Sign in to follow this  
Bertie Wooster

Nav token and Engine Techs

Let's say I have Engine Techs on Demolisher. On turn 1, Demo reveals a navigate dial. Demo spends the dial to gain a nav token for a later turn. Demo does not use the nav token this turn. 

Am I correct in believing Demo cannot use Engine Techs this turn? My understanding is that you have to resolve a navigate command in order to use ET, but Demo spent the dial instead of resolving a navigate command. 

30 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

Let's say I have Engine Techs on Demolisher. On turn 1, Demo reveals a navigate dial. Demo spends the dial to gain a nav token for a later turn. Demo does not use the nav token this turn. 

Am I correct in believing Demo cannot use Engine Techs this turn? My understanding is that you have to resolve a navigate command in order to use ET, but Demo spent the dial instead of resolving a navigate command. 

Technically, you could still activate engine techs if you did decide to then spend the token ( you would miss out on the extra yaw afforded by the dial though). Seeing as you are not going to spend the token, you are correct - no engine techs this turn.

Just spending the original nav dial to get the token is not enough to trigger engine techs. You didn't spend the dial to resolve the command, you only spent it to get a matching token. If you check page 5 of the rules reference, upgrade cards with the command icon as a header can only be resolved when the ship is resolving the matching command.

Edited by jp82729

As said, you must resolve the Command.

Resolving the Command is completely separate to “Reveal Command dial”.

”Reveal Command dial” includes notvonky showing, but deciding if you will keep the dial, or turn it into a token.

If that’s all you do, you have not resolved a Command.

Commands are resolved st their respective times - for Repair and Squad, that’s right after thevteveal dial step.

For conFire, that’s while shooting.

for Navigate, that’s while maneuvering - so that’s a good indication of wetherbtou can engibevtech or not... “did I spend a Command thingy while maneuvering?”

Dials and Tokens must be spent specifically to RESOLVE the Command. You can then elect to not use the benefit granted for doing so, but they must still be spent in one of the 3 allowed formats of command. (Dial, Token, Dial+Token)

Edited by Drasnighta

So, if I want to use a nav token to activate engine techs (maybe because I dialed in another command), I do need to actually change my ship's speed during the navigate step, correct?

Sorry for the noob clarification, but I discovered the joys of Engine Techs GSD a couple of weeks ago, and want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Can someone please confirm my understanding and/or correct me where I'm wrong please:

Situation 1

Navigate on the dial. Does not take token. Does not have to use the benefits of dial, but can still use Engine Techs?

Situation 2

Navigate on dial, Takes token. Unable to use Engine Techs?

Situation 3

Another order on dial (Conc Fire, Squadrons, Engineering), but has a navigate token, which is spent (do not have to use benefit of token). Able to use Engine Techs?

Situation 4 (for sake of completeness)

Another order on dial, no navigate token, unable to use Engine Techs.

Thanks.