Kauperwood

I am Creating Descent items Expansion.Share your ideas!

Hello everyone.

I've always wanted to create a massive amount of new items for the purpose of diversity, and now I am making it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPD:

Now,thanks to Sadgit and his advices I am making print ready cards.Just download any card you want and order the print from PrinterStudio right here:
https://www.printerstudio.com/personalized/mini-european-playing-cards.html
Notice,that Descent cards are 41x63mm, so you will have to do a little bit of manual cuting.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyone can toss in an idea for a new item,its stats,and perhaps some art text.
I am planning to create 200+ items so your help will be appreciated.

Seriously,I would love to see your ideas ^_^

You can also help me with integrating new rules that are below into the game and by fixing my language issues.

Rules:
Version 1.3

1. X on one Blue Die = Blank; X on all of them = Miss  [This rule applies when there are 2 or more blue dice in the throwing pool]

2. If there are no surges on any dice (skills that add surges doesn't count,but additional dice do.) after throw the attack is a miss. [This rule applies when there is no Blue dice in the throwing pool]

3. Items and skills that grant you the ability to reroll,change and consider X as a blank work on JUST one blue die in any case.If there are no blue dice in the pool you have to apply this ability to the weakest ONE die present in the pool.

^^^[Red > Yellow > Green]^^^

3.1 When you have to consider X as a blank, do this to the die with the strongest result.(Which has more Hearts and Surges.If there 2 dice with the same result you can choose any die between these.)

I know you dont want new rules,but these are simple.Trust me.

UPD: Okay,I will try to make these less complex, but a little bit later.Its just a raw concept of what such rules might be.Suggestions are welcome :)

Update log: Removed special scenario for Red + Yellow dice combination.Removed  Red + Green combo from rule 3.Added removed combos to the rule 2.Removed special scenario for Red only.Added Red only combo to the rule 2.

UPD: I am planning to make another version of rules in the near future,so you would have a choice between them.

Items Created: 20

Days spent: 11

Act I items:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/144820386@N04/albums/72157704804805901

Act II items:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/144820386@N04/albums/72157706222367605

All of them:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144820386@N04/albums/72157678231407788

BootsOfLevitation.png

Edited by Kauperwood

Thanks for posting these. The art that you use is top notch. May I ask where you got these from?
Some specific comments:

• Are these act 1 or 2 items?
  • Ring of Health and Regeneration: "On a previous turn" needs to be specified as it could ne interpreted as "any of your previous turns in this encounter". "Received" should be replaced by "suffered"
  • Peacekeeper: "You cannot be Terrified" is standard language here.

I am currently developing a community driven expansion that will have roughly the contents of a official mini expansion. We have most of the stuff completed and are doing play-tests at the moment. I wonder if you would be interested in joining this project and provide some item cards to be added to the expansion.
Could you explain your reasons for adding the new rather complex rules for weapons?

I‘m also curious about your proposed attack rules- it seems you’re trying to keep the ability to miss. Is that right?

Here‘s a few ideas I had but never went anywhere because I lost patience with photoshop. Let me know if you want to use them.

Travelling Staff

Act I, 100 gold. Two handed melee weapon.

Blue-red. When you perform a move action, gain 1 additional movement point.

Exhaust this card after rolling defense dice to add 1 shield to the results.

Spirit Charm

Act 1, 125 gold. Other.

Suffer 2 fatigue to exhaust this card and choose a hero within 2 spaces of you who is not knocked out. That hero recovers 1 damage.

The "not knocked out“ clause is to prevent a non-healer reviving a hero without using an action.

Edit: @Kauperwood very nice photoshop work, by the way. 

Edited by Lightningclaw

I would also think that the new rules are to allow misses to occur when you're not using the standard 'one attack plus some power dice' combination...

Changing up the dice is an interesting variation mechanic, but that's way too many different 'miss' scenarios... I think you need to simplify the additional 'miss' requirements to ideally one, max two cases, and if that means limiting the choice of new dice combinations that you use then so be it... You can always let some weaker 'always hit' combinations go through, like Rat Swarms currently have...

Also I wouldn't bother compensating for the 'reroll Xs' or 'treat X as blank' skills - if you're not rolling a blue die, those skills have no effect - suck it up :D

1 hour ago, Lightningclaw said:

Travelling Staff

This is essentially a melee version of the Ironbound rune, but with the additional movement point affect as well, and yet it's 75 gold cheaper?! This is a very powerful Act 1 weapon and would definitely need to cost more...

1 hour ago, Lightningclaw said:

Spirit Charm

Act 1, 125 gold. Other.

Suffer 2 fatigue to exhaust this card and choose a hero within 2 spaces of you who is not knocked out. That hero recovers 1 damage.

The "not knocked out“ clause is to prevent a non-healer reviving a hero without using an action.

Suffer 2 fatigue to heal someone one heart and it can't even be used to revive? I can't see anybody ever using that, let alone paying 125 gold for it...

7 hours ago, Lightningclaw said:

I‘m also curious about your proposed attack rules- it seems you’re trying to keep the ability to miss. Is that right?

Here‘s a few ideas I had but never went anywhere because I lost patience with photoshop. Let me know if you want to use them.

Travelling Staff

Spirit Charm

Act 1, 125 gold. Other.

Edit: @Kauperwood very nice photoshop work, by the way. 

Yes,I do want to keep the ability to miss.
I am really grateful for your ideas and I actually will implement them pretty soon with some minor tweaks.

Hey,thank you.I am doing my best and improving my skills over time ^_^

13 hours ago, Sadgit said:

Thanks for posting these. The art that you use is top notch. May I ask where you got these from?
Some specific comments:

• Are these act 1 or 2 items?
  • Ring of Health and Regeneration: "On a previous turn" needs to be specified as it could ne interpreted as "any of your previous turns in this encounter". "Received" should be replaced by "suffered"
  • Peacekeeper: "You cannot be Terrified" is standard language here.

I am currently developing a community driven expansion that will have roughly the contents of a official mini expansion. We have most of the stuff completed and are doing play-tests at the moment. I wonder if you would be interested in joining this project and provide some item cards to be added to the expansion.
Could you explain your reasons for adding the new rather complex rules for weapons?

1. Just searched for a specific item on the internet,chose a picture and edited it.That's all.

2. Created separated albums for different Acts.Links provided.

3. Changed them,are they good now ?

4. Changed that.Thank you :)

5. I've seen your posts about this expansion and would love to see that on my table in the future.

6. I would want to see your new conditions (Their Fronts and Backs) so I can create new items that will utilize them.

7. I want to add more dice variations and also keep the ability to miss.These rules are just a raw concept and will be improved in the future.

8. I am interested,but I cant see how I can contribute to the project that already being play-tested
Thanks you for your specific comments,they were very helpful ^_^

9. Which resolution for card image is the best ?

10. How do I make it PrintReady ?

Edited by Kauperwood

11 hours ago, Xyphistor said:

-snip- 

This is essentially a melee version of the Ironbound rune, but with the additional movement point affect as well, and yet it's 75 gold cheaper?! This is a very powerful Act 1 weapon and would definitely need to cost more...

Suffer 2 fatigue to heal someone one heart and it can't even be used to revive? I can't see anybody ever using that, let alone paying 125 gold for it...

You have good points. My reasoning behind the staff‘s price was it does less damage than every other act I melee weapon, Iron Spear aside. (Poor thing). I‘d probably increase the price to 125. That‘s the bracket with the Trident, Halberd, and Bone Blade, which do more damage, reach, movement point gain, etc.

Edit: The first part could instead read "Exhaust this card during your turn to gain 1 movement point."

That adds tension between the two abilities, which creates a much more interesting item I think.

Thanks for the feedback! Perhaps I need to see if I can figure out Photoshop.

Edited by Lightningclaw

These look really great. One small suggestion:

You could add expansion icons to the items. This would make it easier to sort out the ones, which you can't use due to a missing expansion.

Examples:

Latari Katana: LoR / TT / SoN icons (due to the green dice)

Peacekeeper: MoB / TctR icons (due to the terrified condition)

Black Iron Hook: SoN icon (due to the bleed condition)