Sign in to follow this  
peterstepon

How big is the Kronos expanse?

Does any one know how big the Kronos expanse is?  The big map in the Rogue Trader book makes it look like a sector block about the same size as Calixis sector, about 200 X 200 X 200 light years or about 8 million cubic light years given Warhammer 40,000 fluff.  Would it be safe to assume that the Expanse is about the same size or another size?

Thanks

Given that, according to Lure of the Expanse, it can take a couple of months to get from Footfall on one side of the Expanse to the Heathen Stars on the other side, I'd say that it's probably about the same size as Calixis.

My point of reference for size, which may or may not be reliable, is the map of the Imperium in chapter XI. In the offset box, it shows the calixis sector in relation to the Maw and footfall. in that little box, it suggests that calixis is within the bounds of the little wireframe box. Within those bounds it points out port wander. Then, a distance more than twice the length box away, we see footfall. So . . . . my question is on how accurate that little box is for scale. Or, is the box labeled as the calixis sector only a part of the calixis sector. I don't know. However, if that map is accurate, it would suggest that the Koronus Expanse is quite large.

I would, personally, hope that the expanse is larger than the Calixis sector. I prefer the idea of the unexplored space being far greater than the space that has already been brought under Imperium control. It adds to the epic feeling of the game, in my opinion.

Given the occult vagaries of warp travel, the terrifing lack of navigational information on the Expanse, and the sheer unrelenting viciousness of the Koronus Warp, IMO the size and volume of said space is immaterial (no pun intended).  If the only way to travel interstellar distances is by taking a shortcut through Tzeentch's backyard, even a calculated 5 light year jump is fraught with peril.  Always remember the terrible, awful stuff that can happen in the warp.  It does not matter how many light years away something is in the material universe; if you do not have a reliable warp route and an accurate star chart, only the boundless ambition and ego of your Rogue Trader is enough to propel you forward.

Though all of the above are relevant responses, consider that the predominant territories composing the expanse are likely to conform roughly to the size of an Imperial sector of space; a volume generally 200 light years to a side, or 8 million cubic light years.  Of course, that's just a rough definition of boundaries and the like.  The actually scope of the expanse is likely to actually be somewhat larger as borders and boundaries are not often clearly defined in the wild reaches of space.

-=Brother Praetus=-

I was thinking about this too. In a couple of weeks we are finishing exploring the 'windy paths' a group of stars in the Koronus expanse that the Intrepid House of Tenax has been painstakingly exploring one system at a time (lots of rolls on the system generator charts). So far they have found a long lost human warp empire beset by Orks and a xeno race known as the  Red Lacromorphs. After a couple of assassinations, pillaging a ruined hive world, some big negotiation deals  and some very scary warp jumps (some very low rolls on the events of the warp chart, crew morale was VERY low for a while) they now have to return back to the imperium to purchase a lot of kit, rope in a lot of people and pull in quite a few favours so as  to bring the people in the Windy Paths under the benevolent protection of the Emperor's Light and teach the xeno's exactly which species was meant to rule the galaxy. Problem is that we have been keeping an accurate tally of the time we have been way from the Imperium, and though we have been playing harpahazadly for a couple of months the Rogue Trader has been away in story terms  for over a year (1 day in the warp is approx 12 days in real space..) How long would it take for the Tenax dynasty to navigate from somewhere in the middle of the koronus expanse back to Belacane in the Calyxsis sector (it has to be Belacane)

Any Ideas? Because we have just left a delegation with a astropath with the human civilisation and we would prefer to be back before they die of old age.

Thanks

I was thinking about this too. In a couple of weeks we are finishing exploring the 'windy paths' a group of stars in the Koronus expanse that the Intrepid House of Tenax has been painstakingly exploring one system at a time (lots of rolls on the system generator charts). So far they have found a long lost human warp empire beset by Orks and a xeno race known as the  Red Lacromorphs. After a couple of assassinations, pillaging a ruined hive world, some big negotiation deals  and some very scary warp jumps (some very low rolls on the events of the warp chart, crew morale was VERY low for a while) they now have to return back to the imperium to purchase a lot of kit, rope in a lot of people and pull in quite a few favours so as  to bring the people in the Windy Paths under the benevolent protection of the Emperor's Light and teach the xeno's exactly which species was meant to rule the galaxy. Problem is that we have been keeping an accurate tally of the time we have been way from the Imperium, and though we have been playing harpahazadly for a couple of months the Rogue Trader has been away in story terms  for over a year (1 day in the warp is approx 12 days in real space..) How long would it take for the Tenax dynasty to navigate from somewhere in the middle of the koronus expanse back to Belacane in the Calyxsis sector (it has to be Belacane)

Any Ideas? Because we have just left a delegation with a astropath with the human civilisation and we would prefer to be back before they die of old age.

Thanks

Captain Harlock

I would a say a year each way wouldn't be unreasonable. But your explorers know where they are going and they know where they have been. It should be a much quicker trip to pick up an Imperial support/subjugation task force and return to help the new Imperial citizens than exploring and stumbling across the civilization in the first place.

ItsUncertainWho said:

Captain Harlock

I would a say a year each way wouldn't be unreasonable. But your explorers know where they are going and they know where they have been. It should be a much quicker trip to pick up an Imperial support/subjugation task force and return to help the new Imperial citizens than exploring and stumbling across the civilization in the first place.

Thanks. Luckily the way it's turning out there wont be much subjugating as we roll played a lot of diplomacy. Only two individuals stand in the way of the emperors rightful claim, but they will be dealt with efficiently when the time comes. Wow..a year each way...I guess the Dynasty will have to try and make some more thrones on the way back...We might just top by the Svard system for a laugh...