Magnus Grendel

TIE/v1 Advanced Prototype

I have never really looked at the TIE/v1 - largely because I only own one and that through the charity of a friend - but I was looking at the points changes and they seem to have gotten really, really good (and it looks like they were already good, day 1 in 2nd edition).

I'm not talking about the named pilots, but the generics:

• Baron Of The Empire
    • Now 33 points - meaning you can have 6 of these zippy little buggers in a squad.
    • Compared to a TIE/fo, they have the same agility, durability (although they get 2 shields, 2 hull rather than 1 shield, 3 hull, which is slightly better), and primary weapon firepower
    • They get a dramatically better action bar - native boost with a link into focus, and adding linked focus onto barrel roll.
    • They are initiative 3, the equal of the Omega Squadron Ace.
    • They get all 3 speeds of bank manoeuvre.
  • Inquisitor
    • Reduced in cost to 38 points, Supernatural Reflexes also reduced to 8 points for an Initiative 3 pilot means they cost only 46 points all-up (leaving points for Homing Missiles for long range engagements).
    • Since the TIE/v1 has focus linked to boost and barrel roll, you can use supernatural reflexes to boost or roll, then perform the linked action, then perform a blue manoeuvre, then target lock or evade, making the inquisitor one of the (relatively rare) ships which can generate two tokens off its own bat, and whilst pulling a 135' turn (bank boost & speed 1 turn), no less.
    • Alternatively, with Fire Control System now only 2 points, you can fit 5 Inquisitors so equipped - getting rerolls off a sustained lock and free focus-to-hit/focus-to-evade off force charge and linked focus actions, letting you concentrate on using the TIE/v1's awesome tight turning circle.

7 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:
  • Inquisitor
    • Reduced in cost to 38 points, Supernatural Reflexes also reduced to 8 points for an Initiative 3 pilot means they cost only 46 points all-up (leaving points for Homing Missiles for long range engagements).

Alas, Homing went up to 5 points.

4x Ion Missile SNR Inquisitors looks kinda cool, though.

6 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

4x Ion Missile SNR Inquisitors looks kinda cool, though.

I think Ion missiles are a pretty great buy for 2-dice ships. After all, if you can get 1 hit through, that's normally all your primary weapons could ever do, and getting 1 hit reliably, especially at range 3, is a pretty big deal. The occasional ion token is just gravy.

The generic Inquisitor is the best pilot in the game, people just haven't noticed it yet. ;) Since the points changes I've been playing this list:

Colonel Jendon (46)

• Director Krennic (5)
  • Hull Upgrade (3)
  • Jamming Beam (0)

Inquisitor (38)

• Fire-Control System (2)
  • Concussion Missiles (6)

Inquisitor (38)

Seventh Sister (46)

• Optimized Prototype

200/200

Krennic is mostly there to give Jendon a lock, but I've found that it can be useful to have him lock something reasonably tank with lots of shields, while Seventh Sister locks a softer target like a Y-Wing. If she can shoot her target, great, if she can't she's got a second option. Roll focus/blank, strip a shield and keep your tokens. Hull Upgrade takes the Lambda into the odd points, which is nice, although I'm thinking of swapping it out for Hate on SS. It just might save her from being focus fired to death if I make a mistake.

Anyway, I generally grab the locks T1 and do 1-banks and 2-straights until I know where my opponent is going, taking evades every turn. Since Redline is mostly out of the picture, relatively few lists wants a long range firefight with forceful, evading missile launchers, but if they try to get close, my middling initiative and amazing dials means that I have either a) the best blockers in the game, or b) pretty scary budget aces. In the late game, 1-on-1, an Inquisitor is nearly invulnerable with its great dial, high agility and token stack, and if it gets to shoot, FCS and force ensure it usually hits as well. If my intact Inquisitor is facing off against a half-dead Wedge, Poe or Vader, I'm most likely going to win.

With a decent long range weapon and a dial that's great for knife fighting, I have very few bad matchups. I've beaten Rebel, Resistance and Empire trip I5-6 aces, Rebel alpha strike lists, Brobots and Fat Turrets, and I am currently 8-1 with this list. The one game I did lose was against a weird Rebel list with coordinators and AdvS B-Wings. I should have slowrolled and pelted him with missiles, but I'm not used to ships that can knife fight even better than mine, and stupidly got in close. I imagine Phantoms could be a challenge, but in the one game I had against Whisper, Seventh Sister managed to corner her and smack her with a conc. In any case, a ship with no re-rolls will struggle to hit a tokened-up Inquisitor.

My take on this is here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/289580-jendon’s-inquisitors/?tab=comments#comment-3599100

My list is very similar to Okapi's and I think it has a lot of potential, I've played it three times and have yet to lose a ship.  There is *so* much action economy.

I'm not sold on SNR for them.  Where they shine is passive mods (FCS / force), great dials and essentially constant 3 dice attacks.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:02 PM, Magnus Grendel said:

I think Ion missiles are a pretty great buy for 2-dice ships. After all, if you can get 1 hit through, that's normally all your primary weapons could ever do, and getting 1 hit reliably, especially at range 3, is a pretty big deal. The occasional ion token is just gravy.

Yeah, I was just flying Seventh Sister in a Quick Build list last night. She comes with Homing Missiles, and while I didn't have a chance to use them in that particular game, I weighed out the math of taking a Range 3 shot with her two die attack vs just throwing a potential TL + Force 4 die missile and letting my opponent take 1 auto damage. Honestly, the 1 damage is probably better than what you would get against a modestly agile or modded target at range 3 with her two dice.

2 hours ago, eljms said:

My take on this is here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/289580-jendon’s-inquisitors/?tab=comments#comment-3599100

My list is very similar to Okapi's and I think it has a lot of potential, I've played it three times and have yet to lose a ship.  There is *so* much action economy.

I'm not sold on SNR for them.  Where they shine is passive mods (FCS / force), great dials and essentially constant 3 dice attacks.

Got in a couple more games today, against Wedge/Jake/Lando. Killed everything and lost half a Lambda in game #1, lost an Inquisitor and a half in game #2, and my opponent conceded when a Jendon and Seventh Sister came bearing down on a shieldless Jake.

Have you found any tricky matchups yet? After a few decent games with Jendon/Seventh Sister/Vynder/Scimitar I felt I was onto something, but I half expected triple v1s to be some kind of fun gimmick that might win me a couple of games. I mean, everyone else seems to agree that the ship is bad, and I've never seen anyone but myself even put it on the table in 2.0. Never knew I'd be winning more games than I ever have with this list. :P

5 hours ago, Okapi said:

Have you found any tricky matchups yet?

No, but I'm yet to face a genuine 'aces' list and I think that might make life hard.

With Seventh Sister what's the big plus, her ability or just the extra force token?  I've been running Sloane on the lambda shuttle to try and push my opponent to target that or punish them if they don't with the double stress.  I'm going to stick with that for at least a little while but there's some good options for different crew (Palpatine, Ciena Ree) or trying something more like your list.

16 hours ago, Okapi said:

Krennic is mostly there to give Jendon a lock

I'm guessing you wanted the optimized prototype enough not to consider the lambda title instead (not only a lock, but a free one with coordinate!)

Edited by eljms

7 hours ago, eljms said:

No, but I'm yet to face a genuine 'aces' list and I think that might make life hard.

About half of my matches were against trip I5-6 aces, and I won all of them. Since they have to roll/boost (or both!) to avoid getting shot, they tend not to get double mods, and a single modded attack on an Inquisitor rarely does any damage if he's been a good boy and grabbed his evade token.

With Seventh Sister what's the big plus, her ability or just the extra force token? 

Both, really. It makes her a little tougher, and when she doesn't get shot at, that ability can be really, really good. Usually it just lets me force through another damage point, but sometimes I get to do something really cool. Maybe I roll a crit and a blank with my attack. My opponent rolls blank/evade/focus, and has a focus token. Does he spend the focus? If he doesn't, I'll spend two force and give him a crit. If he does, I'll just save it and be happy to be rid of his token. If his ship has wingmates with facedown cards on them, and my attack was with a Concussion Missile, it's also another way of guaranteeing some flips.

I've been running Sloane on the lambda shuttle to try and push my opponent to target that or punish them if they don't with the double stress.  I'm going to stick with that for at least a little while but there's some good options for different crew (Palpatine, Ciena Ree) or trying something more like your list.

I'm guessing you wanted the optimized prototype enough not to consider the lambda title instead (not only a lock, but a free one with coordinate!)

Those 8 points (Krennic and Hull Upgrade/Hate) are pretty much open. I've gone with Krennic for two reasons: 1) He synergizes with Jendons ability, letting him grab the lock alongside the other ships, and 2) he lets Jendon and Seventh Sister lock two different targets. Generally, I have her lock my opponent's most vulnerable ace (typically an X-Wing, a Fang or Soontir Fel), and Jendon lock his or her toughest ace (an A-Wing, a Phantom, Vader or a Defender). This way, she can either fire a missile at her intended target, or she can take a random pot shot at Jendon's target, laugh in the face of all their agility and tokens, and strip off a shield.

Shoot at a tokened up Jake at R3 through a rock last night, rolled a blank and a focus. Well, let's take off a shield then.

I suppose the title could be just as good, since it would let the Lambda switch targets a lot more, by against my ace opponents it tends not to shoot much anyway. I think I'll stick with Krennic for now, but I'm not married to him or anything.

Sloane is an interesting choice. The reason I originally decided against her was that I so rarely lose a ship that it almost doesn't matter. On the other hand, it does give me some insurance against double mods and turnaround maneuvers. I could fit her in if I demoted one of the Inquisitors to an Ion Dude.

Here's another variant I'm keep to try out:

Colonel Jendon (46)

• The Grand Inquisitor (14)
  • Jamming Beam (0)
  • ST-321 (4)

Inquisitor (38)

Inquisitor (38)

Inquisitor (38)

• Ion Missiles (4)

200/200

I'd have to lose Seventh Sister and one of the Concs, but this seems interesting. Everyone is I3, which is nice when moving, and it lets my do my coordinate move at my opponents highest iniative value. There has to be power in that. Poe wants to k-turn? Well, let's roll that Inquisitor over there and block him! Vader is disengaging to recharge? Well, then that Inquisitor isn't getting shot at this turn, so lets lock Whisper! Also, free ST-321 lock for Jendon, also at I6.

Edited by Okapi

When the army builder ask for a name I first called it tri-v1. Then I realized that "v1" was similar to "bl" so i finally called "Trials and triv1-ations" (there's a star trek episode called "trials and tribble-ations" which is mentioned in the big bang theory show).

Is that a good name for this  lists or I should get banned from the forum (and life)?

Edited by DexterV

Any list name will do. This ship has a horrible name anyway? TIE Advanced Prototype? Too long! TAP? Sounds dumb! TIE Advanced v1? Too similar to TIE Advanced x1! Just v1? That's hardly a name, and has that silly iPhone-like spelling with an initial lowercase letter.

In any case, I'm calling mine No One Expects It.

After flying  a lot of Vader, I have been looking at the TIE/v1 more as another source of Imperial force users, but I do not have a lot of table time in 2E yet. I did fly it a lot during 1E, however. While I know questions about bids are very local meta dependent, for those of you that have put the Grand Inquisitor on the table, how important do you feel Force Powers and the FCS are as opposed to winning the Player Order bid? I was thinking of something like this, and am arguing with including Hate/FCS:

“Whisper” (54)
Juke (5)
Collision Detector (6)
Fifth Brother (9)

Grand Inquisitor (56)
Proton Rockets (7)

Seventh Sister (46)
Proton Rockets (7)

Total: 190

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

On 2/6/2019 at 2:54 PM, Okapi said:

Have you found any tricky matchups yet?

I've been flying this a bit more.  My version is the TIEv1 with Concussion Missiles and FCS x3 plus Jendon with the title and Sloane.

I had a couple of very tight games against fairly tanky lists, one narrow win, one narrow loss.  The loss was against two U-wings and Luke where the U-wings had Perceptive Co-pilot and with Jyn on one they had focus / evade most turns.  My three dice attacks needed to turn up all hits or I wasn't hurting them at all.  I didn't fly it great but it took longer to take them down than I thought it would.  At the end of the game I had one full health TIE and a damaged Jendon left, he still had a full health Luke.

I've got a few more games in, and I'm 11-3 with the list. The losses were against said B-Wings, and a Poe/Nien/Ello list. The latter one was mostly down to luck (although he is a skilled player). Fired three Concussion Missiles into tokenless Nien and Poe, but due to him rolling blanks, re-rolling into double evades three times in a row. I'd have flipped the table if I didn't like the guy. :P Got Poe down relatively early, but the game ended with my ships dead, Nien at 1 HP and Ello at 3 HP.

In retrospect, maybe ships with "free" turnaround moves like Ello, Nien and Defenders are a challenge for this list. It's hard to block both a 4k and a 1-straight. Maybe I need to get creative with the Lambda.

Edited by Okapi

I took this list to my FLGS for a couple casual games and it was really effective:

Sigma Squadron Ace with Juke and Stealth Device

Rexler with Juke

7th Sister with Hate and Prockets

Since 7th Sister only has 4 hit points total, Hate didn't work as well as I wanted it too (I really like it with Kylo), and Stealth Device seems like overkill. I'm thinking of swapping those out and putting 5th brother on the Phantom so as to have 2 Force users.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, fantomenos said:

I took this list to my FLGS for a couple casual games and it was really effective:

Sigma Squadron Ace with Juke and Stealth Device

Rexler with Juke

7th Sister with Hate and Prockets

Since 7th Sister only has 4 hit points total, Hate didn't work as well as I wanted it too (I really like it with Kylo), and Stealth Device seems like overkill. I'm thinking of swapping those out and putting 5th brother on the Phantom so as to have 2 Force users.

Holy moly.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? 

Rex- Juke.

Echo- Juke, 5th Bro

7th Sis.

Why have I not thought of this before?

I've been obsessed with fitting Vizier into my lists. Right, I'm trying this on Thursday.

Thanks for the prod :)

Edited by Cuz05
Rex- hey, spend your focus. Echo- you spend that focus, or else. Sev- you really wanna spend that focus?

I absolutely love the v1. I used it extensively in 1.0 and have started using it in 2.0. I’ve become fond of barons and inquisitors using cluster missiles. It doesn’t help at range three, but it has the potential to double the attacks of your ships. The action economy on these ships are great (as have been mentioned before).  I love the mass amounts of barons you can field. Inquisitors have infinitely better options with that force point. Supernatural reflexes are incredible on them, but I also like instinctive aim with the clusters for when that target lock just happens to be on the wrong ship. With the knife fighting these things can do, those clusters are deadly when firing several a round. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Holy moly.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? 

Rex- Juke.

Echo- Juke, 5th Bro

7th Sis.

Why have I not thought of this before?

I've been obsessed with fitting Vizier into my lists. Right, I'm trying this on Thursday.

Thanks for the prod :)

Let me know how it works out!

I've settled on this for tomorrow:

TIE/ph Phantom - Sigma Squadron Ace - 60
    Sigma Squadron Ace - (46)
        Juke (5)
        •Fifth Brother (9)

TIE/D Defender - •Rexler Brath - 87
    •Rexler Brath - Onyx Leader (82)
        Juke (5)

TIE Advanced v1 - •Seventh Sister - 53
    •Seventh Sister - Sadistic Interrogator (46)
        Proton Rockets (7)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I think the prockets are worth using a sigma instead of Whisper, especially to terrorize U-Wings.

Edited by fantomenos
autocorrect...

Info on what Passive Sensors might be is here.  Is there a better source than that?  Is it actually a confirmed thing?

At the moment I fly Jendon with three inquisitors, each with concussion missiles and FCS.  With Jendon getting me target locks beyond range 3 my main issue is that I'm limited to targeting something that won't find it easy to run away.  However, it does mean that I enter into combat with TLs and evade tokens (as well as the force).  I guess Passive Sensors might let me ditch Jendon for another ace.

I'm not keen on SNR for the lower initiative ships.  Generally I'm just going to want the force as a passive mod.

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2019 at 4:03 AM, fantomenos said:

Let me know how it works out!

Rex, Echo, Sev.... Were disgustingly good!

I think my match ups last night were favourable, so that could be a factor- 2 Bounty Hunters+ PerCo and Probombs with a VTG Yion- Tavson, Muse, Longshot, Quickdraw.

Basically, I had Init on all but one ship and there wasn't loads of them, allowed me to decently dodge the joust and then just ace it up.

Used Rex as an early bystander, I wanted to bait but neither took it.

Sev attempted to flank, hit R1 and out of arc asap. I'm not too bothered if that means sitting in one or two 'soft' arcs on the way, or at her destination. 

Echo stations between the 2 as a sniper before swooping aggressively into whatever space opens up.

Then Rex closes.

Worked beautifully all round. 1st game, Sev went in with Echo on the Y, my opponents turn zero error. Echo skipped out again to range dodge but Sev started getting blocked and shot up. However, she is really quite survivable, take the evade if possible and she's token stacked. Or you just roll amazing greens in key moments, like I did.

Rex zoomed up and finished the Y. My oppo expected him to pincer and sent a BH way out of the way to intercept, but no. So all 3 set up at R1 of the other BH and spanked him down over 2 turns.

2nd game, the gambles just paid off, dodged the joust, limited the Upsilon to 1 shot all game. Got a block on QD with Rex after a 5 straight into the mix, Sev had snuck round and took 2 shields off, no bonus shot for QD. Next turn, Echo swept in, put QD on 1 health, both QDs attacks went into Sev at R3 and evading, no damage. Then Sevs ability took QD off the table.

Interestingly, throwing Sev in early was kind of key, that recharging, full arc Crack Shot and general squirrellyness had both opponents turn on her and try to catch her straight away. Which is great for Rex and Echo.

My 1st oppo should've taken her out, she was lucky, but he had to devote so much energy to achieve it, it opened the board for Rex. My 2nd oppo turned towards her on turn 2 but I'd expected it, she was not catchable. That distraction was pivotal for Rex, and then Sev obviously got to sweep round and beat up QD.

What a brilliant 46pt.

Really enjoyed using all 3. So it's my tourney list for the wknd now. I think the match ups I'll face are gonna give me some new headaches. Generic spam, Rebel beef and Wedge seem prevalent round here atm, so I'm gonna be spending time without Init or attempting to punch enough damage into chunky ships without being caught. Could be tricky.

Btw, Prockets sure are attractive but the unpredictability that Echo brings is priceless, she can station where she needs to be to support either Rex or Sev like nothing else. I've also been trying to leverage her decloak as a blocking mechanism, the bendyness makes it pretty effective. Highly recommend.

Although I would very much like the Procket damage spike as well :D

Edited by Cuz05

Cuz05: sounds like you gave 'em a workout! Can't wait to hear how the tourney turns out. My local meta is a lot of tanky Rebel lists (UYYY etc) so I like this set of ships for that.

I agree that getting 7th out early can keep the opponent off balance and not focusing on Rex, who's obviously a great finisher.

My limited experience flying Echo had me getting in my own way, I definitely need practice with the bendy de-cloaking.

I'm now thinking dropping the phantom altogether and using Inq+SNR, since that's one of the few pilots who can afford it. One of my local players said he'd bring his 4 Inq list in next week. 

6 hours ago, Yearfire said:

I think an Inquisitor with Supernatural might be the forth ship to fly with 3 phantoms with juke.

Or 2 of each? Either way, it'd keep your opponent guessing.

5 hours ago, fantomenos said:

My limited experience flying Echo had me getting in my own way, I definitely need practice with the bendy de-cloaking.

Understandable. It's risky with obstacles sometimes. I still occasionally only half think a move and find her not where I expected :D