Jump to content
GrumpyBatman

Beanstalk on the Boat!

Recommended Posts

I grabbed a copy at my local game store, along with a copy of the Undercity novella, which had a few RPG-related items. Definitely enjoying the Shadow of the Beanstalk art and material, and glad I had grabbed the earlier World of Android. ;) . Very happy to see this out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheSapient said:

Character and vehicle sheets are on the FFG product page now.

But sadly no pdf yet - come on, FFG, show some love for your overseas customers and put Shadow of the Beanstalk online! ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Riggswolfe said:

Mine arrived yesterday but as I feared my preorder bonuses weren't in the packages. I called support. *sighs*

What preorder bonuses were you supposed to have? Haven’t seen anyone else talking about them so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iJiminy said:

What preorder bonuses were you supposed to have? Haven’t seen anyone else talking about them so far.

For the main book, a free copy of the Novella. For the card packs if you bought one, you got the other two free. It was all in my cart but doesn't seem to have registered in my account or something. I hadn't preordered before so I figured it just wasn't showing or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, themensch said:

Given what those character sheets looked like, I'm inclined to give them some time to make sure the book's PDF is solid. 

The book was printed from the PDF. They have it finalized, they just haven't decided to release it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, c__beck said:

The book was printed from the PDF. They have it finalized, they just haven't decided to release it yet.

You don't know that!  For all we know, it was synthesized from the same source files, as most print media have cmyk and border marks on them, at least from my limited experience with the subject.  Also they tend to travel in much higher res than what's available in PDF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, themensch said:

You don't know that!  For all we know, it was synthesized from the same source files, as most print media have cmyk and border marks on them, at least from my limited experience with the subject.  Also they tend to travel in much higher res than what's available in PDF. 

That's true. CMYK vs RGB. Probably downsize and optimize images.

My point being they could release a PDF if they wanted. But haven't. And as a PDF-only person I am miffed. And slightly irrational about the topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, c__beck said:

That's true. CMYK vs RGB. Probably downsize and optimize images.

My point being they could release a PDF if they wanted. But haven't. And as a PDF-only person I am miffed. And slightly irrational about the topic.

My guess is that they are intentionally choosing different time intervals between physical and and electronic releases to get more data points on how sales of one affects sales of the other.  

I personally will buy both for this release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, c__beck said:

That's true. CMYK vs RGB. Probably downsize and optimize images.

My point being they could release a PDF if they wanted. But haven't. And as a PDF-only person I am miffed. And slightly irrational about the topic.

Yes, I agree, the effort required to do a PDF after a print run has to be pretty minimal and could have been done while they were waiting for the finals from the printer.  Me, I'm a "pay for it twice like a sucker but hey now I can read it on my phone in the can" guy, so I feel your pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, themensch said:

Yes, I agree, the effort required to do a PDF after a print run has to be pretty minimal and could have been done while they were waiting for the finals from the printer.  Me, I'm a "pay for it twice like a sucker but hey now I can read it on my phone in the can" guy, so I feel your pain. 

This is me too.  I ended up buying the physical copy at my LGS, but usually I like to buy the pdf first. I usually don't buy the physical unless I'm gonna run it, but I figure I can use stuff from there in a space campaign if i don't run android. 

So this is embarrassing. i played the LCG pretty extensively, but it wasn't until I got my hands on the book that I noticed that New Angles is in Ecuador?  There isn't much in the way of history in the book, but it's a US territory in Ecuador? Am I understanding that correctly? 

Edited by Gundark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Gundark said:

So this is embarrassing. i played the LCG pretty extensively, but it wasn't until I got my hands on the book that I noticed that New Angles is in Ecuador?  There isn't much in the way of history in the book, but it's a US territory in Ecuador? Am I understanding that correctly? 

Yes, the US leased the land around the beanstalk (space elevator) build site until the end of the century (much like Hong Kong was leased by the UK). There is more about New Angeles' political situation in The Worlds of Android.

Edited by Colgrevance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really enjoying this book, i think they learned a lot after realeasing the Terrinoth book. The layout, formatting, and choice of content is (in my opinion) leagues better then RoT.

 

I really like how they handle cybernetics and g-mods. The way hacking works (from both a lore and mechanical perspective) has me very excited. 

 

Edit: I will say that the only thing I'm confused and frustrated about is not recieving the novella with my order. I'm have to reach out to customer service, but it's a little annoying.

Edited by Noahjam325

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Riggswolfe said:

For the main book, a free copy of the Novella. For the card packs if you bought one, you got the other two free. It was all in my cart but doesn't seem to have registered in my account or something. I hadn't preordered before so I figured it just wasn't showing or something.

I think I know what your confusion is. If you preordered the book from FFG the novella showed up in your cart so you could preorder it at the same time, however if you looked at the quantity it was set to zero. Same thing with the cards, if you clicked on one pack to preorder the other two showed up in the cart at zero quantity so you could add them to your preorder without having to make several orders and pay for shipping on each one. I wish they had a better system for ordering because I really didn't want to pay shipping twice, once for the book and novella and a second time for the cards as there wasn't a way for me to add the cards to my book/novella order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Noahjam325 said:

I'm really enjoying this book, i think they learned a lot after realeasing the Terrinoth book. The layout, formatting, and choice of content is (in my opinion) leagues better then RoT.

 

Except RoT had a character sheet, SotB does not. At least not in the physical copy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gundark said:

Except RoT had a character sheet, SotB does not. At least not in the physical copy

But that means SotB has three more pages for content! That's, like, a half dozen icebreakers or 8 more NPCs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...