Jeff Wilder

Podcast - Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing)

Episode 21 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is available.  In this episode, Drew is animated -- "excited," not "drawn like a cartoon" -- as we discuss the Seattle System open results (Northern California players did very well), possible points changes, and what might ascend the meta if expected points changes happen.  We also talk a bit about the Worlds structure.  And, as promised in an earlier teaser, we leave an open invitation to make a choice: naked Tim Olyphant or naked Oscar Isaacs.

Audio is much better in this episode, though my track in particular seems often about 3 to 5 seconds ahead of Vince and Drew.  Hopefully we'll figure out why that's happening.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-21-the-bay-invades-seattle/

Please, please, please offer comments, questions, and criticism: here, on the Wide World of Wargaming Facebook page, or just open your bedroom or car window and scream it into the night.  It'll be fine, really.

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 22 is out, and it's a good one. We recorded it on Monday the 10th, if folks wonder.

Vince and I took 1st and 2nd at a recent small tournament with decent turnout (14), and we discuss that a bit.

Then Drew, Vince, and I all agree that stalling and "mobile fortressing" in X-Wing can be something called out by TOs, and should be. (Vince takes an -- ahem -- very strong position on it!)

Then we discuss the Fly Better Squadron (nee Mynock Squadron) name-change, and just a little bit on IP law and what's going on with that whole situation.

Then, because what we do best is complain about stuff, we circle around for a bit more on the Riverside Hyperspace Travesty ... er, Trial.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-22-controversy/

As always, we genuinely ask for listeners to post comments, questions, criticisms, and whatever else ... here, or on the Wide World of Wargaming Facebook page.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

For some reason, episode 22 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) shattered our previous download record.  Why did YOU download and listen?  (Hmmm.  Maybe I should rephrase that, so I don't sound so shocked?  It's not shock, it's gratification.)  We're genuinely interested in knowing, so if you feel like it, head to our Facebook page -- or comment here -- and tell us!

Episode 23 is up with record short editing-turnaround time, with guest Rick Ruddell of South Bay's Militant Casuals.  Drew couldn't make it this week, and we miss his "calm enthusiasm" (to wax oxymoronic), but Rick, as he did before, has a huge number of good insights.  Vince leads us in a belated discussion of the Resistance Transport (spoiler: Rick is enthusiastic, I'm lukewarm at best, and Vince seems somewhere in the middle), a recent excellent examination of X-Wing's core set dice problems (panic? don't panic? don't forget your towel?), and then a brief discussion of what we hope to see change with the points update (no Leia or Phantom predictions allowed).  I'm pretty sure you won't see one of my picks coming.

We also fight hard against our predilection for vulgarity, with only one real slip.  None of us really care -- we're foul-mouthed, and we cannot lie -- but as a listener pointed out, we don't want to alienate listeners with kids, and if that means we cut down on our eff-bombs, no problem.  (I do make one really tasteless joke, at Rick's amused expense, but Vince wisely cut it out.  The set-up for it is still in the episode, and I'm curious as to whether any of our listeners can guess what it was!)

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-23-green-dice-really-do-suck/

As always, we want to hear from you.  Comments, criticism, questions are enthusiastically and genuinely welcomed.  In particular, if you're a woman and a serious player -- defined as "you play tournaments sometimes, because YOU want to" -- we'd really like to hear from you about your experiences.  Similarly, we're interested in the X-Wing experiences of other minorities or communities, such as the LGBTQ community.  You never know, we might ask you to come on the show and talk with us about your experiences!

Episode 24 of Wide World of Wargaming is available!  (I think at this point we have to concede that we're a PG-13 podcast.  We're not constantly cussing and swearing, but we don't seem to be able to completely go without the occasional strong language, so ... )

In this episode, Vince, Drew, and I comprehensively tackle the July 2019 points adjustment released by FFG.  We go through every change, but we give more attention to some things than others that only merit a mention.  Still, there were a lot of changes, and this is our longest episode yet.  In addition to just listing and discussing the changes, there are a few detours into our bafflement and disappointment at how FFG is using the points-change ability they've baked into 2E X-WIng.

We recorded this episode on June 25th, but Vince was unable to finish editing until Friday night, and I was unable to listen until yesterday.  (I've learned to listen before I write these little blurbs.)  Hopefully this kind of delay will be an anomaly.  On the other hand, with luck this episode can fuel a Monday or Tuesday commute!

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-24-of-course-we-hate-everything/

As always, we really want to hear from you: please comment, ask questions, or make suggestions, whether where you're reading this or at the Wide World of Wargaming Facebook.

Y-Ions ain't dead:

Gray Squadron Bomber (31)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Veteran Turret Gunner (8)

Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Crymorah Goon (31)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Crymorah Goon (31)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Crymorah Goon (31)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)

Crymorah Goon (31)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R4 Astromech (2)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

That's a good point, but I suspect Vince and Drew meant the 5-Y version.  Considering even the 5-Y wasn't tearing things up, I doubt we'll see the 4-Y version doing much competitively.  (But, to be honest, I never ran into Y-ons myself, ever, so I know very little about 'em.)

Episode 25 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is up!

Lacking any groundbreaking X-Wing news, Vince, Drew, and I discuss some lists we're either flying or want to fly, talk about what a "crutch" is in the context of miniatures games (and whether we should use that term at all), and finish up with some discussion about how we'd change the First Player and Bidding rule in X-Wing.

Fair warning ... as I listened to this one, I cringed a bit.  I'm never shy about speaking up, but in this episode I think I rudely crowded Vince and Drew out by talking way too much.  (Guys, I apologize.)  I really need to remember my listening skills better.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-25-a-general-discussion/

As always, we really want to hear comments, criticism, and suggestions from our small (but growing!) audience.  Please don't be timid about telling us what you like, don't like, would like us to talk about, or how we're right (or wrong!) in our opinions.  We genuinely care about what you think.

I agree about bids and think your solution is probably the easiest, but I couldn't help tinker with my own idea. What if any bid was awarded as points to your opponent up front? Might even help stalling tactics if you know your opponent has more points than you before you even start shooting.

17 hours ago, Krewal said:

I agree about bids and think your solution is probably the easiest, but I couldn't help tinker with my own idea. What if any bid was awarded as points to your opponent up front? Might even help stalling tactics if you know your opponent has more points than you before you even start shooting.

Personally, I think that's the second-best solution, yeah.  The problem I have with it is that "moving last with repositioning ships" is worth a lot of points.  Players will simply look for the points-value they can surrender while maintaining that huge advantage.  (In simpler terms, it doesn't matter if I give up 20 points to start, if giving up those 20 points means I win a huge percentage of games.")

I'll be very straightforward: I think the bid mechanic is simply bad for the game and shouldn't exist.  (I felt similarly about "flying one's opponent's ship off the board for dialing in a red maneuver while stressed" and that opinion was similarly unpopular.  And I think getting rid of bids will likewise happen.)

Thanks very much for listening and commenting!

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 26 is now available!

Still not a whole lot of news in X-Wing (this was recorded on 7/8/19, well before the Epic announcement), so Drew, Vince, and I talk about "those who were left behind" in the July points-change, with emphasis on Fangs, E-wings, and a few other ships. I continue being disappointed in how FFG is using the point-change mechanism -- not necessarily specific changes, just the way they're doing it unscientifically -- Vince goes on a specific rant about Corran Horn in comparison to Vader, and Drew continues to be the moderating influence that is Drew.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-2hma5-b79596?utm_campaign=au_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=au_share

As always, we appreciate your listening, and encourage you to comment, criticize, and ask us questions!

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 27 is available, and it's a particularly good one, I think.

In this one, we start out discussing our local(-ish) Hyperspace Trial in Mountain View, in which all three of us competed.  (In my case, I use the word very loosely.)  We pivot to the Jacksonville HST, which has a remarkable performance by Sinker Swarms (and an even more remarkable route to finishing 1-2-3), which leads into a talk of pace of play.  I do my best to hold off a tag-teaming Vince and Drew who are advocating for chess-type clocks in X-Wing.  Let us know what you think!

We drag ourselves out of the pace of play talk to discuss the Bellevue HST for a bit, which had five -- five! -- identical RAC-Vader lists!  ( ... Wut?)

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-x3nsy-b87eac?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

As always, and read this with as much sincerity as you can: we want to hear from you.  Critcism, comments, suggestions, and questions ... share them with us!

If you're grabbing us on iTunes (or even if not?), Vince would really, really appreciate an iTunes rating.

I really appreciated Vince's more outside perspective and experience from other games. I've seen the suggestion (from TVboy) that the clock should only be used during planning, which would already help. Of course slow play with thinking about (unnecessary) actions remains. But it would be a start that neutralizes many downsides.

Another question: why is Kylo not an ace?

8 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I really appreciated Vince's more outside perspective and experience from other games. I've seen the suggestion (from TVboy) that the clock should only be used during planning, which would already help. Of course slow play with thinking about (unnecessary) actions remains. But it would be a start that neutralizes many downsides.

Yeah, Vince's perspective there is helpful, although it often leaves me a little lost in the discussion ... which is not necessarily a bad thing.  God knows I should shut up and listen more.  (My only other competitive miniatures game was Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures, which had a very different community and set of balance issues.  I also love Wings of Glory, but that's not a competitive game.  Drew lies on the spectrum between Vince and me.)

I think -- logistics aside (like who provides the clocks?) -- that a Planning clock combined with a minimum number of turns is a good starting point to working out a solution.  I personally think the game would be better with a higher minimum than the eight Vince suggested; I think fewer than 10 turns should trigger a look at the clocks, and if there's more than, I dunno, a five-minute disparity the slower player gets the loss.  Otherwise it's a draw.

Another question: why is Kylo not an ace?

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question.  Are you asking why Vince doesn't seem to think Kylo's an ace?  Or something else?  (For the record, I would consider Kylo and Blackout both aces.)  If you clarify what you mean, I'll see if I can get an answer for you.

As always, thanks (very sincerely) for listening.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

23 minutes ago, Arschbombe said:

Afraid to listen.  Afraid you won't sound like Dr. Cottle and my understanding of the universe will become unraveled.

If you'll give us a listen and report back, the next time we record I'll forgo my usual Vader quote to start the show and do my impression of Cottle: " ... Cancer!"

(Otherwise, no, I unfortunately don't sound like Cottle.)

Pace of play is a tough one. Perhaps you aren't allowed to pick a dial up once it is "set". Or maybe a combination of time and minimum turns. After 75 min. see how many turns have been played if it's under 9 give the option of playing more turns but force stricter limits on dial setting and ship moving, both players may be satisfied with only 6 turns.

1 hour ago, Krewal said:

Pace of play is a tough one. Perhaps you aren't allowed to pick a dial up once it is "set".

Counter-intuitively, this actually slows a game down, not speeds it up.  Same thing with those players who think "verbal declarations are binding."  (They aren't; nothing is binding until the game-state changes.)  You really, really wanna see a game slow to a crawl, make sure everybody absolutely must be 100% -- perfectly -- sure of everything before saying or doing anything.

I do think a combination of time and minimum turns is the best possibility of a lot of non-perfect possibilities.  The absolute best possibility is that TOs make it very clear they will use their discretion to enforce pace of play.  Once the community absorbed that monumental change -- really absorbed it -- the problem would all but disappear.  Unfortunately, as X-Wing gets more and more and more cliquish and passive aggressive, the window for that solution gets smaller and smaller.

Thanks immensely for listening and commenting.  It's important to us, and we appreciate it.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

14 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question.  Are you asking why Vince doesn't seem to think Kylo's an ace?  Or something else?  (For the record, I would consider Kylo and Blackout both aces.)  If you clarify what you mean, I'll see if I can get an answer for you.

It was about the discussion for that one HST (Florida?) where the Sinker swarms apparently kept dodging aces. But it's not important at all, I was just wondering.

8 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

It was about the discussion for that one HST (Florida?) where the Sinker swarms apparently kept dodging aces. But it's not important at all, I was just wondering.

Ah, right.  (There was also a list with Wedge.)  We weren't explicit about it, but we were talking about ace lists ... lists where most or all of the ships were capable of arc-dodging, so single ace-repositioners, or just plain high-Init, wasn't what we were looking at.  The context was my contention that Sinker Swarms would -- should? -- have a hard time against true ace-lists.  Something like Resistance 5s, or Vader-Fell-Duchess, or Anakin-Ric-Mace.  Stuff like that.

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 28 is available for your listening pleasure.

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-28-four-peas-pods/

This one is special, because we have a guest from SoCal: Steven Gonzales.  He's a good squadbuilder, a good player, and one of the friendliest people I've ever met while playing this game.  (In fact, honestly, our own Drew might be his only rival.)  We talk with Steven about his list and performance on Gold Squadron's Flight Club, spotlighting SoCal's Fly Better Podcast.

Steven also contributes his even-keeled insights into three Hyperspace Trials we cover, meaning that Drew's reasonableness is finally on fair ground against me and Vince just being opinionated buttheads.

We have a special request this week for you, our listeners: if you enjoy listening, please point us out to two or three of your friends.  You don't need to RECOMMEND us -- we would never put you in that untenable position! -- but just point at us (and laugh, we're used to it).

As always, please comment, make suggestions, and ask questions, where you're reading this or on the WWW Facebook page.  If we see it, we will respond!  And thank you so much for listening!

Edited by Jeff Wilder

Episode 29 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is available!

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-29-ive-got-a-very-bad-feeling/

This is an excellent workhorse episode, IMO.  Vince leads Drew and me in a discussion about the Paris tournament, and a couple of smaller tournaments, discussing several lists that did well that we haven't seen a whole lot, which is kinda exciting in its own way.  We also discussed some of the announced releases for Wave VI and accessories.   We recorded this just before GenCon proper, and although it was after the Floor Rules dropped, we didn't get into those yet, wanting to give the topic more space.  Look for those subjects in our next episode, recording tonight!

As always, we're asking you for two things: (1) Don't hesitate to comment, make suggestions, ask questions, and offer criticism, here where you're reading this, or on the WWW Facebook page.  Vince in particular would love a rating on the iTunes page!  (2) Point us out to a couple of your X-Wing friends!  We love doing this, and hopefully you can tell from listening, and we want to share our love for 2E X-Wing with as many players as we can.

Thanks for the shout out!
To add a bit on the UUUU:

1. Heff is only there for the selfless, as no other (affordable) U can take it. Scrambler goes with Jyn to protect all the others, as it's the least valuable ship. Not necessarily by points, the Leia carrier is 1pt less, but by task in the squad. And Jyn is the first upgrade to go if necessary - not scrambler, even if it sounds weird
  2. The list was put together by the guy who went nr1 in swiss at the Bologna SOS (and then kinda overslept the cut...). He and Lukas live in the same city and play at the same store