Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sindriss

The Deep Gate literally unreadable!

Recommended Posts

There's quite a few instances referring to Silas'"eyes", even though the book really belabours the point that he only has one eye. 

I thought the story was OK in a pulpy sort of way, though very rushed, but really needed better editing and proofreading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 12:16 AM, SGPrometheus said:

So by literally, you mean figuratively.

I can't wait until we get past this stupid thing with using 'literally' for everything, especially since people generally mean the opposite (figuratively).  Someday it will hopefully be something we laugh at, like when "bad" meant "good" back in the 80s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

I can't wait until we get past this stupid thing with using 'literally' for everything, especially since people generally mean the opposite (figuratively).  Someday it will hopefully be something we laugh at, like when "bad" meant "good" back in the 80s.

I think by literally he meant literally because it's impossible read something after your eyeballs have been literally dragged across a table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Network57 said:

I think by literally he meant literally because it's impossible read something after your eyeballs have been literally dragged across a table.

Judging by how the OP bolded the word "eyes", I'm pretty sure they were upset that the editors of the book let that slip past, since Silas only has one eye.  Thus, the poor editing apparently makes the book 'literally' (blegh) unreadable.

Edited by KBlumhardt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe.

The opposite of literal is figurative, while the opposite of virtual is actual. Some people seem to use literally to mean actually. (And in most cases, they could improve their language style and lose no meaning by dropping either adverb altogether.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carthoris said:

Maybe.

The opposite of literal is figurative, while the opposite of virtual is actual. Some people seem to use literally to mean actually. (And in most cases, they could improve their language style and lose no meaning by dropping either adverb altogether.)

I'd rather people misuse "literally" than have to see the word "actually" again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 8:38 PM, Sindriss said:

"Call me Silas." He pushed the money away and stood, dragging his eyes away from the tome...

Learn Polish language every word has 200 posibility of meaning ^^ Or even more hehe, try it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 'literally' is mostly used ironically to emphasize metaphorical points so much that its meaning has changed in the vernacular to actually mean 'approximately' rather than 'exactly as written'. 

Actually, that's literally ironic, yah? (Or is it just hypothetically ironic?)

Edited by ColinEdwards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ColinEdwards said:

I think 'literally' is mostly used ironically to emphasize metaphorical points so much that its meaning has changed in the vernacular to actually mean 'approximately' rather than 'exactly as written'. 

Actually, that's literally ironic, yah? (Or is it just hypothetically ironic?)

Maybe by some... but I'd argue most people who abuse 'literally' do it simply out of habit or because they've heard so many other people use it and don't really understand what it is actually supposed to mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...