Sign in to follow this  
Sindriss

The Deep Gate literally unreadable!

There's quite a few instances referring to Silas'"eyes", even though the book really belabours the point that he only has one eye. 

I thought the story was OK in a pulpy sort of way, though very rushed, but really needed better editing and proofreading.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:16 AM, SGPrometheus said:

So by literally, you mean figuratively.

I can't wait until we get past this stupid thing with using 'literally' for everything, especially since people generally mean the opposite (figuratively).  Someday it will hopefully be something we laugh at, like when "bad" meant "good" back in the 80s.

5 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

I can't wait until we get past this stupid thing with using 'literally' for everything, especially since people generally mean the opposite (figuratively).  Someday it will hopefully be something we laugh at, like when "bad" meant "good" back in the 80s.

I think by literally he meant literally because it's impossible read something after your eyeballs have been literally dragged across a table.

12 hours ago, Network57 said:

I think by literally he meant literally because it's impossible read something after your eyeballs have been literally dragged across a table.

Judging by how the OP bolded the word "eyes", I'm pretty sure they were upset that the editors of the book let that slip past, since Silas only has one eye.  Thus, the poor editing apparently makes the book 'literally' (blegh) unreadable.

Edited by KBlumhardt

Maybe.

The opposite of literal is figurative, while the opposite of virtual is actual. Some people seem to use literally to mean actually. (And in most cases, they could improve their language style and lose no meaning by dropping either adverb altogether.)

1 hour ago, Carthoris said:

Maybe.

The opposite of literal is figurative, while the opposite of virtual is actual. Some people seem to use literally to mean actually. (And in most cases, they could improve their language style and lose no meaning by dropping either adverb altogether.)

I'd rather people misuse "literally" than have to see the word "actually" again.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:38 PM, Sindriss said:

"Call me Silas." He pushed the money away and stood, dragging his eyes away from the tome...

Learn Polish language every word has 200 posibility of meaning ^^ Or even more hehe, try it :)

1 hour ago, CSerpent said:

I'd rather people misuse "literally" than have to see the word "actually" again.

I'd say there are unbeatable odds that you'll have to suffer both--proof that you live in an uncaring and inimical universe.

I think 'literally' is mostly used ironically to emphasize metaphorical points so much that its meaning has changed in the vernacular to actually mean 'approximately' rather than 'exactly as written'. 

Actually, that's literally ironic, yah? (Or is it just hypothetically ironic?)

Edited by ColinEdwards

9 hours ago, ColinEdwards said:

I think 'literally' is mostly used ironically to emphasize metaphorical points so much that its meaning has changed in the vernacular to actually mean 'approximately' rather than 'exactly as written'. 

Actually, that's literally ironic, yah? (Or is it just hypothetically ironic?)

Maybe by some... but I'd argue most people who abuse 'literally' do it simply out of habit or because they've heard so many other people use it and don't really understand what it is actually supposed to mean.