dotswarlock

Scum in hyperspace, strengths?

I find that most of the time, making a good list means finding the combination of tricks and synergy that works well with a faction or at least, works better than it does for the other faction.  When playing extended, I find that I can usually juggle some interesting combos of dirty tricks that will land many opponents in a heap of trouble.  For hyperspace, however, I'm finding it hard to find something that other factions can't do better or at least, do it far cheaper.

Does anyone with more hyperspace experience have anything to suggest looking at scum wise?

Scum has 3 strong options for flying through terrain.

trick shot han solo

mining ties

outer rim pioneer escape shuttle

We also have a pretty good joust.

Fearless fangs, or fearless on a firespray.

Otherwise I can see your point. It’s too bad we are getting the scum z-95 with clone wars as that ship really doesn’t do anything and I don’t think there is anything new in it’s re-release.

Emon with Boba crew can get some early turn damage from Prox Mines or Proton Bombs. Or take Seismic Charges and a Rigged Cargo Chute since Andrasta gives him the Reload action.

There could also be some fun with Krassis Trellix equipping missiles since he can fire them out of his rear arc.

I'm thinking once the Z-95 enters Hyperspace we will see some Kath+Binarye Pirate lists.

I haven't been impressed with what I've seen of the Fangs from watching them on various streamed matches. I know they look like they want to joust but I feel like they make better flankers, just leave off Fearless so you aren't tempted to take things head on. They seem very glass-cannon and even with the dice mods they seem to not give much bang for their buck if your dice are cold.

I haven't tried the MGTies yet, although some Prospectors with Juke could do some work. There is some controversy on the Proach+Yushyn interaction so not sure about flying that.

Overall though, I feel similarly that Hyperspace Scum is rather lackluster at the moment

Han Falcon/Trickshot, Fenn/Predator, Zelous Recruit, OuterRimPioneer/Tactical Officer (200pts)

something like this would be solid.

Han/Trickshot/L3-37/Title, 3x Zealous Recruit (198pts)

would also be decent. Zealous recruits have annoying staying power if you can fight at range one with them thanks to their standoff defensive ability.

After much twisting around through the day, I came out of it with my own observations.  In the current Hyperspace format, the one thing that Scum can do that other factions cannot (or don't want to ) is strip tokens.  So with that in mind, I came up with this:

Han: Trick shot, Qi'ra, hotshot gunne, Lando's millenium falcon.

Old Teroch: Predator

Fenn: predator

Han either blasts full force if he fires from behind a rock (which he can hide on) or at the very least, he shoots at Init 6 with his week 2 dice and strips a token, limiting the damage done to himself and allies.

My thoughts:

Fenn Rau + 2 Bounty Hunters. 200p, so no space for upgrade, but three ships, that can hit really hard and don't die too early. 

Or giving this poor, expensive Boba a chance:

Boba: Slave I + Perceptive Copilot

Fenn Rau: Fearless

This leaves 33p left, so one of these guys:

Captain Seevor/Ahhav: Trick shot - I'm curious, if we will see more medium and large bases in meta play now, if yes, Ahhav may finały shine

or

Lando Carlissian: Tactical oficer

Edited by Nerya

2 hours ago, dotswarlock said:

the one thing that Scum can do that other factions cannot (or don't want to ) is strip tokens

Interesting observation.  I'm just wondering though, is having multiple ways of stripping tokens in the same list good from a synergy point of view?  Is there a risk that Hotshot Gunner is redundant because Old T has already taken tokens away etc.

2 hours ago, eljms said:

Interesting observation.  I'm just wondering though, is having multiple ways of stripping tokens in the same list good from a synergy point of view?  Is there a risk that Hotshot Gunner is redundant because Old T has already taken tokens away etc.

There is, but then again, an opponent can just ignore old Teroch.  When that happens, his ability can't even be used anymore.  I'll try it out during the next game night and see where it leads.

What about trying Boba with Proton Torps and/or Proton Rockets with the Slave 1 title and PerCo Pilot. Seems nasty and expensive but with the right wing mate could be effective.

Here is a Hyperspace Scum list I'm thinking of trying. Have a Quickbuild event this weekend so getting some Fang practice in then. Have a Wave 2 Championship coming up at the end of the month. Call it Neighbor of the Beast (664)

Fang Fighter - Skull Squadron Pilot - 50
    Skull Squadron Pilot - (50)

Fang Fighter - •Fenn Rau - 71
    •Fenn Rau - Skull Leader (68)
        Swarm Tactics (3)

Customized YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Han Solo - 75
    •Han Solo - The Corellian Kid (54)
        Trick Shot (2)
        Perceptive Copilot (8)
        Shield Upgrade (4)
        Hotshot Gunner (7)

Total: 196/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Edited by NeonWolf

You really wanna mess with people?

Captain Seevor and 7 Surveyors, all with Trick Shot.

Just dumb, fun, infuriating lol.

But Han with Title, Trick Shot, L3, and Docked Lando is really very fun, as is Fenn with Predator, or Boba with Han. All these are just very efficient

1 hour ago, Greebwahn said:

Boba with Han

Do you think that's still the way to build Boba with the points hike?  An 11 point increase (Marauder 3->6, Han Gunner 4->12) is substantial.  I'm wondering whether Boba might make better use of the Slave I title now (which has come down to just 2 points) and use his high initiative to make late adjustments to his movement.

Further to this, I wonder whether Slave I + the native boost might be good for lining up Prox Mines.

Perceptive co-pilot is still a good option for him.

Scum seem to have more ways to ignore or benefit from terrain on the battlefield in Hyperspace - Qi'ra, Beckett, Han w Trick Shot, the Mining Guild TIEs, Boba Fett crew - so in my very limited opinion (since we haven't even had a Hyperspace event at my local GS yet), Scum's strengths in the format seem to have a lot to do with terrain effects.  I have a Hyperspace list built that uses Kath Scarlet, two MG TIEs and a Fang Fighter that looks fun in theory...

Fang Fighter - Skull Squadron Pilot - 53
    Skull Squadron Pilot - (50)
        Fearless (3)

Modified TIE/ln Fighter - Mining Guild Surveyor - 27
    Mining Guild Surveyor - (25)
        Trick Shot (2)

Modified TIE/ln Fighter - Mining Guild Surveyor - 27
    Mining Guild Surveyor - (25)
        Trick Shot (2)

Firespray-class Patrol Craft - •Kath Scarlet - 93
    •Kath Scarlet - Captain of the Binayre Pirates (74)
        Perceptive Copilot (8)
        Inertial Dampeners (1)
        •Marauder (6)
        Veteran Tail Gunner (4)

Total: 200/200

I had an Extended Binayre Pirates list built that, in its first iteration, used Kath and three Binayre Pirates (Z-95), each equipped with various annoyance combinations, but very little of that will be legal in Hyperspace, from what I can tell.  The list also didn't work very well - Z-95s are fragile when you're trying to get them close to enemies for Kath's ability.

Edited by feltipern1

1 hour ago, eljms said:

Do you think that's still the way to build Boba with the points hike?  An 11 point increase (Marauder 3->6, Han Gunner 4->12) is substantial.  I'm wondering whether Boba might make better use of the Slave I title now (which has come down to just 2 points) and use his high initiative to make late adjustments to his movement.

Further to this, I wonder whether Slave I + the native boost might be good for lining up Prox Mines.

Perceptive co-pilot is still a good option for him.

Maybe not! I've always though Boba with only PerCo is great. Slave 1 just helps him get to range 1. For 10 point, thats pretty darn good

Firespray-class Patrol Craft - •Boba Fett - 115
    •Boba Fett - Notorious Bounty Hunter (86)
        Proton Rockets (7)
        Perceptive Copilot (8)
        •Slave I (2)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)

Customized YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Han Solo - 83
        Trick Shot (2)
        Proton Rockets (7)
        Perceptive Copilot (8)
        •Qi’ra (2)
        Rigged Cargo Chute (4)
        •Lando’s Millennium Falcon (6)

Total: 198/200

Seems fun at a minimum. Lots of possible firepower, lots of HP, and some ability to always have multiple green tokens. Competitive  who knows.

Edited by Cgriffith
Spelling

12 minutes ago, Cgriffith said:

Firespray-class Patrol Craft - •Boba Fett - 115
    •Boba Fett - Notorious Bounty Hunter (86)
        Proton Rockets (7)
        Perceptive Copilot (8)
        •Slave I (2)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)

Customized YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Han Solo - 83
        Trick Shot (2)
        Proton Rockets (7)
        Perceptive Copilot (8)
        •Qi’ra (2)
        Rigged Cargo Chute (4)
        •Lando’s Millennium Falcon (6)

Total: 198/200

Seems fun at a minimum. Lots of possible firepower, lots of HP, and some ability to always have multiple green tokens. Competitive  who knows.

Can shave a point off Boba running Trick Shot, Perceptive Copilot, Marauder, and Han Gunner on him. Not sure what you'd pair him with, but that is there.

Bringing this thread back, because it's relevant again.

Scum were a noteworthy flop at the Toronto System Open. Points were not kind to us - 3 of our hyperspace ships and several of our staple hyperspace upgrades got more expensive, with very little getting revised down.

Also, we're seeing the post-points meta beginning to shake out. Things like 5x Y-Wings, Leia 4-ship, and slimmer Kylo/Vader builds have started to make waves, and in general the wave 2 factions had strong showings at Toronto.

So, what options / builds / strategies do Scum have to leverage in this new environment? 

I've been trying to figure that out myself.  I tried flying Han with the Hotshot gunner...didn't strip any tokens because my opponent was running ProTorps and just kept taking locks instead of Focus.

I also tried a Kath+4x Surveyor with Intimidate.  It might be good in the hands of a skilled Tie pilot, which I am not. I'm having a hard time coming up with anything in Hyperspace Scum that looks halfway decent, much less fun. Fangs die way too easy, Han's firepower is situational and he can be focused down easily. The only thing we are getting with Wave 3 is Z-95's which aren't any better than the MGTies and the only cheap missile is the Ion...and lets not talk about Ion in 2.0.

If someone is seeing something I'm not, I'd love to hear it

Edited by NeonWolf

After the Z comes out we do have the most swarm options out of all factions

Maybe something like this?

Outer Rim Pioneer (28)    
    Tactical Officer (2)    

Ship total: 30  Half Points: 15  Threshold: 2    

Lando Calrissian (Scum) (Escape Craft) (29)    
    Tactical Officer (2)    

Ship total: 31  Half Points: 16  Threshold: 2    

Mining Guild Sentry (24)    
Ship total: 24  Half Points: 12  Threshold: 2    

Mining Guild Sentry (24)    
Ship total: 24  Half Points: 12  Threshold: 2    

Binayre Pirate (24)    
    Concussion Missiles (6)    

Binayre Pirate (24)    
    Concussion Missiles (6)    

Binayre Pirate (24)    
    Concussion Missiles (6)    

Total: 199    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v5!s!94:-1,61,-1:;93:-1,61,-1:;304:-1:;304:-1:;159:99,-1,-1:;159:99,-1,-1:;159:99,-1,-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Otherwise the only advantage we have is terrain synergy.

Maybe this: 

2x Bounty Hunter w/Perceptive Copilot

2x Mining Guild Surveyors w/Crackshot

Two Firesprays are fairly beefy, and the crack-TIEs can be annoying, or switched for a Fang. Any thoughts (because I'm currently going to run a Imp TIE swarm unless I can find somethingdecwnt in Scum Hyperspace)?

On 1/31/2019 at 12:30 AM, dotswarlock said:

There is, but then again, an opponent can just ignore old Teroch.  When that happens, his ability can't even be used anymore.  I'll try it out during the next game night and see where it leads.

Arguably not if he's determined to get in your face. 

I think token stripping is a good call for a mechanical scum strength - I'd probably want to pair it with Juke, which is the best way to turn the useful 'you don't have any tokens' into a more advantageous 'I do more damage when I shoot you'. 

Mining Guild TIEs are the only juke-carriers I can think of. Mining Guild Surveyors with Juke come in at a nice round 30 points.

And since we're talking token-stripping in support of a swarm, don't forget Seevor and Proach*.

* All right, that's a tractor token, but the net effect is still "wait a minute, I had three green dice with focus and evade a minute ago, how am I getting shot by TIE fighters?"

Edited by Magnus Grendel

I have seen a Hyperspace viable list on a stream:

Han Solo with 5 Ties.

But since I played with Lando + Han Solo (docked autopilot) + OldT. I can say that 3 ships in Hyperspace do nothing good, the first few engagements are OK but afterwards it gets messy and you probably will have less opportunity to pull something good.

My matches in a 6 player Hyperspace tourney was bad, only took one win and only because my opponent made a few minor but in the end huge mistakes. We had 4 out of 6 player Tie swarm lists, two with the Reaper in it and one with Darth Vader. All of the Ties were named ones, and they were brutal with all the rerolls, damage outputs and with that one Tie fighter being able to cancel all dmg dealt OMG - too strong.

So I was thinking of another approach to Hyperspace, which seems legit and might get you somewhere. Han Solo with Ties OR Boba with Ties are both legit and brutal lists. The only problem is with Han, his ability is somewhat hard to pull out at some point and big base ship who only rolls 2 dice (yes a beefy ship I know). But Boba straight into any ships or swarm and Ties from the side to follow up and deal in total 8 red dice, at least you trade damage into damage.

Well this was the observation at that hyperspace. It seems very red dice + mods heavy meta at the moment, and other factions can trigger way better re-rolls. So better to have some damage output yourself and you are good to go.

Fenn Rau is still good. Old Teroch is still good, and cheaper. 

Increasingly I'm turning towards Mining TIEs to get me where I need to go. Trick Shot as a decentralized Howl stand-in.

I still feel like our HS list has legs. Its done well against various things and where it hasnt, piloting was very much to blame.

Boba + PerCo and Slave One. Teroch + Swarm Tactics and a Zealous Recruit.

Its all about managing the 1st engagement. Jousting into range 1 and getting hammered is an easy error. Even if they're designed that way, dice will crap out. 

If you can split your opponents fire and minimize the damage you take early on, then you can park everyone at R1 and do the real damage, they're very hard to shake once there and forcing turns on your opponent. Slave 1 can help a lot there too, against lower init bulk. It's an ace list and even with the R1, head on bonuses, needs to be flown like one.