want to see that happen to our community.

Yup, invite-only Worlds is just... just terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, you assume that FFG cares enough about Armada to even offer digital prizes. Armada is dead!

My favorite part " our improved communication will be a major point of emphasis throughout 2019"

Edited by Nekzous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next week, we'll recieve news that the SSD shipped the day before...

 

Wait, sorry, I ment Imperial Specialists... yeah...

 

But seriously, as someone who simply does organized play to up numbers and promote the game, I feel this is good. Not for the casual side, short term at least... but in the long run it will be good for us more casual players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what's worse? Keyboard jockying for tickets for the elite events or a qualifying system?

I mean, I feel the qualifier system seems more reasonable than being lucky, IMO. Either way, I'll never go to those events due to lack of skill and lack of desire to spend money to travel. So my opinion may be skewed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

geek19 made a good point; if winning a Regional becomes one of the only ways to gain access to Worlds, there is even less incentive to TO a Regional. 

I have never been to Worlds and may never go to Worlds, but I worry this will also affect the atmosphere at Regionals and NOVA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

geek19 made a good point; if winning a Regional becomes one of the only ways to gain access to Worlds, there is even less incentive to TO a Regional. 

I have never been to Worlds and may never go to Worlds, but I worry this will also affect the atmosphere at Regionals and NOVA. 

Less inventive because rather than helping as a TO you'd want to play to secure a place at Worlds? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zamalekite said:

Less inventive because rather than helping as a TO you'd want to play to secure a place at Worlds? 

That, and the fact that the rulings you make as a TO have an even bigger weight than before. Making the calls that determine whether a player makes it to Worlds or not? I wouldn't want that kind of responsibility as a TO. (Note: I am not a TO, so this is all hypothetical.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

That, and the fact that the rulings you make as a TO have an even bigger weight than before. Making the calls that determine whether a player makes it to Worlds or not? I wouldn't want that kind of responsibility as a TO. (Note: I am not a TO, so this is all hypothetical.)

Scares the everliving piss out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, tgall said:

All in all it was good to see them backtrack to a better hierarchy of organized play.

The invite only worlds I am strongly against. Having an inclusive, open community for all is of paramount importance. Going to invite only encourages bad elements in the community and game play in general. One thing about gamers, if you flip the 'you must win at all costs' switch, then some people sure will and I really don't want to see that happen to our community.

as far as I am concerned, Worlds has always been invite only, as long as it stays exclusively in the US. Worlds=make the effort around the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NebulonB said:

as far as I am concerned, Worlds has always been invite only, as long as it stays exclusively in the US. Worlds=make the effort around the world.

At least for Armada it's at a different location this year. Nothing saying it couldn't be in Europe one year, NA the next etc. You're right if you're not in the US the location for Worlds has been and continues to be highly problematic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, NebulonB said:

as far as I am concerned, Worlds has always been invite only, as long as it stays exclusively in the US. Worlds=make the effort around the world.

was looking for US or NA only tournaments that have the word world in it, 5th and 6th result on google re about shootings at  videogame tournament world championship. can't say I was suprised there.

Edited by Geressen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My big concerns with needing a Regional win is stuff I have seen in X-Wing. Several top players going to multiple regionals and placing and/or winning multiple. I always hated the idea someone taking multiple top x prizes from someone that was 5/9/17th; but now they could knock someone from making it to a higher tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...