Jeff Wilder

Podcast - Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing)

Folks, if you have time for and interest in another podcast, take a listen to Wide World of Wargaming, which has some Bay Area personalities.

The show covers 40K, Age of Sigmar, and X-Wing (all segments discrete and clearly time-stamped), and I've sat in as a guest analyst for X-Wing on Eps 2 and 3. (I only have a $15 USB mic, personally, so don't hold my lo-fi audio against WWW!) I'll let the other Bay Area X-Wing personalities be a surprise for you on first listen:

The link is to podbean, but it's also on iTunes! Give them some support!

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/

Edited by Jeff Wilder

Episode 3 is up on Podbean and iTunes.  The X-Wing segment starts at 1:45.  Pretty decent show, I think!

I was asked to sit in as an analyst until the founding host returns, and I've happily agreed, so if you've ever wondered what an argumentative pedant sounds like -- and Sable Gryphon ain't available -- here you go.

We're very happy to accept comment and criticism, so don't hold back.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-reg8f-a5aaf5?fbclid=IwAR3hpNmX81ccC7y1_HIsFtYh2133zQeB-BhIE4BNLVVdU3RVu54haW4bbVA

Edited by Jeff Wilder

Wide World of Wargaming episodes 7 is out, and 8 is on the way. I wasn't able to participate in 7, due to being busy losing all my money in Las Vegas, but Drew and Vince put together a great X-Wing segment! (Once episode 8 drops, you get the fun of listening to me being sick and a little feverish!)  Segments are clearly time-stamped, so I hope you X-Wing fans will give a listen ... and if you're a WH40K or Age of Sigmar player, you get the bonus of the other segments being worth a listen, too!

Here's the Podbean link, and it's also on iTunes.

So, episode 8...

...do you pay that guy to be that horribly wrong about X-Wing, generics and swarms? Like is it his job to be the contrarian on the show? :P

Especially how he continues to compare things to WH40k (even though X-Wing and 40k are completely different styles of tabletop game with little crossover*), and then states that you can't use Lore as a reason to impact rules or game design, ignoring the fact that Space Marine troops are superior to Imperial Guard troops in almost every way because that's how they are in the lore...

*You can compare WH40k and Warmahordes, or Legion, or you can compare X-Wing and Attack Wing, or Wings of War, but those are two completely different categories of games and while a Force Allowance works as a balance tool in WMH or WH40k, it doesn't work the same in X-Wing.

And his spiel about Inferno Squad and there being nothing like it? Had you guys seen any of the Republic/CIS spoilers at that point yet and the synergy between the Clone Troopers and Jedi or how the Droid ships feed off each other? Also, "its not winning tournaments, or overpowered but its bad for the game because there is nothing else like it?"

WTF?

Edited by kris40k

All great comments, Kris.  Unfortunately, I'm in zero position to take issue with his WH40K comparisons, as I have never played the game or read any rules.

FWIW, Vince would love reading your disagreement with him, so I'm gonna make sure he sees this.

As you noticed, regarding the last part, I have no issue with taking him on when he says stuff I considered to be misguided, wrong, or internally inconsistent.  To Vince's credit, my willingness to do that is why he recruited me to the show!  I can say that I genuinely respect how well he handles me disagreeing with him, because (as I know you've seen), I'm not the most tactful of dissenters.

Thanks for giving us at least one listen.  Very, very sincerely.

At that said, episode 11 is up, and it includes a significant rant from me about prevailing views of dice variance (and dice-bitchin') ... and how I disagree with them, at least in how most podcasts are stating their cases.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-dfnty-ac4efc?fbclid=IwAR1baBMUc-eVY0k1OJs04ALWrAEokmbUoZrWuVfBIORL_nrGHQq4MgLVxqs

I've binged the podcast end of last week, just listening to the X-wing segments. Here are my thoughts, even though they are definitely influenced by listening to the episodes back to back:

Jeff and Drew are great! Honestly, they are both insightful and pleasant to listen to. Elder statesman and prodigy is spot on, in the most positive sense.
The timestamps are good, and splitting the episodes into different files is a great idea. The length at roughly an hour or a bit below is great and surprisingly enough not common in podcasts.

Vincent however... I don't think it's fair for me to be overly critical, as I'm writing from behind a pseudonym as consumer while he puts himself out there with both name and content. So I will try to find an appropriate mix between being honest, direct, and fair.
It reminds me a bit of listening to the Mynocks back in the day. For the first episodes I was just not interested in hearing what Ryan had to say. Over time, I started to like him for (instead of despite) the goofiness he had added back then. By now he's my favorite podcaster and I respect his opinion a lot.
On this podcast, I found Vince's borderline-hubris to be annoying. It sounded like unwarranted overconfidence to me, especially with him talking to two guys who really know what they are doing!
So in short, he came off as too strong at first. But as I kept listening, I realized two things. First, he readily admits when he was wrong about something - a trait that I appreciate a lot. Second, his demeanor did not change at all after doing well in a Hyperspace Trial that was his first proper tournament (Top4 out of 58!). I think that is refreshing and noteworthy because some people think the validity of their opinion depends on their tournament results - a notion that is as understandable as it is IMO wrong. It looks like he doesn't and that - to me - tones down the hubris I thought I had heared at first.

So in the end, you guys have definitively earned yourself another listener!

(The TIE fighter vs YYYYY discussion was too much though and strongly contributed to the critical parts above, maybe too much.)

I won't comment on roommate parties or trash problems in the back as I'm sure all three hosts know that it's not ideal.
And by the way Jeff, I completely agree with you on the importance of variance, unlucky dice and complaining about them in episode 11. My only comment would be that I don't trust everyone on correctly identifying all rare events of a game instead of just the ones hurting, and so I never know how much value to put on it.

Wide World of Wargaming's X-Wing segment, episode 12, is up.  I haven't finished listening to it, so as to deepen my disgust for my own voice and mannerisms, but so far it's a pretty good show, I think.  (Vince named it "The Phantom Pain," which is perfect.)

Trying to be as objective as I can, one of the things I really like about the show is that we're not laser-focused, which means we often leave some stuff on the table, but Vince keeps things loose enough -- and edits well enough -- that we do some pretty decent opinionatin' in typically an hour or so.

Oh, and the three WWW segments are actually split out now, so no need to worry about time-stamps.  I mean, unless you want to find and mark me and Drew's butt-plug joke, which, I dunno, maybe?

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-w92jn-ad204c

Episode 14 of Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) is up! We discuss the San Francisco Hyperspace Trial -- with quite a bit on my mediocre performance -- and Wave 5!

Please do leave comments, suggestions, and questions!  Vince, Drew, and I want to give you a conversational, strategic podcast that slots into an hour or so of your life!

Wide World of Wargaming is up to episode 15, which is out now.

This week, we have a guest, Bay Area tournament organizer, player, and general all-around good guy, Rick Ruddell of the Militant Casuals.  We talk about three different Hyperspace Trials results, and of course Drew drowns us in memes, many of which I don't get, because I'm old and grizzled.  (But, you know, "What is dead can never die ... ")

As always, we are genuinely interested in hearing from you, whether it's compliments, suggestions, questions, or (my genuinely favorite) constructive criticism.  All of y'all know you can reach me here, but you can also reach us on the Wide World of Wargaming Facebook page!  Help us make an X-Wing podcast that can keep you interested and listening!

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-15/

Also on iTunes!

Edited by Jeff Wilder

Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 16 is up.  In addition to a lot of discussion about the Denver System Open, we have Dan Morriss, from the beloved (currently defunct or -- dare we hope -- just on hiatus?) Trinity Squad Gaming!

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-16-my-name-is-still-trinity/

Also available on iTunes!

Questions, comments, criticism!  Bring it!  (Not a challenge.  Seriously asking!  Bring it!)

Happy Saturday, beautiful people.  Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 17 is up.  We welcome Drew back as we dive into several Hyperspace Trials, and have a mostly amicable discussion about whether Darth Vader is too cheap.

As always, we genuinely want to hear your suggestions, comments, and questions!  I'll see 'em if you leave them here, and there's a really good chance they'll be brought up on the show.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-n6bck-b0db82

Also available on iTunes!

Sorry for the slightly late notice, but Wide World of Wargaming (X-Wing) episode 18 is up, and IMO it's a pretty good one.  As usual, we're examining some tournament results and doing some good-natured bickering.  (In particular, Vince and Drew try to convince me of the value of Gold Squadron V-19s and of Composure on Jake.)

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-6xnsk-b19a68

You can also find the episode on iTunes, and I can't express how happy it would make Vince if we got some iTunes reviews!

Finally, Like and keep an eye on the Wide World of Wargaming Facebook page.  Plans are tenative right now, but I think we're inching toward offering a guest appearance on the show to folks who best respond (obviously, in our subjective opinions) to questions posted on the page (hopefully soon!) ... so Like now, and look for upcoming questions!

https://www.facebook.com/WideWorldGaming/

1 hour ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Composure on Jake

I enjoyed the episode, but that specifically had me chuckle. I think composure on Jake is amazing. I had tried that before wave 2 was released, when composure found another home with Temmin.

So far Sabine, Jake and Temmin are the only reasonable carriers - but I'd say they are quite reasonable!

Good Evening all, this is Vince the host of our fine production making sure the thread stays updated while Jeff is enjoying his birthday!

Episode 19 is live for your enjoyment, and it gets spicy on more than one occasion!

https://wwwargaming.podbean.com/e/wide-world-of-wargaming-x-wing-episode-19-stagnation-breeds-madness/

As always, feedback/ questions/ suggestions welcome!