matt.sucharski

Illegal Squad at Phoenix / Trip Upsilon (no relation)

6 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

🤔

...fair enough.  Let's face it, 2 out of 8 lists being identical isn't too bad.  Certainly better than the variety we saw in first edition at times.

...and I'd imagine it's much more varied than Hyperspace cuts are likely to be at the moment.  😂

You didn't like the Jumpmaster world championships when the only question is who can fly this obscure toilet seat better!

6 minutes ago, GILLIES291 said:

(...) only question is who can fly this (....) better!

Isn't the only question we should ask whatever meta is and whatever crappy stuff ppl are playing the most?  ;)

Edited by Oldpara

2 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

How is it obscure?!  It's flown by the coolest bounty hunter in the galaxy!

To many obscure means not from the movies and most who hold that don't realize that the Punishing One's pilot was at the meeting with Vader on the Executor in the Empire Strikes Back.

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

How is it obscure?!  It's flown by the coolest bounty hunter in the galaxy!

If it's not recognizable by the vast majority of Star Wars fans there is a good chance it's obscure. And difference of opinion of coolest bounty hunter aside, gameplay-wise it was the definition of truly brokenly overpowered that required multiple erratas to even bring it to just normal overpowered range. We do not have the same problem here.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

To many obscure means not from the movies and most who hold that don't realize that the Punishing One's pilot was at the meeting with Vader on the Executor in the Empire Strikes Back.

you can see on Tatooine too, in Episode IV, at Mos Eisley.

5 hours ago, Sergovan said:

Was in a small league tournament yesterday. I forgot my printed list on my kitchen table so I couldn't generate my list at the tourney for the following reasons:

1) App does not have offline support.

2) I don't have data on my phone. I only use it for text and talk with my wife and friends.

3) The store did not have wifi so I couldn't log in.

Organizer had to generate my list on his phone to calculate my points

I don't think you can even write in your list anymore as the points aren't anywhere but online. Seeing a person with a list with too many points in a tourney is not surprising considering we no longer can check it at the table on round one anymore.

That was my first question when the app was announced, "How do we know if our opponent's list is legal." You can't tell from the cards on the table.

That the app doesn't have some sort of tourney support was pretty shocking. If one of the points of the app is to be able to change points I'd have thought they'd make an effort to use the app to get good information on what is being played and what it is doing in tournaments. The app having add some means of running tourneys and for players to submit their lists for tourneys seems a major shortcoming of the thing. 

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

That the app doesn't have some sort of tourney support was pretty shocking.

Yup.  I mean, I'm didn't have enough faith in the app project to expect tourney support right away, but given the state of launch is be surprised if we ever get first party tourney support through an app.

2 hours ago, Frimmel said:

That the app doesn't have some sort of tourney support was pretty shocking. 

That the app exists and hardly anyone chooses to use it is plenty telling. At this point, I’m convinced FFG would have been better off with just a PDF of changes and allowing community builders to do the job better.

7 hours ago, Oldpara said:

Man, you should print your list. Problem solved. Or just write it down. 

You know, there was time before the Internet everyone had to have list printed. 

please read before you type.  player said specifically that they forgot their printed list. chill

There are PDF point lists on the website, which can be saved to a device or printed out.

Granted, this does run the risk that a points update will be published that someone wasn't aware of and that someone will be trying to use old points, but still, as a backup-of-last-resort, it's probably something that TOs ought to be doing.

2 hours ago, Kdubb said:

That the app exists and hardly anyone chooses to use it is plenty telling. At this point, I’m convinced FFG would have been better off with just a PDF of changes and allowing community builders to do the job better.

This... happened, though?

The official app makes sure we're not left to pen and paper in some cataclysm where YASB, LBN, etc are wiped from the earth

15 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Wait, what?

That sounds like your upsilons didn't set up as they should, and didn't have reinforce + 3 green tokens and didn't remove a ship of yours on turn 1.

I did x3 SKBs + Enhanced Optics and Perceptive copilot on 2/3.

Two Upsilons may be scarier. But that's even easier to maneuver around, and definitely necessitates HLC for a range 3 4 dice attack.

13 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

The bonkers lists I’ve seen after yesterday were all 4-ship, some combination of t70 and awing. Lulo, Tali, Poe, and really I think Snap are very solid. Played against Ello and Nien and they were OK, more for the pilot initiative. 

I saw that list yesterday, and was thankful I didn’t come across it. My FO list would have been hosed.

The key to Ups is to survive the alpha, which means seeing its coming and then not being in range of all of them. It’ll be hard, especially against a good player, but I’d start with trying to pack the rocks as tight as possible and force them to burn collision detectors, if any, on the start. Then outmaneuver and get behind.

IF you can get behind, it’s all over for them. Just that first, deadly pass.

1: Sounds right, Resistance pilots are really good paired up in non uniform squadrons. Ello and Nien are 100% initiative monsters, and Ello IMO is strictly better for his effortless repositioning. Nien has yet to amaze me.

2: Bingo. Close those S-Foils. Barrel roll out of arc if possible and into a Focus- and if you're Poe, you could even boost into a focus. Or SLAM behind them. You only need to get behind these things, their alpha will NEVER converge that well twice. If it does, you're playing god.

12 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Snorlax used Rest

Snorlax used Sleep Talk

Snarlax used Giga Impact

Your comparison doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they're easy to beat.

...unless you just add some powerful fighting type moves to your list.  Quick!  Wedge, use Low Kick!

I mean Solar Beam / HLC worked just fine.

4 hours ago, svelok said:

This... happened, though?

The official app makes sure we're not left to pen and paper in some cataclysm where YASB, LBN, etc are wiped from the earth

Bingo.

I was at the event and fellow that this happened to is a good friend of mine.  The illicit list was due to a bug in YASB 2.0  I'm not 100% on the details of the bug, but the judges were able to replicate the bug.  There was no Ill intent. The computer did the math on serissu incorrectly and as a result his list was showing at 199 pts in the Yasb, but was really 201 pts.

This is part of the reason I keep using FFG'S app despite it having bugs (like periodically eating my lists)

2 minutes ago, Crimsonwarlock said:

I was at the event and fellow that this happened to is a good friend of mine.  The illicit list was due to a bug in YASB 2.0  I'm not 100% on the details of the bug, but the judges were able to replicate the bug.  There was no Ill intent. The computer did the math on serissu incorrectly and as a result his list was showing at 199 pts in the Yasb, but was really 201 pts.

This is part of the reason I keep using FFG'S app despite it having bugs (like periodically eating my lists)

If it is the bug I think it is, keep an eye on the Hardpoint when cloning ship builds to make sure it has what was intended when you're building. If cloning ships and it swaps from a limited pilot down to the Spacer (Scyk) or Blue Rookie (T-70) it will drop the upgrade out of the Hardpoint on the clone. Annoying as heck but still more convenient than the official app.

13 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Annoying as heck but still more convenient than the official app.

Unless, of course, you drive all the way to an official event only to be thrown out on your ***.

I suspect this is going to be an ongoing intermittent problem with variable points.

Edited by Darth Meanie

3 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I did x3 SKBs + Enhanced Optics and Perceptive copilot on 2/3.

Two Upsilons may be scarier. But that's even easier to maneuver around, and definitely necessitates HLC for a range 3 4 dice attack.

1: Sounds right, Resistance pilots are really good paired up in non uniform squadrons. Ello and Nien are 100% initiative monsters, and Ello IMO is strictly better for his effortless repositioning. Nien has yet to amaze me.

2: Bingo. Close those S-Foils. Barrel roll out of arc if possible and into a Focus- and if you're Poe, you could even boost into a focus. Or SLAM behind them. You only need to get behind these things, their alpha will NEVER converge that well twice. If it does, you're playing god.

I mean Solar Beam / HLC worked just fine.

Bingo.

The list everyone is talking about is Dormitz, Tavson and a SKB. All with Collision Detector and Hyperspace Tracking Data. It allows you to set up all three at Init 6 and have SKB and Tavson starting 1/2 way across the board and having fully modified shots on the first round.

The list you versed (played by AI none the less!) is in no way close to that oppressive NPE.

5 minutes ago, Deffly said:

The list everyone is talking about is Dormitz, Tavson and a SKB. All with Collision Detector and Hyperspace Tracking Data. It allows you to set up all three at Init 6 and have SKB and Tavson starting 1/2 way across the board and having fully modified shots on the first round.

The list you versed (played by AI none the less!) is in no way close to that oppressive NPE.

Ah, okay. I've only got what Fly Casual Sim gives me..!

Edited by Captain Lackwit

12 hours ago, Frimmel said:

That was my first question when the app was announced, "How do we know if our opponent's list is legal." You can't tell from the cards on the table...

...well personally speaking, I'd still expect to have a squad sheet handy.

58 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Ah, okay. I've only got what Fly Casual Sim gives me..!

First round is Tavson and SKB both with two evades and a focus, and dormitz coordinates a reinforce to SKB, and Tavson and SKB move and lock and fire two 4 dice full modded shots and there aint **** you can do about, and fighting back you may do like two damage to SKB that round. After that, Dormtiz is covering the rear, if you can get over the two front Ups, otherwise, you are taking another two 4 dice shots while one coordinates mods to another, or else jams your ship gonna get shot.

THe one I have faced had adv sensors on SKB and Dormitz, making blocking them impossible, and opening up self bumps on them controlling their speed and turning over debris/asteroids

4 hours ago, wurms said:

First round is Tavson and SKB both with two evades and a focus, and dormitz coordinates a reinforce to SKB, and Tavson and SKB move and lock and fire two 4 dice full modded shots and there aint **** you can do about, and fighting back you may do like two damage to SKB that round. After that, Dormtiz is covering the rear, if you can get over the two front Ups, otherwise, you are taking another two 4 dice shots while one coordinates mods to another, or else jams your ship gonna get shot.

THe one I have faced had adv sensors on SKB and Dormitz, making blocking them impossible, and opening up self bumps on them controlling their speed and turning over debris/asteroids

Maybe I'm missing something here....but how exactly are the two lead Upsilons both getting guaranteed shots on that first round? Yes, they deploy at IN6, but unless you deploy all of your ships in one place they can't possibly cover all of them, and surely if you don't fly towards them you can escape and move around them? They'll be telegraphing their target by locking at their actual Initiative, so anything decently fast and/or agile would surely be able to get away (out of range/arc entirely of at least one of them), and then the onus is on a trio of lumbering shuttles to chase them, each only able to ignore obstacles twice and with no capacity to turn directly around?
Seems to me that the only way the list works is if you joust it. But I havn't played against the 'Dorm Storm' since 1st ed so perhaps things are different now.