Sign in to follow this  
Leia Hourglass

What could a scientist in my Star Wars RPG fan fic be working on?

Im trying to write a RPG story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

A time machine
A teleporter
A matter replicator
A singularity Weapon
Any type of droid
Anything to do with holograms
A food synthesizer
Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians
A shrink ray
A freeze ray
pico and femtotechnology
A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.
Liquid metal armor or a nano morph
Any improvements on the hyperdrive
Limb regeneration
Hyperspace nullifier
Holodeck
Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)
Philosophers Stone
Kinetic weapons
Solar sail
Anything to do with kyber crystals
Gene editing
Improvements on deflector shields
Mech suit
Exosuit
Gender change
Anything to do with anti-aging
In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.

Synthetic coaxium, a lower-cost alternative to rare and dangerous mining operations. Not necessarily an improvement to a hyperdrive, but a way to make space travel and commerce more cost-effective and accessible.

Efficiency improvements on repulsorlift systems. The manufacturers could use those improvements for energy efficiency, but we all know they'll just crank up the Newtons for an impressive spec sheet.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:16 AM, kaosoe said:

A way to transfer an organics mind into a machine such as a droid or computer terminal. The scientist could be trying to preserver a dying relatives life.

This has been somewhat done in the EU when Luke's protege had transferred their lover's mind into the droid and then the ship Luke had been trapped on was running partially with the transferred mind of a Jedi . 

Also pretty sure the Solar Sail has been done. Episode II when Dooku was fleeing Yoda and the clones. His ship used a solar sail.

Edited by ThreeBFour
Adding more

Not sure why you have limited yourself so significantly. You probably want it to sound suitably Star Wars-y but you have eliminated a lot of interesting options.

My recommendation would be working on an alternative to Coaxiom as a necessary component for ship fuel. Given its rarity and dangerous properties. Basically a Star Wars analog for synthetic fuel.

1 hour ago, BadMotivator said:

My recommendation would be working on an alternative to Coaxiom as a necessary component for ship fuel. Given its rarity and dangerous properties. Basically a Star Wars analog for synthetic fuel.

That's easy enough; just play without magical hyperfuel like the games have been played for 25+ years. 😋

This just came up in a current game I'm in playing a Jawa. Something similar to our present day bamboo fabrics that are anti-microbial and odor reducing. Also the Star Wars version of Frebreeze.

I had a suggestion, but I think this may count as "type of droid", though it could be counted as "cloning". One idea I had was a type of Human Replication droid, or possibly an altered Clawdite clone that is created/ programmed to find and destroy a target and has the ability to mimic and replace that target. The twist is that the doctor himself has already been replaced by one of his proto-types and how many have already gotten out into the galaxy is unknown, but ever time they can kill and use a disruptor to disintegrate the body they can take on a new form and mimic a new identity, and now anyone could simply be a replica.

If it isn't important to the story, just pick a system or material and state he is researching improvements to that.  And jsut because he makes it work in the lab doesn't mean it breaks continuity.  It may not scale well to the real world.  And that could even be the focus of his research.

For instance, he is researching Quadranium materials technology.  Currently he has produced a few ounces of the material, and has shown that it provides 50x the strength of currently used materials.  Unfortunately, while interesting, there are 2 flaws.  First, it costs 50,000 credits per ounce to produce.  And second, its structure collapses when exposed to cold (perhaps explosively?).  He is currently working on countering the flaw and reducing the cost to usable levels.  This material shows promise to replace structural materials and armor through many systems.

A virus to systematically remove non-humans from a planet. The filthy alliance have them as their rank and file; thus no rebellion could survive spiking the water supply of every world they take over!

A new brand of toothpaste.

A type of exoskeleton designed to provide assistance to the elderly; much of the previous information was lost during the clone wars.

Are droids truly sentient? Experimenting on droid minds. 

Pikecreet. Basically, trying to design a energy resistant armour plating made solely out of Ice interlaced with a thermal conductive material. Issue is getting it to last longer then a couple of hours.