Sign in to follow this  
ImperialAce95

New Flechette Weapons = Strain?

New token, perhaps new weapons to inflict them. I didn't think the 1.0 versions of Flechette cannons & Torps would work for 2.0, but this new token might be why FFG didn't immediately convert them. Treacherous sounds pretty cool for the Separatists, but I don't want inflicting strain to be faction locked (plus, the Seps have enough faction-specific weapons). Seems most likely that strain works similar to stress, a ship needs only 1 to be "strained". How about:

Flechette Cannon - Front Arc,  Range 1-2,  3 dice,  6 pts(?)

Attack: If this attack hits, the defender suffers 1 damage and, if the defender is not strained, receives 1 strain token. Then, cancel all results.

Flechette Torpedoes - Front Arc,  Range 2-3,  3 dice,  2 charges,  5 pts(?)

Attack(Lock):  If this attack hits, the defender suffers 1 damage and, if the defender is not strained, receives 1 strain token. Then, cancel all results.

Discuss.

Edited by ImperialAce95

Cool idea! I could see that being a thing. 

I wonder if the weapon could assign a strain token if the ship is not strained, independent of the attack hitting (so basically as long as you have a shot, you can strain someone). Or maybe that would be too strong of an effect.

Strain goes away after one attack.

Unless it's going to proc some really good effect, just doing one extra damage is way, way better than reducing agility by one for one attack. The former is an entire point of damage, the latter is an entire point of damage but only the limited percentage of the time that dice would've rolled something useful.

3 hours ago, svelok said:

Strain goes away after one attack.

Unless it's going to proc some really good effect, just doing one extra damage is way, way better than reducing agility by one for one attack. The former is an entire point of damage, the latter is an entire point of damage but only the limited percentage of the time that dice would've rolled something useful.

I agree in principle, but then there’s a little voice in the back of my head that says ‘swarm tactics a generic with this up to I5/I6 and it’s like outmaneuver without having to try...’

59 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

I agree in principle, but then there’s a little voice in the back of my head that says ‘swarm tactics a generic with this up to I5/I6 and it’s like outmaneuver without having to try...’

Same base effect as tractor tokens but unlike those strain tokens only stick around until the next attack against them. Swarm Tactics up a tractor beam sometime.

Right now we have in addition to stress and target locked, we have tractor (-1 agility) jam (removes green token), weapons disabled. Each one of those tokens is disabling and as for the permanent ones (stress target lock) can be fatal. Not to mention conditions often have a lasting and often times negative effect.

As for flechette that has always been a stress weapon in the same way Ion canons give out ion tokens. So I don't see a need to make a whole new token, and definitely not needed to tie it to flechette weapons. 

26 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Right now we have in addition to stress and target locked, we have tractor (-1 agility) jam (removes green token), weapons disabled. Each one of those tokens is disabling and as for the permanent ones (stress target lock) can be fatal. Not to mention conditions often have a lasting and often times negative effect.

As for flechette that has always been a stress weapon in the same way Ion canons give out ion tokens. So I don't see a need to make a whole new token, and definitely not needed to tie it to flechette weapons. 

The "whole new token" is being released with the Wave 3 Squadron Packs and Republic ARC-170.

7 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Same base effect as tractor tokens but unlike those strain tokens only stick around until the next attack against them. Swarm Tactics up a tractor beam sometime.

An excellent point. And those feel overpriced at 3 points.