Sign in to follow this  
TCArknight

Psionics as Magic

You might need to take a second look at page 2. It looks like part of the second column of text got moved into a third column and is running off of the page.

Very odd. :(

it seems to depend on the browser and what using to look at it. If I look at it with safari on my iPad, the first page is that way. If I look at it in chrome, the 2nd seems broken as you mention. 

I had a few minutes to try to straighten it out. Please let me know if it's working for you...

Edited by TCArknight

Looks ok in chrome. Think its the use of  "<div class="wide">" it can sometimes break things in GM binder. Sometimes it help just to make some space in the editor before the next markup

Looks good. It appears to just be a straight forward substitution which I appreciate. Good formatting. You covered all the bases I think.

I'm not a huge fan of magic/psychic powers in my sci fi, but if the players insist on having them I'll probably use this.

Very cool. I've been wanting to introduce psionics to my setting so I might steal  borrow some ideas from this.

Question: would you handle strain in a similar way to the Genesys Core Book? Specifically, taking two strain each time you cast a spell/use a psionic power? 

Also interested to hear how you might reflavor magical implements such as wands, crystal balls, etc.

The link above is updated. I've added some new Talents, and reformatted a bit. I've very anxious to hear everyone's take on the Talents. I'm also open to suggestions for new ones. :)

On 1/30/2019 at 4:39 PM, _PNW_ said:

Very cool. I've been wanting to introduce psionics to my setting so I might steal  borrow some ideas from this.

Question: would you handle strain in a similar way to the Genesys Core Book? Specifically, taking two strain each time you cast a spell/use a psionic power? 

Also interested to hear how you might reflavor magical implements such as wands, crystal balls, etc.

Yes, I was considering it identical. :) 2 strain for each casting/use of a Psychic Magic Action. I also thought about it causing 2 wounds as well, but I decided to roll that into the Body Fuel/Body Fuel (Improved) Talents to allow for lower difficulties at the expense of taking wounds.

Do you have any suggestions for the implements? I definitely want to include them, but I haven't gotten that far yet. 

Looks cool for a world with psionic. The talent that gives kinetic skill is listed as Ranked and with Activation prob a copy paste error. 

The body fuel mechanic seems very powerful i would be carefull with anything that lowers the difficulty overall unless its very restricted or specific like flames of kellos talent from ROT. 

For implement it would depend alot on the setting could be anything from substance to technology. If i should make a generic suggestions would be crystals of some sorts. 

Noticed that Tier II Signature Powers refers to "casting a spell". I'm sure this is just a copy/paste situation. but probably a good idea to be consistent in distinctions between "spells" and "powers"

And I would agree that psychic implements are going to be pretty setting specific.

My own setting uses a kind of metal (called psionium because I'm a hack and a fraud) that acts as a kind of conductor for psy energy, and psions use what are basically wands (that look like weird little tuning forks) to channel their powers. I've also been playing around with implements that can be ingested; basically a potion or serum that would, for example, reduce the difficulty needed to add the Burn quality to an attack (perhaps with a side-effect of some kind)

There are fewer examples to draw from in fiction than straight-up magic but "real" psychics often claim that such-and-such an item can help focus their abilities. Crystals, gemstones, mirrors, musical chimes, divination cards etc.