matt.sucharski

Illegal Squad at Phoenix / Trip Upsilon (no relation)

It seems someone was disqualified for having a squad with too many points in round 6. Does anyone have first hand information? What was the mistake? What squad builder was used? I am curious and would like real facts before mass hysteria and wild speculation causes me to pull my hair and gnash my teeth. 

Edited by matt.sucharski

12 minutes ago, matt.sucharski said:

I am curious and would like real facts before m*** hysteria and wild speculation causes me to pull my hair and gnash my teeth.

And now that it’s on the forum, it’ll be mass hysteria and wild speculation. Real facts don’t matter.

I'm massively curious, but not going to venture a guess as to what happened.

Edited by LagJanson

1 hour ago, Dengar5 said:

The bigger issue was 2 of the top8 squads going into round 6 being double tap Dash Rendar. *sad times*

From what I’ve seen though, the squads making the cut were widely varied. A good sign that the game is a lot healthier pre-cost change than what many would lead you to believe. Sure, some pilots and upgrades over represented, so a point adjustment will be welcome, but I was pleased with the variety regardless.

Edited by Kdubb

11 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

Where are you all seeing the lists that made the cut/ top 8?

If you have the Best Coast Pairings app on your phone/tablet, you can see all of the lists being used at Phoenix.

3 hours ago, Dengar5 said:

The bigger issue was 2 of the top8 squads going into round 6 being double tap Dash Rendar. *sad times*

Is it just top 8 for the cut? Reason I'm asking is 24 people went 5-1 or 6-0 which should get them to the final round on Sunday.

Edited by T70 Driver

3 hours ago, Dengar5 said:

NZ Nationals was just won by a Dash/Roark build. Great player, but that list....

6 hours ago, Dengar5 said:

The bigger issue was 2 of the top8 squads going into round 6 being double tap Dash Rendar...

🤔

4 hours ago, Kdubb said:

From what I’ve seen though, the squads making the cut were widely varied...

...fair enough.  Let's face it, 2 out of 8 lists being identical isn't too bad.  Certainly better than the variety we saw in first edition at times.

...and I'd imagine it's much more varied than Hyperspace cuts are likely to be at the moment.  😂

Tried triple upsilons. Yeah, I see why it's scary. Like, I super get it.

Tried X-Wings and A-Wings to combat it too, Resistance ones- the good ones. And you know what? It works. A-Wings fly circles, X-Wings kill fast.

They are a hard fight and the AI was NOT using Focus properly, but even if they did, most current lists can beat them. They can't dodge for crap and if you have 3 dice attacks with mods (If you aren't taking Enhanced Scopes what is wrong with you??? It's like the best tech period!) then you _seriously_ should not have any trouble.

Do not rely on munitions to kill them. A-Wings will struggle without Prockets, but it's only five damage max. Yes, that's half of one's health, almost... But so what? You're only gonna' pack four well equipped A-Wings that allow room for error with prockets anyway. You shouldn't counter-build so hard either. So Procket RZ-2s is not your best option.

I found more comfort with HLC X-Wings, but I know there are better combos.

I will not tell you that Trupsilons are not a threat.

But they are not the boogeyman.

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Tried X-Wings and A-Wings to combat it too, Resistance ones- the good ones. And you know what? It works. A-Wings fly circles, X-Wings kill fast.

They are a hard fight and the AI was NOT using Focus properly, but even if they did, most current lists can beat them

Wait, what?

That sounds like your upsilons didn't set up as they should, and didn't have reinforce + 3 green tokens and didn't remove a ship of yours on turn 1.

9 hours ago, matt.sucharski said:

It seems someone was disqualified for having a squad with too many points in round 6. Does anyone have first hand information? What was the mistake? What squad builder was used? I am curious and would like real facts before mass hysteria and wild speculation causes me to pull my hair and gnash my teeth. 

Was in a small league tournament yesterday. I forgot my printed list on my kitchen table so I couldn't generate my list at the tourney for the following reasons:

1) App does not have offline support.

2) I don't have data on my phone. I only use it for text and talk with my wife and friends.

3) The store did not have wifi so I couldn't log in.

Organizer had to generate my list on his phone to calculate my points

I don't think you can even write in your list anymore as the points aren't anywhere but online. Seeing a person with a list with too many points in a tourney is not surprising considering we no longer can check it at the table on round one anymore.

4 minutes ago, Sergovan said:

Was in a small league tournament yesterday. I forgot my printed list on my kitchen table so I couldn't generate my list at the tourney for the following reasons:

1) App does not have offline support.

2) I don't have data on my phone. I only use it for text and talk with my wife and friends.

3) The store did not have wifi so I couldn't log in.

Organizer had to generate my list on his phone to calculate my points

I don't think you can even write in your list anymore as the points aren't anywhere but online. Seeing a person with a list with too many points in a tourney is not surprising considering we no longer can check it at the table on round one anymore.

Man, you should print your list. Problem solved. Or just write it down. 

You know, there was time before the Internet everyone had to have list printed. 

17 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Like for real is it actually that hard to get around the arc of an upsilon? Come on, it's like fighting a frakking snorlax.

Snorlax used Rest

Snorlax used Sleep Talk

Snarlax used Giga Impact

Your comparison doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they're easy to beat.

...unless you just add some powerful fighting type moves to your list.  Quick!  Wedge, use Low Kick!

Edited by JJ48

11 hours ago, matt.sucharski said:

I don’t think your question was answered. 

What was the list?