Sign in to follow this  
Cavgunner

Hasn't the info drought gone on long enough, FFG?

Its been so friggin long that FFG has seemed to drive me back to 40k.  2 factions in Legion is boring me and Armada being my primary game anyway has left my hobby bored, uneventful, and tournament-less.  (tournament play is my favorite thing about minis gaming)

During this heinous drought Ive actually amassed an almost complete Drukari (Dark Eldar) army and a bunch of books to jump back into the game after a 2 edition hiatus that started with X-Wing.

Thats around $700-800 bucks FFG has missed out on. 

I know its a drop in the bucket and Im only 1 person...but Im sure Im not the first to give my entertainment bucks to someone else due to boredom.

Armada has been my jam since release and I love the game intensely.  Ill watch for news but like Green Knight and unkown others....my patience is at an end.

8th edition 40k on the other hand....mad release schedule and evidently the rules are in a good place right now.

I used to hail FFG as the AMERICAN GW without crappy pricing and actual playtested rules.  I was concerned when Asmodai bought them out.  Right now it seems that concern was prudent.

Shame.  It was a good run and FFG has gotten my GW hobby money for several years.  Like a recovering alchoholic though....Im back off the wagon.

EDIT:

This post is without ******* or salt.  Im just bored and going back to a company with a fantastic IP AND a rapid release schedule and regular news.

No salt needed....my entertainment dollar is just keeping my mini gaming hobby fresh and fun....as it should be.

Edited by Deadshane

2 hours ago, Deadshane said:

I know its a drop in the bucket and Im only 1 person...but Im sure Im not the first to give my entertainment bucks to someone else due to boredom.

You are not alone, I'd really like to add some more wave I fighters and some R&V. Not going to happen at this time though with everyone out. Looking at the Armada pages at Miniature Market and Cool Stuff Inc., makes me super sad. I think The War Store had an ok stock but...no fighter pack I.

3 minutes ago, Nomemories said:

If there isn't any news then there isn't any news. Do you just want them to manufacture news?

No, I want there to BE news.  Maybe they could make some kind of effort to develop product.  Or, barring that, provide any sort of content at all - like a Scenario pack.

4 minutes ago, Nomemories said:

If there isn't any news then there isn't any news. Do you just want them to manufacture news?

But, there is news to be had. 

"Fighter pack I will ship X date."

"We have more/no more waves planned after the SSD is released"

"We have seen that stock is low, here is our plan to fix/ignore that."

6 hours ago, Ling27 said:

"Do not, my friends, become addicted to [articles], or it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence!"

- Ling, paraphrasing Immorton Joe.

Immortan Joe riding around, leaning out his chromed window, and shouting "MEDIOCRE!" at everything FFG has done since the AsmodeeNA Merger sure is a satisfying mental image.

11 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Immortan Joe riding around, leaning out his chromed window, and shouting "MEDIOCRE!" at everything FFG has done since the AsmodeeNA Merger sure is a satisfying mental image.

I'm resisting the urge to make this into a real gif.... I have too much work to do lol

Edited by Darth Sanguis

4 hours ago, Deadshane said:

Its been so friggin long that FFG has seemed to drive me back to 40k.  2 factions in Legion is boring me and Armada being my primary game anyway has left my hobby bored, uneventful, and tournament-less.  (tournament play is my favorite thing about minis gaming)

During this heinous drought Ive actually amassed an almost complete Drukari (Dark Eldar) army and a bunch of books to jump back into the game after a 2 edition hiatus that started with X-Wing.

Armada has been my jam since release and I love the game intensely.  Ill watch for news but like Green Knight and unkown others....my patience is at an end.

8th edition 40k on the other hand....mad release schedule and evidently the rules are in a good place right now.

I used to hail FFG as the AMERICAN GW without crappy pricing and actual playtested rules.  I was concerned when Asmodai bought them out.  Right now it seems that concern was prudent.

Shame.  It was a good run and FFG has gotten my GW hobby money for several years.  Like a recovering alchoholic though....Im back off the wagon.

EDIT:

This post is without ******* or salt.  Im just bored and going back to a company with a fantastic IP AND a rapid release schedule and regular news.

No salt needed....my entertainment dollar is just keeping my mini gaming hobby fresh and fun....as it should be.

The lack of releases has worked out for me this way as well. Middle Earth SBG re-released last August, and I've enjoying only having one line of minis to worry about collecting. 

I played Dark Eldar back in 5th and (early)6th edition. 40k has never been good for it's rules, but 8th edition has seriously turned me off of the game.

4 hours ago, Deadshane said:

EDIT:

Yerp, similar. I've bought into 40k Killteam big time, and with the new arena expansion I'll look at tournaments as well. My intent when I got into Armada was to play it and it alone, but the lack of releases and comms is demoralising 

5 hours ago, RedPriest said:

Honestly, the drought of online retailer stock and the fighter expansions "awaiting reprint" for almost a year is more troubling.

"Hey! You should get into Armada! Go to ebay to purchase a fleet.What? No, it's still in print."

Well, if the Spain site is to be believed, they HAVE squad one packs in stock for at least a week. But still listed as "waiting reprint" in the states of course. Kind of has me wondering what the shipping is from Spain on a case.

4 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

If I'm reading this tweet correctly we won't be getting Armada articles until next week at the earliest.

From today there's this non-specific tweet simply saying that they're still working on Armada.

I feel like the tweets really only make matters worse because they don't actually say anything. It worries me when people are interested in the game but can't get releases that most people consider essential. Or when they see FFG trying to dodge answering the players questions on social media and the forums turning into trench warfare as people chew over the same topics. At least when it was color teams for how a card works it showed the game was alive and people felt passionately about its future.

6 hours ago, Tayloraj100 said:

I thought we were done bemoaning this and had gone on to arguing over Armada 2.0. Does someone need to come up with a new polarizing topic?

7 hours ago, ThatRobHuman said:

[snip] the intended constructive-criticism of this idea tends to get mired in the slog of "armada is dead"-toned messages [/snip]

10 hours ago, Church14 said:

SpaceX blew up a rocket and essentially responded with a video of the explosion and a twitter message saying “when the next one explodes it won’t be for the same reason.” Humor, transparency, and humility goes a long way

I don't even care that Musk is clearly going to be a super villain in 3 to 5 years, he's still my hero (labor issues aside). 

9 hours ago, Fuzzywookie said:

Maybe FFG is waiting, testing a new faction the will come in like a ton of bricks. The Yuuzhan Vong. 

Or maybe it's an entire faction of space dogs made from tuna fish and hope so they mix the best of the rebellion(fish people and hope), Imperial(direct approaches like dogs), and SPACE!. 

Citation needed for your evidence that they're adding Yuuzhan Vong. I'd fu*king love that article. 

8 hours ago, Tayloraj100 said:

I thought we were done bemoaning this and had gone on to arguing over Armada 2.0. Does someone need to come up with a new polarizing topic?

Armada is being replaced with a Fast and The Furious style game where people "jack" tanks with sports cars, then race those tanks on highways at high speeds and shoot at submarines. discuss.  

8 hours ago, RedPriest said:

Honestly, the drought of online retailer stock and the fighter expansions "awaiting reprint" for almost a year is more troubling.

"Hey! You should get into Armada! Go to ebay to purchase a fleet.What? No, it's still in print."

FFG has ALWAYS had production issues so, while I agree it's a problem, I wouldn't stressout too much about their inability to maintain stock. From what I've seen, in my 4 years actively playing their games between x-wing and armada, I've noticed they do yearly cycles for re-releases. Problems pop up when their items are more popular than expected I.E. Hammerheads, Arc's, fighter packs (lol that they're surprised these sell out boggles my mind)

7 hours ago, Deadshane said:

EDIT:

I mean, this is pretty much me, only instead of going full bore back into 40k I just went into kill team and got bored with it pretty quick. Love 40k's IP, rules are still a bit iffy(re-rollable 1's kill me on the inside)

Now i really just don't have any tabletops that I'm that interested in which is disappointing but ultimately I'm just going to remain indifferent. I don't think armada is dead, but I am absolutely concerned it's on life support

7 hours ago, JauntyChapeau said:

That was six months ago.  The incompetence is staggering.

That level of customer service has, effectively, been the standard for FFG as long as I've known the company. Not defending them, they're just consistently ******

3 hours ago, Quadro28 said:

40k has never been good for it's rules

Eh, every edition has had issues but I think 4th and 6th were decent. I played necrons though so 5th pretty much kneecapped me so that's why i don't love everyones favorite (5th)

1 hour ago, eliteone said:

Revan is totally a woman. 

I don't care what Revan's gender was but I've argued forever that instead of star killer base it should have been a star forge that was in force awakens (and they SHOULD NOT have killed it, but disabling it would have been fine, at least long enough to require repairs and slow production). It would have been PERFECT as the capital ship in TLJ instead of their weird flying space wing. 

Clearly the community wants more commitment from FFG than they are willing to give.

Armada is their product, not ours. They determine which direction they want to go with it, what they feel will add value to it, when changes are needed for it, and when it is appropriate to inform the customers (that is, you and I) about topics they choose.  If you enjoy it and support it then great! They have done their jobs well. It is what it is.

I hope I don't get dumped on for this post 😁😁

Edited by axe238

1 hour ago, dominosfleet said:

Eh, every edition has had issues but I think 4th and 6th were decent. I played necrons though so 5th pretty much kneecapped me so that's why i don't love everyones favorite (5th) 

5th was definitely my favorite edition. It had the tightest ruleset(thank you, Alessio Cavatore), and I played it WAY more than any other edition. Plus my beloved Dark Eldar received, what I still think, is the most gorgeous mini line they've ever produced.

4th was pretty good. But toward the end of 5th the style of the game started changing from battles with armies of troops, some tanks, and some elite stuff, to giant mechs/monster/demigods with mandatory troops thrown in, sometimes, to hopefully hold an objective for a turn before they die.

11 hours ago, Quadro28 said:

5th was definitely my favorite edition. It had the tightest ruleset(thank you, Alessio Cavatore), and I played it WAY more than any other edition. Plus my beloved Dark Eldar received, what I still think, is the most gorgeous mini line they've ever produced.

5th edition before they started messing around with Flyers, that's when 40k was at its best. I, like several others, started to pick back up 40k and KillTeam due to FFG's poor handling of Armada. Problem is, GW is still writing the rules... FFG makes great games but can't or won't support them, GW makes crap games but is GREAT at keeping them moving.

I am just glad Middle Earth is getting some love. I love that game system, and its very under appreciated and argueably one of GWs best. The new box, "Battle for Palenor Fields" is nice, and comed with cool new Theodin and Witch King models.

A friend of mine saw a husband and wife playing at our LGS, and he wants to do Battle Companies, which is cool because the guy who has every army, and enough for every army to play a massive WotR game is huge into battle companies, so like, 7 people suddenly want to do a battle companies campaign.

As for Armada, I am sure there is reasons. As I tell my soldiers and NCOs, "The world works at the speed of the World... things will come in due time." But it likely helps I am not huge into the SSD for my own reasons.