Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

Should E-wings and TIE Defenders be given the Tech slot? (what about other Rebel/Imperial ships?)

So points and upgrade slots have been released. All A-wings get a talent, "Null" loses its talent. And everyone is happy or unhappy depending on your personal expectation or whims. So come to mind is the slot that starts in a faction but then goes to other factions, and that is tech. Well before tech there was also illicit which was a hallmark of the scum faction but then it soon spread to the scummy rebels. Now you see the resistance, and maybe the Separatists. 

So which takes us to tech. Is was a slot specifically for the Resistance and 1st Order Subfaction but now that they are their own faction should it remain with those factions all together? Granted like the illicit slot is not a universal slot across all factions (Empire still doesn't have any) I think tech should be spread out beyond the sequel factions because face it, except for rolling droids, hyperspace trackers and planets terraformed into basestars, not much has changed on the technology front. So it should be that this new equipment has had some beginnings within their predecessors. 

The first ship that comes to mind is of course the advanced but rather rare and limited TIE Defender. In 1st edition this thing only had a missile slot, also a cannon but you get the idea. It should have had more. The next ship that comes into mind is what is supposed to be the A-wing/X-wing hybrid the E-wing. An Advanced ship that at first was more expensive but the FFG finally realized that, well they didn't give it anything to make it the superior ship it was supposed to be in the fluff. Although the system slot was a one up it had on the TIE-Defender. 

So, what do you think of giving the tech slot to other factions, also what do you think about E-wings and TIE Defenders getting access to the future goodies for them or game play sake?

Edited by Marinealver
expanded the subject

7 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

I'd like to see the E-Wing and K-Wing get the slot, just like I hope the Republic ARC-170 gets the Sensor slot. 

Ah yes, I forgot about the K-wing, even though it is Legends it is also one of those New Republic Future generation starfighter.

TIE Phantom, I don't know I think the cloak should be enough but now that Separatists will have it maybe.

15 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Defender Elite config trading away the missile and cannon slot for a fourth attack die would be nice.

Or maybe it buffs missiles, gives them an extra charge or two.  

"The fighter was too fast for Y-wing starfighters and armed with six heavy laser cannons[5]and concussion missiles[4]—causing high damage over a moderate area.[3] Some TIE/Ds featured six additional missiles and red markings on their wings,[9] similar to some elite TIE interceptors.[10]

As development of the TIE Defender progressed, a new, faster and stronger variant was produced, which was classified as the TIE Defender Elite, with the prototype being tested by Commander Vult Skerris. The speed and maneuverability of this craft was drastically increased compared to the earlier Defender prototypes, along with stronger shields, better hyperdrive, and the addition of six missiles mounted onto the wings.[9]"

Split the difference:

Elite Configuration:  Gain 1 missile slot, or 2 additional charges on one missile upgrade
Suppression Configuration:  Gain 1 cannon slot, must equip a different canon than what is already equipped

5 minutes ago, outerrimrebel said:

Suppression Configuration:  Gain 1 cannon slot, must equip a different canon than what is already equipped

Can't have more than 1 copy of an upgrade assigned to a ship, so the crossed out part is already covered.

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Can't have more than 1 copy of an upgrade assigned to a ship, so the crossed out part is already covered.

Thanks, I thought I remembered that and was just too lazy to open the rules reference.

In theory, like the Illicit slot, I think it makes sense for the Tech slot to eventually show up in other factions, especially on ships like the TIE Defender or E-Wing. In practice, I don't know if it would actually be balanced, but that wouldn't be my place to decide anyway. 😜

I could see tech getting added to the E-Wing, K-Wing, TIE Defender and MAYBE the Gunboat. Personally, I wouldn't want the tech slot to make its way to too many Civil War or Clone Wars era ships if only to keep the Resistance and First Order ships have some unique toys to make up for their limited variety. 

4 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

I could see tech getting added to the E-Wing, K-Wing, TIE Defender and MAYBE the Gunboat. Personally, I wouldn't want the tech slot to make its way to too many Civil War or Clone Wars era ships if only to keep the Resistance and First Order ships have some unique toys to make up for their limited variety. 

You know what? Normally, I would think it was wankery, giving Gunboats Tech...

But they could SERIOUSLY use Targeting Synchronizer. That could even make Adv. Slam + TS / Barrage Rockets _Viable._ Something else TLs, acts as a TL AWACS, Gunboats fires after an ADV Slam + Focus, boom. Barrage Rockets suddenly extremely viable. But it'd allow other actions too.

Yes, yes- I am in full support of Tech'd Gunboats.

2 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

But they could SERIOUSLY use Targeting Synchronizer. That could even make Adv. Slam + TS / Barrage Rockets _Viable._ Something else TLs, acts as a TL AWACS, Gunboats fires after an ADV Slam + Focus, boom. Barrage Rockets suddenly extremely viable. But it'd allow other actions too.

I'm all for giving the XG-1 Config a boost... either by granting the base Gunboat a cannon slot and reintroducing Linked Battery for it and B-Wings or by giving it the tech slot.

8 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

I'm all for giving the XG-1 Config a boost... either by granting the base Gunboat a cannon slot and reintroducing Linked Battery for it and B-Wings or by giving it the tech slot.

Something, yeah. It has NO teeth at all.

16 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Um... Can't spend the synced lock now, and Barrage Rockets aren't lock dependent, they go off of Focus.

Targeting SynchronizerBarrage Rockets