Drakoniss

10mm epic legion! I wish

I think it's more like 6mm but...

You can go buy up a couple each of the two different MPC/Ertl plastic Hoth dioramas and you could do it. They made a battle scene and a rebel base interior. You'd have rebel infantry, stormtroopers, rebels on tauntauns, Atgar cannons, Golan arms turrets, AT-ST's, AT-AT's, snowspeeders, plus a few uniquely casted figures like Leia and 3PO to designate command bases.

You'd also have X-Wings, Y-Wings, Falcons, rebel transports and ruined AT-AT's to make scenery. Both these kits were sold in the 80's and thanks to a late 90's re-release aren't all that hard to come by.

Pre-painted, Micro Machine starfighters on stiff wire would probably be your best bet for strafing runs.

When this was announced I was hoping for 6-10mm scale, so a single base is a squad and you can have multiple AT-ATS, starfighters, and the like. 

Legion is fine, I just want bigger battles without more physical units.

I ended up making my own rules and set using micro machines. 

Edited by Hawkstrike

Eh, no thanks.  I love the smaller, infantry focus.  It allows for more details on the units and doesn't feel overly massive.  I just wish they hadn't included units like Sparky so early. 

Epic scale makes sense for the clone wars with their planetary campaigns but large scale combat doesn't fit well with a Rebel hit-and-run strategy.  The only large scale combat we see is Hoth which was never a fair fight- it was a rearguard action.  Definitely worth playing but it doesn't come across as the norm. 

The rebels usually have the initiative and focus on raids.  AT-ATs are impressive but I imagine the rebels would avoid fighting them and work on sabotage and supply line disruption.

That said, I'm sure there is scope between Endor and the First Order for large scale combat.  The Battle of Jakku for example. 

Pretty much everything in the original Star Wars movies lent itself to miniature armies of "between 6 and 60" to begin with. The perfect solution for Hoth, in my opinion, would be if FFG got permission to reprint the old cardstock game.

But options exist.

The attack on hoth amt kits are a great source for 10mm figures.

everything else in the box is more or less x-wing scale compatible. 

the best 10 mm comparable Star Wars ground vehicles are from Bandai 1-144 scale. they make an AT-AT snow speeder and AT-ST in that scale.

Im sort of collecting both x-wing and 10-mill scale Star Wars stuff now. X-wing scale will be for hoth and 10mm will be for Endor.

On this kind of line, I'm thinking of modding the rules for Memoir '44/Command & Colors; I can steal walkers and troopers from Rebellion, and MicroMachines produced a lot of character figures which could serve as leaders. I have enough X-wing minis that I could just place those around the map to mark locations where airstrikes are called in, maybe even hybridize to move and activate the air units by X-wing rules as they're flying over the battlefield, typically well out of range of ground units (exempting dedicated anti-aircraft artillery, of course...)

Miniatures would not be to scale, in this case, of course, but neither are the miniatures in Armada. The point would be to show their positions relative to each other and to mission objectives, so running the ground as a sliding scale would be fine with me, and the ships looking out of scale would just reinforce that the two combat arenas are separate battles which happen to interact with one another.

I'd love this, however the larger the scale the less significant heroes and villains are.

Originally I hated the scale of legion being so similar to Imperial Assault, however the gameplay and tactical elements really turned that around for me.

I'd still be up for a 6-10mm scale in a coupel of years, as it would really be about vehices, legions of troops and air support which would be awesome.

In as much as Legion is like 40K. 6-15mm would be remarkably like Flames of War.

Flames does a pretty good job of integrating vehicles and infantry in a WW2 setting.

I wonder what you could do with a couple of boxes of Rebellion and some plastic kits/X-Wing craft?

18 hours ago, Digimortal said:

I'd love this, however the larger the scale the less significant heroes and villains are.

Depends on how liberal you are with the force powers. The Darth Vader comics have him taking on hundreds of troops at once and winning.

For non-force users, there is always leadership style abilities, which come into play a lot at this scale.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:50 PM, MarekMandalore said:

On this kind of line, I'm thinking of modding the rules for Memoir '44/Command & Colors; I can steal walkers and troopers from Rebellion, and MicroMachines produced a lot of character figures which could serve as leaders. I have enough X-wing minis that I could just place those around the map to mark locations where airstrikes are called in, maybe even hybridize to move and activate the air units by X-wing rules as they're flying over the battlefield, typically well out of range of ground units (exempting dedicated anti-aircraft artillery, of course...)

Miniatures would not be to scale, in this case, of course, but neither are the miniatures in Armada. The point would be to show their positions relative to each other and to mission objectives, so running the ground as a sliding scale would be fine with me, and the ships looking out of scale would just reinforce that the two combat arenas are separate battles which happen to interact with one another.

Have you checked out the old Hoth or Endor cardboard games? You move chit units around on a map, might be interesting for some rules inspiration. I never played it back in the day but PDF's of it are around if you search.

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

Have you checked out the old Hoth or Endor cardboard games? You move chit units around on a map, might be interesting for some rules inspiration. I never played it back in the day but PDF's of it are around if you search.

that is basically what I just posted 3d miniatures for.