Sign in to follow this  
Ken on Cape

Any good Star Wars novels for Legion?

1 hour ago, Empire On Ice said:

Good book but just didn't feel Star wars to me. It was as if it had been written as WH40k fiction and then they just kinda swapped the theme.

The problem is, I would think, that Star Wars books are written from the view of 1-5 central, really powerful characters.  Often strong in the force, or not conventional soldiers.  This book follows, the background characters, in the films.

Without making it about the heroes like Luke or Leia, it does a good job.   It is from the muggle point of view as it were.

As to @Ken on Cape asking for book that fits the mood for Legion, I can think of no better Star Wara example..  the story was all about the troopers in the trenches, not the Hero of Yavin, Smuggler and the Princess general..

From new cannon, Twilight Company is the best pick for "Legion-themed" reading, but there is some in Inferno Squadron as well. I didn't like the Aftermath trilogy much, but the second part (if i remember correctly) had a subplot on Wookie uprising on Khashyyyk, which was fun.

But should you fancy Imperials, I really recommend "Allegiance" by T. Zahn (c'mon, you can't go wrong with mr. Zahn!). Sure, it has both Luke and Mara Jade, but it also got some cool tactical tips on taking out an ATST and some cool speeder bikes strategies as well ;)

Allegiance and Choices of One both have good sections that deal with regular Stormtroopers.  Survivor's Quest also has a great focus on a small Stormtrooper team.  Zahn may love to deify Thrawn, but he does love keeping Stormtroopers competent. 

Good Star Wars ground combat books seem to have started with the original Clone Wars EU books.  The Republic Commando books are great for a focus on sneaky squirrel type units.  The MedStar books are good if you want Star Wars MASH, aka, somewhat comedic take on war from the viewpoint of the people who have to deal with its aftermath.  Jedi Trial had a decent and very unique take on SW ground combat, but it wasn't exactly well written.  Shatterpoint offers a few interesting views at ground combat and guerilla warfare. 

I hated both the Aftermath trilogy and the Inferno Squad book, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone.  ****, I put the Aftermath trilogy in a box for donation to Goodwill a couple of hours ago.  Inferno Squad was just... boring. 

Alpha17, I feel that ! Aftermath was written by a six year old with too much sugar in his system and Inferno Squad coulda been soooooooo good, but was boring.  The novel for Rogue One was also pretty good, super pumped for Alphabet Squadron ! Rogue Squadron is just simply fantastic and Twilight Company, just finished it for the fifth time. 

Twilight company is a real conundrum - either loved or hated it seems. It simply didn’t feel like SW for me, more like a generic sci-fi novel about squad combat (and if I remember, there really wasn’t that much action?). It’s definitely not of a similar style to the x wing series, which are far more action popcorn in style.

For something closer to the original trilogy, how about Lost Stars? I really struggled with the early part, but once you get into it it’s a great story in a parallel timeline to the original movies and cleverly interwoven into scenes from the movies.

Also a thumbs up from me for Allegiance, surprisingly good.

(ps. I tend to audiobook my SW fiction whilst painting, so my thoughts are based on listening rather than reading).

Edited by ellhaynes

The X-Wing novels also mix in a fair amount of ground combat and quite frankly some of those guys are barely less expendable than nameless Corps units. Wraith Squadron is a pretty even split on ground stuff as they are explicitly a spec ops force (I'd include Mercy Kill in this also, RIP Allston). Bacta War also has some insurgency stuff vs Stormies.