Sign in to follow this  
Leia Hourglass

What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG fan fic be working on?

18 hours ago, Leia Hourglass said:

I am an extremely big Star Wars fan thank you very much. I read all the Wookieepedia articles and science is their; it just isn’t mentioned much. Read Catalyst. Or Gallandiums Fantastic Technology

I want to tell an authentic story. It’s bad enough Han Solo doesn’t know what a Parsec is. I could always make the black hole a wormhole but then again that’s problematic. 

Black holes are the perfect sci-fi go-tos.  Sure, pure science will say it is impossible but if it sounds reasonable, use it anyways.

I am running a game in the timeline of just before Return of the Jedi - Palpatine and the Empire are still very much active.I recently ran an adventure where they came across a Je'daii Warrior who had left Tython in search of new worlds, crashed on an Ice Asteroid, and went into a what was basically a Cryo-freeze chamber waiting for a rescue.  Rescue came when the PCs helped on a salvage mission - 30,000 years later.  Since the Cryo-freeze chamber had safely frozen him when power went out on the ship, he remained there until thawed.  Sure it's psuedo-science and implausible but it opened up for a good adventure.

To explain the cryo-freeze unit, I explained that these were used pre-hyperspace travel.  As hyperspace travel was something new to the Je'daii they found, his system was still equipped with it.

13 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

After saying that, I still have to wonder how you think that bad science is reason enough to drop a Star Wars story. There's bad science in pretty much every Star Wars story and most people don't care all that much when they've got bad acting and crap scripts to complain about. OK, there might be some exceptions (Starkiller Base with it's dumb supergun and the redefining of the hyperspace "rules" in the new films), but generally science is just a background element in Star Wars, so why give it so much attention?

Also, why try to "go big" with a background element? There are numerous areas where research to produce an incremental improvement would be fine as a background story. Since it's unlikely that anything truly novel is going to pop out after 25k years of science, go for modest changes in what's already out there. Something that improves material strength of a metal even at reduced density, improvements to a droid's memory and recall speed, more fuel efficient or higher performance ion turbines can all work. If you want to go creepy, how about a cybernetic implant that works like a restraining bolt on biological beings?

Youre right. I’ll give the story another shot. 

On 3/4/2019 at 2:40 AM, HappyDaze said:

After saying that, I still have to wonder how you think that bad science is reason enough to drop a Star Wars story. There's bad science in pretty much every Star Wars story and most people don't care all that much when they've got bad acting and crap scripts to complain about. OK, there might be some exceptions (Starkiller Base with it's dumb supergun and the redefining of the hyperspace "rules" in the new films), but generally science is just a background element in Star Wars, so why give it so much attention?

Also, why try to "go big" with a background element? There are numerous areas where research to produce an incremental improvement would be fine as a background story. Since it's unlikely that anything truly novel is going to pop out after 25k years of science, go for modest changes in what's already out there. Something that improves material strength of a metal even at reduced density, improvements to a droid's memory and recall speed, more fuel efficient or higher performance ion turbines can all work. If you want to go creepy, how about a cybernetic implant that works like a restraining bolt on biological beings?

I like the restraining bolt for organics. I searched Wookieepedia and the closest were the kill switch in Darth Vader’s suit put their by Dr. Cylo in canon and an offhand hypothetical comment in one of the Legacy of the Force books. 

This technology is EXTREMELY viable for Star Wars and I think you uncovered a plot problem. Why didn’t the Empire and First Order implant their stormtroopers with this technology or cybernetic kill switches? Their would never be defectors. 

I decided to go with a quark star. It’s better than a black hole because we don’t even know if they exist. Perfect for expansion However, I still need something for him to be working on before he deals with the quark star. I’m looking not for a gadget or piece of tech. I’ve decided everything technological that we can think of, can be done. Speeders with deflector shields? Sure. We haven’t seen them but they can easily be done. I’m looking for something that would still be an emerging field of science. Something a Type II/III civilization would do next. Any ideas?

Im going about this all wrong when it comes to asking what idea I want. Im looking for a science thing that my scientist could study. On Steven Jackson games forum, someone suggested the migration patterns of Purgills. It would have been perfect except for the fact that it might lead someone to Ezra and Thrawn. That story will be told in the future. I want something unique but also a science that my scientist can study as his main work. Not an invention.

Possible - The detailed mechanics of planet formation, with special emphasis on how coaxium is formed, and thus how to predict which planets may have it.

Massively significant knowledge if it pans out . . .

2 hours ago, Leia Hourglass said:

I’m thinking about doing something related to Hyperspace. What science can my scientist study about Hyperspace before he’s called away to deal with the supermassive black hole?

could simply be studying hyperspace routes through the deep core and the affect clusters of black holes have on those routes. This way he is already an expert of Large black holes before he is called away. Giving a reason why he specifically would be called. Or inversely if he needs to be called TO the core he can be studying the same basic thing in "wild space"

Edited by tunewalker