So we've finally been able to run a Chainbound event! We had to buy a second camera to do it, but it's finally working.

We ran a four player event, which ran smoothly - however, at the end we had results which meant two players had two wins, and two players had one win. The players with two wins had the same Win/Loss record, the same SoS, and the same ESoS - but the system has clearly decided one of them to be in first and one to be in second. As this made a difference in prizes awarded, please can I ask what criteria GEM uses to decide who gets ranked where when the numbers are the same across the board?

KeyforgeResults.jpg

We've a similar issue come up in our first Chainbound event (also a 4 player pod).

Even being give a second camera (from another store who had used it to run chainbound events) didn't solve it for us - two seperate PCs using either of our cameras were not able to get the codes to scan direct from app or cards. 

We ended up getting players to screenshot their profile QR codes and photograph their deck codes in order to enlarge them to the point that the cameras could pick them up. 

image.thumb.png.ab678da05a1d34961fa5edab23595e4c.png

Same query, what is the tie-breaker it's using to decide placings (our 1st place according to this was beaten in R2 by 3rd place).

I'm also curious as to why it's running 3 rounds for 4 players?

I've always understood the correct way to do swiss pairings (to avoid precisely this sort of 2-3way win scenario) is;
4 players - 2 rounds
5-8 players - 3 rounds
9-16 players - 4 rounds
17-32 players - 5 rounds etc

23 hours ago, Proud Lion said:

what criteria GEM uses to decide who gets ranked where when the numbers are the same across the board?

Per the OP rules (https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/bf/4d/bf4db20f-92b7-4bdb-b1af-ba1dcb2fd435/kf_tournament_regulations-compressed.pdf) (Page 9) the final tie breaker when everything else is tied is "random".

Anecdotally, I've found that GEM appears to award the win to the player who got 2 wins first. However this is based on an extremely small sample size without any knowledge of the algorithms used internally in the software so could very easily be me seeing patterns where there are none.

On 5/12/2019 at 3:37 PM, gamersemporium said:

I'm also curious as to why it's running 3 rounds for 4 players?

I've always understood the correct way to do swiss pairings (to avoid precisely this sort of 2-3way win scenario) is;
4 players - 2 rounds
5-8 players - 3 rounds
9-16 players - 4 rounds
17-32 players - 5 rounds etc

I don't know if it's truly random, first to X wins, or what WER does (order of registration), but I would not base a prize schedule for Chainbound on place, but rather number of wins. The chains to be added are based on number of wins, and that explains why you have 3 rounds for a 4-person pod. 

On 3/28/2019 at 3:17 PM, RedHawkOP said:

Hello all,

Alex Watkins here.  I want to thank Jeff for being on here and answering peoples questions.  I also want o thank everyone for taking the time to contact us and give feedback.  I have made a couple of videos to help stores get set up on GEM.  the first video goes through eh step required to set up and the second goes through a ChainBound event.

Set Up

https://youtu.be/-dQ75wu180g

Chainbound
https://youtu.be/JvOB9bDDrxA

Those videos were so useful! Wish we had seen them when we were setting up. Would've saved us a lot of time and headaches. (And thus you guys, too.) Can you please pin this somewhere, like to the start of this thread?

Posted (edited)

Question about tournaments variants: will they ever be supported with official software? Or it is better to play these variants unofficially and forget about GEM if running these tournaments?

Edited by alexshep

11 hours ago, kenkakuknight said:

I’ve found the iOS app for my iPad, but I can’t find the Android app for my Galaxy S9. I’d appreciate any help on this matter.

I just searched the Play Store for "GEM Remote" and found it.

I attempted to update my GEM software, it started then said there was a suspicious file. So, I tried again, but now it thinks the old version was already uninstalled and will  not proceed with the new version. How can I remedy this? Is the old download available somewhere? At this point I am dead in the water to run chainbound events. Any help would be appreciated. 

We need manually entry of participants like 30 minutes ago.   I was banging my head against the wall here trying to sort out why I couldn't do anything, then the community organizer asked if we had a webcam.  No we do not, we are a retail business, I have never once needed a webcam for anything in my life.

A half hour later of multi tasking (one of which was this), I find this thread with no solution to my dilemma.  

Also why is there no retailer tournament support number I could have called? 

Please fix all this.   Using 3rd party software for pairings and no official reporting of this event.. yay.......

Also could you respond in a more direct manner, these forums are not part of my regular routine.  I will probably not think to check them before our next keyforge event is planned for July 13th

You can send a reply to my email.   thank you

On 6/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, gulfcoastgaming said:

I attempted to update my GEM software, it started then said there was a suspicious file. So, I tried again, but now it thinks the old version was already uninstalled and will  not proceed with the new version. How can I remedy this? Is the old download available somewhere? At this point I am dead in the water to run chainbound events. Any help would be appreciated. 

Is anyone monitoring this forum any more? I need serious assistance. I have even emailed gem support twice with no response! I am UNABLE to run ANY events. I do not have GEM to run them any more and it will not download and install!!!

I work in a game store in Brazil. We started using the program recently and faced the following issues:

1. All events were properly registered as "tournament" on the site and were visible on the store locator a few days before the event.
2. On the day of the event, we logged into the program, but we did not find the events registered on the site anywhere, so we started a new event, even with our profile logged in the program we only found "casual" events, we filled everything after the event. event created, we appeared the possibility to upgrade to "chainbound", we did and we ran the interior event normally.
3. When the event is over, we tried to edit the report and to our surprise, it was not possible because the list is blank (see attachment).

We ask for help because we want to promote the growth of the community of players in our region, thank you.

Imagem 2.png

Hi, I tried contacting Jeff Brower by forum DM about that

It's not direcly related to GEM, but I found out there is a vulnerability in using the current profile ID QR code that you scan for tournaments at Vault Tour for exchanging ember shards for IRL prizes.

It's possible to get a valid QR code for any user, including current Vault Tour winners with hundreds of shards, without event needing they account password. Thus spending others people shards to buy merch.

If any Asmodee/FFG official want to reach me, or if you direcly or indirecly have contact with staff, let me know. You can DM me and should have access to my personnal email too.

As for other people wanting to know how that can be done, dont bother trying, I won't leak that out.