dj9091

Questons about Enemy Abilities and New Test Rules

Greetings Everyone,

I'm looking for some assistance on understanding a couple of things:

1.  With the new cards that say "Test SPEC" and don't have a specific number to roll, in the rules it says "You want to get as many "*" results as possible."  If I have S and C this should mean I only get 2 rolls, not three (as in a fight where you take the first roll before using the SPECIAL options), correct?  Also, would I take the count from the final roll (which could max my "*" count at 6) or would I add up all "*"s on the S roll and then all the "*" on the C roll (which could add up to a max of 12 in this case if I were lucky enough to roll 6 "*"s each time)?

2.  The Mirelurk Queen enemy is a level three with a shield.  The impact points are head and legs.  Since there is no die face with both a head and legs at the same time, the most damage I can inflict without any special effects is 3.  Is this an error, or is it expected that the only way to defat this enemy with a gained effect (weapon, companion, etc)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

DJ

DJ, I also had the question about the Mirelurk Queen.  From the responses I was given, the best way you can defeat it is ranged attacks (which gives you a free hit), using drugs (like buffout, mentats, day tripper and calmex), fragmentation grenades, having certain companions, laying traps or using perks (like ricochet and nerd rage) which give you extra hits or instantly kill enemies. Even some weapons allow you to give an extra hit or lower the enemy's level.

For the first question, you take the total number of pips after the rerolls (if any) just like regular tests where you have a number of pips to get to pass.

I hope this helps you out with the questions you have.

Edited by CyberAdam64
Needed more information to help answer the question fully.

Also keep in mind that you always roll 3 dice, the S and C in your example are only how many re-rolls you get. So if you need 5 *'s and you have one with 2 and 0 on the other two dice, you can re-roll the other 2 dice to see if you can get the other 3 *'s needed, and re-roll a 2nd time if you still didn't.

Greetings Cyberadams 64, thanks for the info.  I assumed we'd need to use other effects to kill the Mirelurk Queen but I wanted to see if that was the intention of the "level 3 plus shield" as I encountered it twice with no assist and basically just rolled for my own damage (not cool).

Greetings Husker949...thanks for your info as well.  I was actually checking on the new test feature where they don't provide a number to shoot for (e.g., some cards reads as "Test SC 4", but in my example, it reads "Test SC") and if the total "*"s are counted and added from all rerolls, or just what is showing on the last reroll.  In the instructions, it kind of made it seem like, for these new tests without numbers, you add up all "*"s from every roll, meaning you could go way beyond a count of 6.  It seems like the rules would have stated "You want to get as many "*" results as possible [displayed on the last roll opportunity]."  As such, some of us are interpreting that it means add them all of from each roll.  In the card we were using, if was for caps, and I pointed out that with interpreting the rule that way, if the test was for SPECIAL, and you held those letters, you'd be able to bring in 49 (+1) caps.

Unfortunately when we agreed to use the standard rule of "add the "*"s showing on the last roll only", one of us picked the "gold mine card" (pay 1,000 caps for the gold mine), and a heated argument broke out that the intention was to be able to get as many caps as possible with the new rules so we should have been adding all the "*"s from every roll, cumulative.  Keeping in mind that  little to no intelligence was being applied to the fact that there aren't even 1,000 caps pieces in the game, and that the point of the card was a joke as the card becomes the gold mine and probably can't be used for anything (I say probably as I'm not sure if there is another card that may have an option to be played only if you have the gold mine).

Gotta love game night...

Yes DJ, The rules do state to get as may pips as possible. However, the rules reference book gives the rules on all tests. First you roll the dice, then do the re-rolls and then resolve the results. You don't add the rolls together.  So when doing tests with no success condition (like Test P C I L), you count the last roll and follow the card to see what happens.  The maximum number of pips you can roll is 6.

As to the Gold Mine, it is possible (however unlikely) to have 1000 caps. The rules reference says there are no limits to how many caps a survivor can have and in another place it says you can use a viable substitute if there are no remaining tokens. I also went through the card library and saw there were no other references to the gold mine.

See Caps, Component Limitations and Tests in the Rules Reference for verification if you like.

Thanks!  I was pretty sure that since the new rules didn't state an exception that the old rules for tests applied.  Thanks for confirming!

DJ