Boom Owl

TIE Reaper

Using it in hyperspace has been fun for different reasons because I end up having to make the ship itself work on its own merits, rather than stapling the 1 obvious crew to it every time ( Sloane ). 

It takes damage quickly but it kinda should at its price point and stat line. The Evade action and a Hull Upgrade help considerably ( so does just using Captain Fair). I rarely feel like its unable to trade. 

Other random aside that I am not the first to notice is that any time Vermiel is on the table people seem to go blind and try to destroy him at all costs. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Hey nice writeup! I've been flying the Reaper a lot due to Hyperspace - mostly Fairoph with Tactical Officer to stay alive and support Vader and whatever I do with those other 50-ish points.

Looking back on games, I've definitely seen the times where I needed to use the red coordinate to slow down but I couldn't figure it out at the time - which is one of the harder parts of this ship IMO - it requires thinking at least one additional move in advance. 

There are plenty of games where  everything happens after my Reaper moves, which is fine by me, but when that doesn't happen, it gets even crazier because I'm intentionally trying to set up and dial in maneuvers that work with multiple pre-move boosts so that I can use my game state knowledge upon dial reveal to my advantage. 

And yeah, the self-bump is a very effective strategy. 

Since I'm using Fairoph as a support mostly, I sort of do strafing runs (which is my fancy way of saying I pretty much joust everything). I usually use him to stay within range 2 of the aces and give them action economy to arc-dodge while serving as the bait to pull enemies away from the aces, and then run away real fast, then turn around and do it again. Of course in some particularly jousty matchups the Reaper instead fakes a joust and then 1-bank-boost-3-banks to do a 5-turn and is gone.

14 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I usually use him to stay within range 2 of the aces and give them action economy to arc-dodge while serving as the bait to pull enemies away from the aces, and then run away real fast, then turn around and do it again. Of course in some particularly jousty matchups the Reaper instead fakes a joust and then 1-bank-boost-3-banks to do a 5-turn and is gone.

I really need to give Vizier some more game time for the reasons you describe there. Its interesting having a coordinate ship that doesn't feel like its strictly moving in formation. 

My game time with the Reaper lately has been almost entirely variations on the following when I want to practice some Aces.

Swapping out some upgrades (usually prockets) and swapping in Countdown or a deeper Bid from time to time. 

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced x1 70
Supernatural Reflexes 12
Proton Rockets 7
Afterburners 8
Ship Total: 97
Half Points: 49 Threshold: 3

“Duchess” — TIE/sk Striker 42
Lone Wolf 4
Ship Total: 46
Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Major Vermeil — TIE Reaper 49
Juke 4
Hull Upgrade 3
Ship Total: 56
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 5

And this when I want to practice Named Strikers which after so much time with Sloane Whisper + 4 Strikers is alot more challenging to use:

Major Vermeil — TIE Reaper 49
Death Troopers 6
Ship Total: 55
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 4

“Duchess” — TIE/sk Striker 42
Lone Wolf 4
Ship Total: 46
Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

“Countdown” — TIE/sk Striker 44
Hull Upgrade 5
Ship Total: 49
Half Points: 25 Threshold: 3

“Pure Sabacc” — TIE/sk Striker 44
Shield Upgrade 6
Ship Total: 50
Half Points: 25 Threshold: 3

Edited by Boom Owl

Yeah, I always feel like there's this little game I'm playing with coordinate of having things just barely within range 2 of the coordinate carrier. If things get any closer together, I'm underutilizing my squad and losing the little game. 

I'm bad at not putting myself too close to rocks so I put Collision Detector on Vader and I'm also stubborn so I keep flying Maarek, and thus I have a less expensive Reaper than your first list. Dutchess or 2 TIE Fighters do seem like the best options for "other stuff besides Vader/Reaper" though. 

I keep going back to lists that let the Reaper just be "free" and occupy its own space or flanks. Not necessarily using it as a flanker. Just letting it do its thing It kind of doesnt want to be in formation to since there are certain Rock setups that already force pretty significant areas of the board to be no fly zones ( despite AA allowing movement over rocks in spots ). Usually end up playing like it is its own "ace" or using Feroph as this crazy control piece to shutdown stressed things. The coordinate range is just wide enough that using the action doesnt completely conflict with all that. 

Also side note but its maybe one of the best blockers when moving after a Range 3 engage etc. It can get in so many of your opponents ships way on demand. Especially if Vader has Sense.

Edited by Boom Owl

2 hours ago, Rossetti1828 said:

Tactical Jammer for use as a blocker? Seems worth it if it comes in to play once or twice. I'll try it one day.

Not currently available in Hyperspace. I do kinda want to run an Intimidation Death Trooper Feroph though.

10 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

1 Bank AA + 1 Bank Movement is basically a 4 hard turn 

You do this maneuver quite a bit with the reaper. Adaptive ailerons + medium base + restricted dial + cool actions makes for an interesting ship. If anyone actually owned enough of them, a list with 4 and ISB slicer is legitimately terrifying. I've been flying one in my only hyperspace list. Some notes.

1. All the pilots are usable depending on your list
  2. Selectively self stressing with co-ordinate and full-stop is EXTREMELY important to flying this thing well. (surprisingly I've found that tactical officer is not required)
  3. I've even purposely dialed in a red-maneuver while stressed to KEEP the stress for next round. (dial doesn't have white 2-straight)
  4. The board edge is not your friend. Ailerons into a sloop off the board is easy to do.
  5. This thing is scary fast. In 2e, positioning matters, so speed is always good
  6. Jam is the least used action, but it is of course useful to have
  7. As others have said, using its speed as a flanker is quite a good battle plan (otherwise it can easily crash into everything)

2 hours ago, Dengar5 said:

Selectively self stressing with co-ordinate and full-stop is EXTREMELY important to flying this thing well. (surprisingly I've found that tactical officer is not required)

In my view this is the biggest key to unlocking this ship. However you can't be too judicious with it, as it makes you predictable the next turn, and you can't hard turn. 

I also echo @Boom Owl sentiment about vermeil, people hate him! Extended him with Kallus hits like a truck. 

Thx. This was very insightfull also the movement samples. I'm currently experimenting with Vermeil and the int 4 strikers and see what I can 'bold on' for the other points. Init 4 in order to stay in formation but tbh that is a realy challenge particularly if you stick on other ships, nice puzzle. Looking at this Vizier is probably also fitting for what I'm interested in flying.

Do I understand it correctly that if you have the tactical officer on the ship you can still opt to use the red coordinate?

26 minutes ago, C3gorach said:

Quick stupid question about Death Troopers:

Does an enemy ship needs to: a)start, c)end, d)either, in range 0-1 of the Death Troopers?

The enemy ship needs to be at range 0-1 when it tries to remove stress. In the case of a blue maneuver, check pilot stress happens after the physical movement of the ship, so end. In the case of an ability like Cassian, when the ability happens. And 4-Lom ignores them, since he triggers in the end phase, and Death Troopers only affects activation phase.

It would have to end in range 0-1 of them, as the check difficulty step (where you remove/add stress) occurs after movement.

Shuts down Nien BS as well by the look of it....makes it an interesting meta call for sure. 4pts more than Tac Officer feels bad for an ace build though, cuts into your bid

+1 to all of the above, the Reaper is both fun and effective. Win/Win.

As a note on the Tac Officer, I agree it's not often needed but I'll always put it on if I don't have a better use of the 2pt, (I mostly don't). It just gives a lot more flexibility, even if I only use the white coord once in a game.

I find myself using the red coord to slow down on approach a fair bit but when space closes up, keeping options open- stop, sloop or huge 3 bank- makes a big difference.

It becomes an extremely predictable ship when stressed. Having the stop on the dial and Tac Officer on board means you have all the options as to when you apply that stress. As already said, timing the stress is absolutely key to flying this thing.

The other key thing is getting it to survive the 1st/2nd engagement. Once past that, I've found it can last a fair while as it's really difficult for the opponent to keep guns on it. I've had a number of games where it just carries on scooting about on 1 or 2 hull and being a pain.