Sign in to follow this  
Shrapnelsmile

First Legion Match -- what are common rule mistakes?

Greetings everyone,

Our local legion community is gathering this weekend -- for the first time via Facebook.  most of us have never even met, let alone play a game.

But my buddy and I are determined to get rolling.

Can you name a few common new-player rule mistakes we should be aware of? We want to have a smooth meetup.

Thanks

Yep, definitely suppression was something I constantly forgot.

Remembering to flip your order token down after you activate is also important.

Remembering that you can reroll 2 dice with an aim token, or 3 if you're using Stormtroopers.

The whole attack flowchart can be pretty confusing, especially when there are aim and dodge involved, plus pierce, suppression, etc.  

Dodge and Cover cancellations happen immediately after the attacker is done re-rolling with aim tokens and converting surges, before the defender rolls defense dice.

Me and my friend got this wrong our first game because we were so used to X-wing attack flowchart, and rolled too many defense dice as a result.

I also heard of a couple of friends of mine that played their first game and thought that all units could only roll ONE defense die because that's what the card shows in the graphic.  You roll a number of defense dice equal to the remaining hits and crits after dodge/cover and impact/armor take effect.

5 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

Trooper is a keyword that almost everything on foot has on their card, not a rank. People often confuse it with Corps, forgetting that Special Forces and Commanders are all Troopers as well.

To add to this, the thing that caused most confusion when we were getting started is that a "trooper" or "vehicle" is a *unit*, not a miniature. So force push pushes the unit, the tow cable rotates the unit, etc etc.

Like others have said-- Go through the Attack step carefully: Roll Dice (Which includes re-rolls & surge modifiers)-- then Cover/Dodge-- then Modify Dice (Apply Impact)-- then Defense.

Something we are aware of but often miss-- Line of sight (on defender) only models that can be seen can be wounded (and LOS is from any model in the attacking unit). we’ve probably removed too many models because we forgot this.

Something I’ve noticed watching a number of batreps-- When all Commanders are defeated, the Unit being promoted to Commander happens at the End of the Round. A lot of times people want to make that change right away. It’s important to note that-- it affects Courage rolls for that round, as well as the remaining Token Pool. After the promotion, the new commanding unit takes the Commander Rank Token for their Orders.

Cover only ever goes up to 2. So: no cover, light cover, heavy cover are your options. You can reach heavy cover from a number of situations (ie Suppression+ Light Cover). If you have Heavy Cover, plus Suppression, you still only have Heavy Cover (reducing hits by 2). Then, anything that reduces cover is applied. So Sharpshooter 2 automatically removes any cover bonus a unit may have.

We’ve learned in our games to read the rules. Play and have fun. Re-read sections in the rules that came up. Play some more. Try looking up rules that may apply to my new list and combos. Play some more.

Every single unit in the game has a leader, even units that only have a single miniature. Luke is the leader of his unit. An AT-RT miniature is the leader of a unit which is made up of a single AT-RT miniature. This is important for the objective cards, mostly. If only "Trooper unit leaders" can score, then Luke or Han can be used to score. If it's just "unit leaders," that means every unit in the game is capable of scoring.

3 hours ago, colki said:

To add to this, the thing that caused most confusion when we were getting started is that a "trooper" or "vehicle" is a *unit*, not a miniature. So force push pushes the unit, the tow cable rotates the unit, etc etc.

has any rebel player rotated speeder bikes so they fly off the board/ into terrain that damages them yet?

6 minutes ago, Geressen said:

has any rebel player rotated speeder bikes so they fly off the board/ into terrain that damages them yet?

I'm sure someone has. given the abilities that Speeder Bikes have, you have to roll a natural crit to get it through, though.

29 minutes ago, Geressen said:

One thing that confused me in my games t the start is dodge and aim tokens, do they stay on the unit beyond end of the round, do they get removed that sorta thing

The answer (I'm not sure if you know or not, but the OP might still need the info) is that all green tokens (including Dodge, Aim, and Standby) are removed at the end of the round. This is the same time when you remove 1 Suppression token from each unit and pick up all your order tokens.

1 hour ago, arnoldrew said:

The answer (I'm not sure if you know or not, but the OP might still need the info) is that all green tokens (including Dodge, Aim, and Standby) are removed at the end of the round. This is the same time when you remove 1 Suppression token from each unit and pick up all your order tokens.

yes but I couldn't let my only post in this topic be off topc

Make sure you hash out the details of any terrain on the table and what it classifies as in the RRG. This will save you midgame headache of “idk, I think my guy is in heavy cover...” if it is something you’ve always considered light. 

Its not about maliciousness or cheating or anything bad - just different expectations. I’d argue cargomcrates are light cover, for example, because they’re not armored up to take a beating like a barricade. Another player would argue they’re solid and not made of wood so they’re heavy cover. Nobody is right or wrong there - just agree for the game and move on (I generally defer to the player who brought that piece of custom terrain if in doubt, unless everything is magically heavy cover and there’s a way to mix it up)

Edited by ScummyRebel

One of the more common mistakes I see is people using “unit” and “mini” interchangeably. It’s a simple, and understandable, mistake that ultimately leads to confusion when resolving lots of rules questions. So understanding the difference between those two and recognizing which one an effect refers to are key.

Mini = a single miniature

Unit = a group of one or more minis

On 1/22/2019 at 11:48 PM, Matroskin said:

Like others have said-- Go through the Attack step carefully: Roll Dice (Which includes re-rolls & surge modifiers)-- then Cover/Dodge-- then Modify Dice (Apply Impact)-- then Defense.

Something we are aware of but often miss-- Line of sight (on defender) only models that can be seen can be wounded (and LOS is from any model in the attacking unit). we’ve probably removed too many models because we forgot this.

Something I’ve noticed watching a number of batreps-- When all Commanders are defeated, the Unit being promoted to Commander happens at the End of the Round. A lot of times people want to make that change right away. It’s important to note that-- it affects Courage rolls for that round, as well as the remaining Token Pool. After the promotion, the new commanding unit takes the Commander Rank Token for their Orders.

Cover only ever goes up to 2. So: no cover, light cover, heavy cover are your options. You can reach heavy cover from a number of situations (ie Suppression+ Light Cover). If you have Heavy Cover, plus Suppression, you still only have Heavy Cover (reducing hits by 2). Then, anything that reduces cover is applied. So Sharpshooter 2 automatically removes any cover bonus a unit may have.

We’ve learned in our games to read the rules. Play and have fun. Re-read sections in the rules that came up. Play some more. Try looking up rules that may apply to my new list and combos. Play some more.

Well said key to have FUN

A weapon with a keyword adds that keyword to the entire attackpool, not just the dice thrown by the weapon itself!

Every mini in a unit may throw a grenade, multiplying both its dice and keywords.

Those two I think was my first "wtf" moments :)