Sign in to follow this  
Hawkwing

Painting ships - How to?

Hi everyone,

I've been painting my squadrons for some time now and been showing them off to my brother. He appears to be impressed since he asked me to paint his interdictor. Now, I've never dabbled in painting ships, so I hope that some of you have the time to give me some very basic instructions concerning the 'Do's and don'ts'.

The particular work in action is linked below (a bit further down the topic): 

I've tried PM'ing Jekara, but he hasn't come back to me. So now I'm asking you: How would I go about this task? 

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions! :D

I have a couple of recent how too videos.  I am currently working on an Interdictor as well and will likely post a video for it later this week.

My biggest advice is use a good quality primer, water down your paints including your wash, and try something new and experiment.

I'd strip it first.  You don't have to, you can just prime over the FF paint scheme, it doesn't really change much, more of a peace of mind thing. 

90+ % alcohol (warmed by sunlight helps) for a bit (20 minutes to hours) and then it just sluffs right off.  After that, prime then paint. 

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into the various threads and take it from there. 

15 hours ago, Recon00 said:

I'd strip it first.  You don't have to, you can just prime over the FF paint scheme, it doesn't really change much, more of a peace of mind thing. 

90+ % alcohol (warmed by sunlight helps) for a bit (20 minutes to hours) and then it just sluffs right off.  After that, prime then paint. 

So just put the ship into the liquid and let it simmer until the paint has come off?

On 1/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, Kylemcph240 said:

Did he mention what he wanted done to the interdictor or a specific color he wanted?

It's in the link I posted. It's a black colour scheme with red highlights :)

I have an Abbadon black spray can, nuln oil for shading and Mephiston red for highlighting will that suffice?

3 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into the various threads and take it from there. 

So just put the ship into the liquid and let it simmer until the paint has come off?

It's in the link I posted. It's a black colour scheme with red highlights :)

I have an Abbadon black spray can, nuln oil for shading and Mephiston red for highlighting will that suffice?

I would suggest getting some orange and yellow, possibly white as well. The red will look flat without some lighter colors to highlight it. 

Simmer might not be the best term, but yeah, let it soak for a bit.  I typically left it in a window sill for about an hour then pulled it out (with gloves on) and used and old toothbrush.  FF pain just flaked right off.