dotswarlock

Scum in hyperspace, strengths?

6 hours ago, Nyjalsan said:

But Boba straight into any ships or swarm and Ties from the side to follow up and deal in total 8 red dice, at least you trade damage into damage.

He doesn't have access to glitterstim like he did in 1st edition, but Boba Fett was a pain in the neck to try and engage with a swarm. If you can park within range 1 of 2-3 ships, 2 rerolled green dice is painful to try and cut through with only 2 red dice, and a combination of 4 red dice, fearless, and rerolls tends to "control-X" one TIE fighter before it can fire. 

I'm just going to be terrified how manouvrable the firespray is going to get when/if the cloaking device becomes hyperspace legal. 

3 hours ago, svelok said:

Trick Shot as a decentralized Howl stand-in.

Has anyone tried Fearless TIEs? Given that a TIE fighter often has to aim for range 1 to get a meaningful shot anyway...

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Tried this with good success.

Fenn-Outmaneuver

Boba - Trick Shot (could add slave 1)

Seevor - Trick Shot

modest 6pt bid (drop one or two  trick shots for 8pt or 10pt bid to taste)

Practice arc dodging with Fenn as he is crucial to the end game. Don’t forget reinforce on Boba for that first engagement.  

Happy Scumming.

I haven't given up on Scum yet.  I think they have plenty of options, I went 4-0 in swiss at a small tourney the other week with Fenn, Han, Seevor, and Ahaav.  I lost the final game because I took a bad engagement and the other guy is a practice buddy who is quite good as well.

Fenn Rau is still a monster, he's fragile so you have to fly him well, but the rewards for doing so are well worth it.

Old Teroch is solid.  Generic Fangs are good for their cost.  They tend to live a little bit longer than I expect that they should.

Boba is solid, just not heads and shoulders above everything else.  I've found it tough to find good wingmen at times because of his cost.  I haven't spent time with any other Firespray pilots, but an Emon list made the cut at the tournament I referenced above, I don't know the details about it.

Han with Trickshot and Hotshot Gunner is good.  If your opponent ignores him, you set up the obstructed shots, if not he has 11 health, can boost, and his two dice attack isn't so bad when it's stripping a Focus.

MGTs ship ability alone makes them worth considering.  Seevor is the stand out pilot, especially if he has other I3s or lower in the same list to benefit from his jamming ability

The Nose is still a relatively cheap coordinate.  I've lost interest in it, but that's only because I dislike pure support ships.

I've been flying the falcon (Han or Lando) with 2 fangs (Fenn and Teroch/zealous recruit) and had mixes results.

I then took 3 fangs and L3 to a 4 round hs tournament and went 2-2, finishing 8th out of 20.

Fangs for the memory

(26) L3-37
(2) Tactical Officer
Points 28

(68) Fenn Rau
(3) Fearless
Points 71

(56) Old Teroch
Points 56

(44) Zealous Recruit
Points 44

Total points: 199

The games i lost didnt feel unwinable, its definitely  a high variance list, but its such fun to fly.

So thoughts on a Fenn and MGT swarm? might look like:

Modified TIE/ln Fighter - Mining Guild Sentry - 24
    Mining Guild Sentry - (24)

Modified TIE/ln Fighter - •Captain Seevor - 30
    •Captain Seevor - Noisy Nuisance (30)

Fang Fighter - •Fenn Rau - 71
    •Fenn Rau - Skull Leader (68)
        Fearless (3)

Total: 197/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Maybe I'm not very good, but every time I fly fang fighters they just get chomped very early in the game. And with the Falcon I just don't feel I'm outputting enough damage to keep up with my opponent. Boba was my favorite and still is I just don't know who to pair him with in a Hyperspace match. But hopefully as time goes on they'll get more toys to work with or I'll be able to find something that just clicks with me. 

7 minutes ago, Mistborn_Jedi said:

People at my store are theory-crafting 2 Firesprays and Fenn.  But no one has run it yet that I know of so not sure if it's actually good.  

I've flown it once and it was actually really fun! The issue is one wrong move with Fenn and he's a goner but that is what Fenn does haha

3 hours ago, UhearBoutPluto said:

Maybe I'm not very good, but every time I fly fang fighters they just get chomped very early in the game. And with the Falcon I just don't feel I'm outputting enough damage to keep up with my opponent. Boba was my favorite and still is I just don't know who to pair him with in a Hyperspace match. But hopefully as time goes on they'll get more toys to work with or I'll be able to find something that just clicks with me. 

I was flying Fenn and 3 Recruits tonight. Both against Tavson, QD, Muse and an I3 TIE. 

They're simple in essence but very demanding. Boost is so good for range control, being able to boost into R1 and focussed is all sorts of great and not too hard to achieve.

But being stressed at R1 can be extremely awkward. I'm still trying to work that bit out. When I get it right, they're monstrous. When I get it wrong, they die OR ridiculous dice make them back into monstrous.

I feel like they need strong trajectories. You don't want to be stuck, making it up on the fly to stay at R1 as long as possible in a cramped spot. You sometimes need to draw an opponents ships out so you have good 'fly-by' options, and maybe wait for a better place to conduct a more protracted R1 knife fight.

I may work out what that better place looks like, how to build it and Turn 0 everything soon... It can be done, I'm sure of it.

Bottom line, they die to bad dice, so choosing which Fang gets the bad dice and when is crucial. The hard part in that, is your opponent can also have a say.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mistborn_Jedi said:

People at my store are theory-crafting 2 Firesprays and Fenn.  But no one has run it yet that I know of so not sure if it's actually good.  

I have flown it a fair bit. Fenn is fun but he doesn't deal well with mistakes. I found that my Firesprays were doing most of the heavy lifting so I just traded Fenn in for another base Firespray. 

Edited by Poultrybane
grammer

23 hours ago, Ronu said:

So thoughts on a Fenn and MGT swarm? might look like:

Modified TIE/ln Fighter - •Captain Seevor - 30
    •Captain Seevor - Noisy Nuisance (30)

Fang Fighter - •Fenn Rau - 71
    •Fenn Rau - Skull Leader (68)
        Fearless (3)

I would drop Fearless from Fenn.  Yes, he has a pretty good defense profile at range 1 with a Focus, but the Fang only has 4 hull and your dice will inevitably fail you at the worst time.  Try to use him as a flanker and only take 1 on 1, face to face engagements when you are already ahead on the damage race and the ship you are staring down is nearly dead so Fenn has a fair chance to delete them before they can shoot back anyway.

I prefer Predator on Fenn, with I6 and Boost it isn't terribly hard to line up with a bit of practice, even out to range 3.  And it still works when you make the decision to jam Fenn in some body's face if you line it up correctly.

Thinking about trying this tomorrow. Something different and figure it can't be any worse than other stuff I've tried with HyperScum lately. All pilots are I2 so everything moves at the same time. Figure no one will expect missiles on a Firespray and the Bounty Hunters may be able to spread some damage around.  MGTies are for flanking/tricksy shots with asteroids.  *Shrug*...I'll report back on how it goes.

Modified TIE/ln Fighter - Mining Guild Surveyor - 27
    Mining Guild Surveyor - (25)
        Trick Shot (2)

Trick Shot (2)

Firespray-class Patrol Craft - Bounty Hunter - 72
    Bounty Hunter - (66)
        Cluster Missiles (5)
        Munitions Failsafe (1)

Bounty Hunter - (66)
        Cluster Missiles (5)
        Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 198/200

Mining Guild Surveyor — Mining Guild TIE Fighter 25
Trick Shot 2
Ship Total: 27
Half Points: 14 Threshold: 2

Mining Guild Surveyor — Mining Guild TIE Fighter 25
Trick Shot 2
Ship Total: 27
Half Points: 14 Threshold: 2

Han Solo (Scum) — Customized YT-1300 Light Freighter 54
Trick Shot 2
Lando Calrissian (Scum) 8
Rigged Cargo Chute 4
Lando’s Millennium Falcon 6
Ship Total: 74
Half Points: 37 Threshold: 6

Kad Solus — Fang Fighter 54
Fearless 3
Ship Total: 57
Half Points: 29 Threshold: 2

Autopilot Drone — Escape Craft 12
Ship Total: 12

Half Points: 6 Threshold: 2

Squad 197 bid 3

Thoughts?

23 hours ago, NeonWolf said:

Thinking about trying this tomorrow. Something different and figure it can't be any worse than other stuff I've tried with HyperScum lately. All pilots are I2 so everything moves at the same time. Figure no one will expect missiles on a Firespray and the Bounty Hunters may be able to spread some damage around.  MGTies are for flanking/tricksy shots with asteroids.  *Shrug*...I'll report back on how it goes.

Trick Shot (2)

Trick Shot (2)

Bounty Hunter - (66)
        Cluster Missiles (5)
        Munitions Failsafe (1)

Bounty Hunter - (66)
        Cluster Missiles (5)
        Munitions Failsafe (1)

Total: 198/200

Got in a couple of games with this list today. Added Inertial Dampeners to the Firesprays since I wasn't worried about a bid. Did better than I expected. Won the first game against a Wedge/Magva+Leia/2x Red Sqdn Vets list.  second game my opponent swapped out the generic X's for some Gold Squadron Y's Vet gunners and Ion turrets. L9st this one 127-51. Both games really came down to maneuvering. Managed to jam him up on asteroids in the first game then he got better arcs and eliminated my TIE's early in the second game. Cluster missiles worked better than I expected. Actually used the munitions failsafe and Dampeners in both games, once or twice each.

Possible changes could be drooping the misslesnfornsome proton bombs. Would free up worrying about getting locks. Other option is drop the failsafes and swap clusters for concussion missiles. Still have to get the locks but can use them later to flip up damage cards.

Overall I am rather pleased with this list and think it deserves more testing against other list types.

I'm going to give this a shot at our local league this week/month. We'll see how it does.

Firespray-class Patrol Craft - •Koshka Frost - 81
    •Koshka Frost - Icy Professional (71)
        Trick Shot (2)
        Perceptive Copilot (8)

Fang Fighter - •Kad Solus - 57
    •Kad Solus - Skilled Commando (54)
        Elusive (3)

Fang Fighter - •Old Teroch - 59
    •Old Teroch - Mandalorian Mentor (56)
        Fearless (3)

[url="https://squadbuilder.fantasyflightgames.com/squad-preview/9d95efbf-2997-4220-b6f4-c2c41c62ed54"]View in the X-Wing Squad Builder[/url]

On 3/3/2019 at 1:13 PM, Ikka said:

I'm going to give this a shot at our local league this week/month. We'll see how it does.

Firespray-class Patrol Craft - •Koshka Frost - 81
    •Koshka Frost - Icy Professional (71)
        Trick Shot (2)
        Perceptive Copilot (8)

Fang Fighter - •Kad Solus - 57
    •Kad Solus - Skilled Commando (54)
        Elusive (3)

Fang Fighter - •Old Teroch - 59
    •Old Teroch - Mandalorian Mentor (56)
        Fearless (3)

[url="https://squadbuilder.fantasyflightgames.com/squad-preview/9d95efbf-2997-4220-b6f4-c2c41c62ed54"]View in the X-Wing Squad Builder[/url]

If you really want a 3pt bid then thats cool - but if not just simply add the seismics to Koshka - they may be useful.

55 minutes ago, Hugeman said:

If you really want a 3pt bid then thats cool - but if not just simply add the seismics to Koshka - they may be useful.

That is true, and a bid really won't help with what I have flying...

I am trying my hand at a Hyperspace list, with Scum arguably being my favorite faction, but I'm stumbling a bit.

Thought three naked Bounty Hunters could be fun, but I'm toying with (a very fat) Han, a docked Pioneer, a Skull Fang, and a Mining TIE. Han is nearly 100 points and I'm worried there's not enough backup...

I kinda totally want to try 3 Bounty Hunters. Short straw for who gets the Deadmans Switch.

Flew Fenn +3 Recruits some more tonight. Whew, it's knife edge stuff. Can be immensely powerful, got my 1st 200-0 win. Can also go wrong early and fall apart, failed to appreciate just how big a bait Fenn is, didn't take advantage, lost board position, slow creep to defeat. Managed to keep it going and looking Ok till a double evade saved Wedge from death, the 3 I1s are just terrific for blocking and boxing.

Very refreshing list though, even if its going to be battling very uphill at times, manoeuvres matter so hard. (so does Concordia). There's really not much to it beyond setting dials and rolling dice, it's beautiful.

Still scared stiff of RZ-2s. A mate has gone to 5 of them and 3 were hard enough. Yet to play against them with 4 Fangs but I imagine only unpleasant things.

17 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

kinda totally want to try 3 Bounty Hunters. Short straw for who gets the Deadmans Switch

Maybe put inertial dampeners on 2 of them instead? Won't get used allot of the time, but for those times where a full stop suddenly feels needed they're worth the burnt shield.

Just doodling... I like Scum Han. The Falcon has game against a-wings due to stress, has lots of Hull, Great for soaking damage, large based boost is great for arc dodging...

Then there’s Boba, who is acknowledged to be the scariest thing in Scum. Add bombs to add effectiveness against swarms. Add Slave One for flavour and to make him more dodgy.

Why not both? This is far from optimised, it’s basically a shower thought...

(54) Han Solo [Customized YT-1300 Light Freighter]
(6) Lando's Millennium Falcon
(2) Trick Shot
(7) Hotshot Gunner
(2) Qi'ra
(4) L3-37
(4) Rigged Cargo Chute

(86) Boba Fett [Firespray-class Patrol Craft]
(2) Slave I
(3) Fearless
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(5) Proton Bombs

(12) Autopilot Drone [Escape Craft]

Total points: 195

So the list I've been testing lately:

Fenn Rau: Predator (70)

Captain Seevor: Crack Shot (31)

Ahaav: Crack Shot (31)

Bounty Hunter: Qi'ra (68)

200 Pts.

I've gotten four games in with it, two against newer players, two against more experienced players(that have and will make cuts.)  I'm 2-2 with the list, both losses were against experienced players with practiced lists, but they were close matches so I'm not down on the list yet.  I need a few more games to work out if this is good or not.

I'm still working out the set up.  I take three big asteroids and try to put them in a cluster in the middle of the board.  What I haven't figured out yet is if it's better to stick the Bounty Hunter and TIEs in the middle of the board staring down the rocks or offset to one side.  Fenn is easier, he is my flanker, he sets up to flank.

Turn one I move up the BH to grab a lock on a rock in a strategically important place.  Afterwards I try to keep the rocks between my BH and TIEs until I see an opportunity to turn in to them and engage.  Fenn goes for a flank or, if my opponent keys in on him, acts as bait and plays keep away.

I used to have Han in this list, but I thought I'd try the BH because he is a little tougher, is easier to maneuver through obstacles, and can be a good blocker.  The trick with Qi'ra is pretty handy, and in three out of four matches the BH was really pulling his weight.  In the last match I missed a block on a I3 SF by millimeters so it and Quickdraw took three shots and melted the BH with better than average dice.  I wasn't out of that game right there, one of his ships was on one hull and Quickdraw was shieldless with Fenn in a superior position, but we had to call time due to it getting late and I lost on points.

After seeing a similar list on the GS stream last night to the one I posted above, I’ve refined it a little. Would love some serious criticism and suggestions. Stripped the bombs, the ‘chute and L3 crew to upgrade the escape craft to L3 with TO. I could lose Fearless to get the protons back, or the ‘chute back, or just have a 5 point bid (though I don’t see much advantage in the 2-5 bid, should be 8+ IMO!). The list on the stream had trick shot on boba, the title, trick shot and perceptive copilot on Han and Lando piloting the shuttle. Think it’s better than mine?

(54) Han Solo [Customized YT-1300 Light Freighter]
(6) Lando's Millennium Falcon
(2) Trick Shot
(7) Hotshot Gunner
(2) Qi'ra

(86) Boba Fett [Firespray-class Patrol Craft]
(2) Slave I
(3) Fearless
(8) Perceptive Copilot

(26) L3-37 [Escape Craft]
(2) Tactical Officer

Total points: 198