f0rbiddenc00kie

When to use a 0-pt Jamming Beam

It has uses.  Not many, but I know it does.  This thread is to compile a list of situations on which Jamming Beam is useful.

I'll start with getting the most obvious out of the way... free cannon shots via the "Xg-1 Assault Configuration" on the Alpha-Class Star Wing and IG-88B's pilot ability.

EDIT: Best suggestions
- stripping "Reinforce"
- focus fire
- denying torpedo shots (especially from 2-ATK primary carriers)
- stalling (for MoV, regenerating, etc.)
- when you know an opponent wants to use tokens for offense instead of defense
- stopping a TIE-Phantom from re-cloaking
- disabling "Juke"
- setting up for a following turn with "ISB Slicer"

Edited by f0rbiddenc00kie

To strip reinforce off for a TIE swarm.

IG-88 free shot

To counter Tripsilon Alpha and strip their Hyperspace token stack.

Actually that last one… that may be a very helpful thing. At 1AGI there is a good chance of stripping multiple tokens, if you are using a hypothetical list with 3 ships shooting (or at the same initiative) as a Lambda? Taking the shot to strip off the reinforce and some other tokens before it shoots would not be a bad idea.

High initiative aces can jam away a lock before the protons hit, now for free.

Well, if any have cannon slots...

Taking a 2-point ISB slicer and a free jamming beam is a great way to give some aces a lot of trouble with your Lambda.

Two I2 B-wings with HLC and JB. Hit first with the one that doesn’t have bullseye or Range 1. Then blast them.

Generally speaking, anything that softens someone up for a later, meaner attack is nice.

Hmm. Yeah I feel like IG is the best use and I can see the Star Wing for sure. Also reinforce and setting up attacks is a good point.

Other ships with cannons: B-Wings, Upsilon, TIE/D, T-70, etc. But I think for those, I'd almost always want to do damage instead of take tokens. Especially with an Upsilon throwing 4 dice. The only situation I can imagine I would use jamming beam would be this:

- Time is up, and my jamming beam ship can shoot an enemy before that enemy ship can fire on one of my ships that is close to half or close to destroyed, and the mov my opponent would get would from halfing/destroying would make them win. Jamming would hopefully lead to an unmodded attack on my ship and give me better odds.

- This also presumes that a normal attack from my jamming beam ship would not stand any chance to gain mov that would impact the game result through halfing/destroying the enemy ship, or removing it before it could shoot

15 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

What does Jam actually even do?

Removes a green token or lock, OR gives the ship a jam token that sticks around until a green token is produced. (Basically you deny a ship from taking token actions).

Scyks can equip it for free as well.

On your Serissu, stripping tokens early in the round.

Gemesis Red, pseudo Biggs, he draws a lot of hate and aggro. If he has a Jamming Beam, people might be even more tempted to attack him instead of what they actually should attack in order to break your list('s back). Although I prefer Tractor on him, but if you are pressed for points the garbage, eh, jam will do.

If you have Sunny Bounder as potential blocker, she can, if she survives until late in the round, strip off target locks in before the next round. As said, it does not cost more to equip one on her.

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Taking a 2-point ISB slicer and a free jamming beam is a great way to give some aces a lot of trouble with your Lambda

Explain this more, it sounds interesting. 

Something came to mind.  What kind of pilots or upgrade cards have abilities that require a token to work?  You know... using Jamming Beam to stop ability interactions and combos, like throwing a wrench in an opponent's plan.  Only one that comes to mind is Rexler Brath's pilot ability requiring an evade token to flip a damage card and also as someone mentioned using a high initiative Jamming Beam to stop a missile/torpedo attack.  I'm sure some more are out there.

Edited by f0rbiddenc00kie

9 minutes ago, f0rbiddenc00kie said:

Something came to mind.  What kind of pilots or upgrade cards have abilities that require a token to work?  You know... using Jamming Beam to stop ability interactions and combos, like throwing a wrench in an opponent's plan.  Only one that comes to mind is Rexler Brath's pilot ability requiring an evade token to flip a damage card and also as someone mentioned using a high initiative Jamming Beam to stop a missile/torpedo attack.  I'm sure some more are out there.

Phantoms for their free cloak action during the End Phase. Anything running Juke.

I genuinely think killing Reinforce is the single biggest use - if you have - say - 4 3-dice shots, 4 at a reinforced target is generally worse than 3 at an unreinforced target.

That goes double for a swarmier squad (hello Scyks) and if the points drop finally persuades the VT-49 Decimator to leave the dockyard again, it's a very relevant ability (especially since Rear Admiral Chiraneau's ability requires you to be reinforced).

I would only ever use it if I had a double tap.  If I have the option to use cannon or blaster, ill do blaster as it will usually strip a token from them anyways in defence, plus I could do damage.   Like others have said, I think this was custom made for the IG ships. :(  Bring back double tap tie d pls..

If torpedoes continue to be a thing, then being able to roll up on a torpedo carrier knowing you can remove their target lock seems pretty good. 

Even with triple T70s, I would probably give up one of my attacks to prevent a 4-dice coming back. Not sure if that's logically right, but it feels better.

Edited by ayedubbleyoo

It's a free GET THAT TOKEN STACK AWAY tool. Can be nice sometimes, and it costs literally nothing to add on your ship (unless you have a better canon to add). It's gonna be glued to my Upsilon, I'll record every use of it for later analysis. I do not expect many data points :p

Anything with an unused cannon slot will have niche use of it, as stated primarily when your list will do more damage with tokens removed than if the ship with Jamming Beam had tried to just shoot the enemy.

One other thing I want to try at some point when I get a couple more Gunboats is Krennic Jendon, Optimized Xg-1 Jamming Nu, and 3 Os-1 Nus. Optimized Prototype doesn't care about what kind of attack you use, so you can spend a result on your Jamming Beam to "mod" a focus into unavoidable shield damage/flip hit into crit and still potentially strip tokens, then unload your ordnance with the other Nus. Kind of like a pseudo Homing Missile that doesn't require Target Lock or run out of charges and strips tokens as a secondary effect.

Edited by Enigami

5 minutes ago, Enigami said:

Anything with an unused cannon slot will have niche use of it, as stated primarily when your list will do more damage with tokens removed than if the ship with Jamming Beam had tried to just shoot the enemy.

One other thing I want to try at some point when I get a couple more Gunboats is Krennic Jendon, Optimized Xg-1 Jamming Nu, and 3 Os-1 Nus. Optimized Prototype doesn't care about what kind of attack you use, so you can spend a result on your Jamming Beam to "mod" a focus into unavoidable shield damage/flip hit into crit and still potentially strip tokens, then unload your ordnance with the other Nus.

Optimized Prototype works only on Primary Attacks. 

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - Omicron Group Pilot - 61
    Omicron Group Pilot - (43)
        Collision Detector (6)
        Jamming Beam (0)
        ISB Slicer (3)
        •0-0-0 (5)
        Shield Upgrade (4)

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - •Lieutenant Sai - 69
    •Lieutenant Sai - Death Squadron Veteran (47)
        Collision Detector (6)
        Jamming Beam (0)
        •Director Krennic (5)
        Freelance Slicer (3)
        Shield Upgrade (4)
        •ST-321 (4)

Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle - Omicron Group Pilot - 70
    Omicron Group Pilot - (43)
        Collision Detector (6)
        Jamming Beam (0)
        •Darth Vader (14)
        ISB Slicer (3)
        Shield Upgrade (4)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Too much?

9 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

What does Jam actually even do?

Spreads on toast, much like jelly, but tastes better in my opinion.

1 minute ago, KaLeu said:

Optimized Prototype works only on Primary Attacks. 

Rats! Somehow I missed that. Well, good thing you pointed that out before I bought those Gunboats then!

What killed jamming for me is that they made jam tokens be discarded at the end of the round. That removes the motivation to add it low initiative pilots. It should have remained as it was in 1.0.

Edited by Azrapse