Sign in to follow this  
MysticSwords

Restringuntus against a hand of only one house?

So, an extremely rare scenario sure but it came up in my local game shop.

Player A played Restringuntus and chose Sanctum.

Player B had a board of Ether Spider and Shadow Self and a hand of 6 Sanctum cards.

What happens in this case? Player B cannot choose Sanctum to discard/play any cards. Ether Spider and Shadow Self deal no damage in combat. Is Player B just....unable to play?

Edit: Play in the sense of doing anything at all with their hand. They could still choose Mars and Shadows but can realistically only reap until both creatures die.

Edited by MysticSwords

I would say that is a rare syzygy and personally I love when that stuff happens! Even when I'm on the losing side, it's fun to have memories of those omfg plays. I had one game where I got to double Library Access just on the draw. I played it with only 2 cards left in the deck and after shuffling it came up on the second card I drew after the shuffle. It was a fun and memorable experience. Another one was I had 1 key forged, my opponent had 2 and was on 7 amber. I managed to reap with all my mars stuff and then play 2 Key Abductions and ****** the win. Things like this are just awesome.

One of the great things about this game and the fact that you can't deck build is you get situations that are extraordinary. I love hearing about these and can't wait to see one of them upset a big win. 

13 hours ago, Krashwire said:

I would say that is a rare syzygy and personally I love when that stuff happens! Even when I'm on the losing side, it's fun to have memories of those omfg plays. I had one game where I got to double Library Access just on the draw. I played it with only 2 cards left in the deck and after shuffling it came up on the second card I drew after the shuffle. It was a fun and memorable experience. Another one was I had 1 key forged, my opponent had 2 and was on 7 amber. I managed to reap with all my mars stuff and then play 2 Key Abductions and ****** the win. Things like this are just awesome.

One of the great things about this game and the fact that you can't deck build is you get situations that are extraordinary. I love hearing about these and can't wait to see one of them upset a big win. 

Before Keyforge was on sale, I proxied some decks with cards that just seemed like they would be fun to play with (Aember Tree was up and there was a forum thread that was averaging out deck construction). One of the decks had Novu Achaeologist, Experimental Therapy, and Control the Weak. At the time, I didn't even think anything of it, but after a few games one of my friends realized he could lock me into the same house every turn, which in turn locked me out of playing or reaping.

Fast forward to now, one of the decks we opened actually has that combo in it and we were super excited!

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:58 PM, dperello said:

This is the problem some have with Restringuntus.  Belive it or not, some people value playing over winning, so a card that does what Restringuntus does is anathema to them.  I am one of these strange people...

I'd consider that to be similar to disliking Key Charge or Bait and Switch. All of them are legitimate and balanced ways of playing the game, but some people don't enjoy the gameplay of facing them, and that's fair. I just believe that not playing the game is sometimes the game.

I locked a player out yesterday using a witch of the eye.

Witch of the Eye -> Mimicry -> Control the weak.

Just keep calling the same house.  If your witch lives through the next couple of turns you probably won.

This is correct, but agree it is dumb. 

I don't mind that lockouts exist periodically when specific circumstances and combos occur. 

I think restringuntus is a poor design decision, and too easy to use in an abusive way.