Sign in to follow this  
moonner

double arc targetting one enemy's hull zone

Hello there,

couldnt find it in FAQ so i ask the question like in the topic: when one ship has got double arc on enemie's one hull zone, can he fire two attacks at the same hull zone? And by the way one more question: does MS-1 Ion cannons exhaust reinforced blast doors?

Edited by moonner

19 hours ago, moonner said:

when one ship has got double arc on enemie's one hull zone, can he fire two attacks at the same hull zone?

Yep, you will quickly recognize this to be one of the core skills as you learn the game.  There are even effect interactions that reward you for doing this (Paragon, specifically).  Certain ships also have characteristics that aren't immediately apparent related to this.  For example, it is really easy to line up a double-arc with a CR90's front and side arcs, because the arc line is at approximately 45 degrees; on the other hand, an MC80 Home One type is particularly susceptible to being double-arced into the side arc thanks to its huge arc.

19 hours ago, moonner said:

does MS-1 Ion cannons exhaust reinforced blast doors?

Yes, but as @R4Pi3R pointed out, exhausting doesn't have any inherent effect--it is, essentially, only a once-per-round throttle.  The relevance of MS-1 hinges on a moderately sophisticated reading of the rules around exhaustion.

RRG pg 6 EXHAUSTED: "... Exhausted cards and defense tokens cannot be exhausted again."

RRG pg 12 STATUS PHASE: "During this phase, the players... ready all of their exhausted upgrade cards."

Exhaustion as a mechanism on "exhaust" cards (Engine Techs is a typical example):

latest?cb=20150117182001

So, to make the logic explicit: 1) an exhausted card can't be exhausted again, 2) exhausted cards are readied at the end of the round, and 3) an "exhaust" card must be able to exhaust in order to have its effect.  

This means that MS-1's effect is to effectively lock out any card with an "exhaust" effect until the end of the round.  If a card doesn't have an "exhaust" effect, it's generally not susceptible to MS-1.

i understand  the mechanics that you can shoot twice from two different arcs so one enemy hull zone can take both attacks (from different arcs) in one round. and MS-1 also is clear to me now. But i've got one more question about squadrons now: specifically about Norra Wexley mechanics - she gives every bomber to make defending hull zone lose one shield on critical hit what equals with 2 hits on shields, but what about hitting target that does not have shields anymore? Should he take 2 damage cards, like landing on the scraps (when the ship has no shields takes 2 damage instead of loosing 2 shields) or the bonus isn't working anymore?

8 minutes ago, moonner said:

i understand  the mechanics that you can shoot twice from two different arcs so one enemy hull zone can take both attacks (from different arcs) in one round. and MS-1 also is clear to me now. But i've got one more question about squadrons now: specifically about Norra Wexley mechanics - she gives every bomber to make defending hull zone lose one shield on critical hit what equals with 2 hits on shields, but what about hitting target that does not have shields anymore? Should he take 2 damage cards, like landing on the scraps (when the ship has no shields takes 2 damage instead of loosing 2 shields) or the bonus isn't working anymore?

Norra Wexley's critical effect does not affect an attack on an unshielded hull zone, as there are no shields to deplete.  Whether or not your opponent takes hull damage depends on how they spend their defense tokens, as usual, but no extra damage is dealt.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

a new question popped out - about aiming - i attached a photo, sorry for the quality wanted to make sure i can put it in here - the question is can i shoot from the MK2 left hull at the Liberty's left hull?  I watched some videos at youtube where guys explained aiming - first check range then check arc to catch a piece of enemy hull, then check line of sight and shoot. What i wanna know is whether my attack from left hull can cross the hull lines of my ship (just not cross the enemy's hull lines). Or the hull lines of my ship must have enemy's yellow dot within to be able to shoot?

51202995_383077338906691_5201432238448705536_n.jpg

My brain just hat a freeze trying to see it xD It was like looking at a Moebius loop...

YES! You can take the shot. Your sidearc covers a part of the Liberty's sidearc. Line of sight ignores the lines on YOUR cardboard, but may not cross the dividing line between hullzones on the defender.
An Example in this image for clarification: The Liberty's front-hullzone is inside your left firing-arc. BUT tracing line of sight from your side to the Liberty's front would cross the dividing line between left and front on the Liberty's cardboard. That means you cannot shoot the front, although it is inside your arc.

After actually reading your post and not just skimming it as i did before I answered, I suppose a simple yes would have sufficed.... sorry ._.

Edited by R4Pi3R