Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Crit Happens

Most under-rated cards?

Recommended Posts

What are some cards that don't really get the recognition they deserve? 

My favourite under-rated card right now is The Sting. I've seen people talk about how terrible it is, but it has won me far more games than I initially thought it would have. The first couple of games that I used it, I didn't quite understand the careful timing that it required, but once I figured out a strategy to make it work in my deck, it was a revelation.

 

What cards do you think deserve a second look?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mars doesn't get a lot of attention, but two John smyths and if your opponent can't board wipe you can end the game in a couple turns.  Mothergun helps counter them getting out creatures as well.  Its a bit of a glass canon, but can be deadly for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dpuck1998 said:

Mars doesn't get a lot of attention, but two John smyths and if your opponent can't board wipe you can end the game in a couple turns.  Mothergun helps counter them getting out creatures as well.  Its a bit of a glass canon, but can be deadly for sure.

Along these lines, all you ever hear is about how broken library access is. I think Battle Fleet is underrated...   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, msieder said:

Along these lines, all you ever hear is about how broken library access is. I think Battle Fleet is underrated...   

 

Definitely; I’m also a big fan of Treasure Map as a turn 1 play for 4 aember.

Customs House is pretty devastating to an artifact heavy deck as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I would love to figure out the intricacies of The Sting. That is a hard one to figure out and it is in two of my decks.

I'm a big fan of House Sanctum's Gatekeeper. There are so many other really good Sanctum knights that I think it gets overlooked.

I think Logos Dextre gets under-appreciated.

Untamed has Fertility Chant and I don't think it gets much appreciation.

Mars' EMP blast is under-rated I think.

Brobnar and Shadows are both harder to pick because their cards are fairly straight forward, but if I had to choose I'd say...

Brobnar - Sound the Horns.

Shadows - Dodger

Dis - I think the Dis Respect is real and not too many of their cards fly under the radar. Anytime you can play The Terror to full effect I get pretty happy, that's the closest I'd say to under-appreciated but I think someone who has Dis in their deck is fully appreciative of each card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

Doc Bookton - Not a high priority target and her 5 power helps keep her around. Drawing a card while reaping can be great.

Depends on if you would have just drawn it anyway in filling your hand up. Reaping to draw a card is only useful when you’re either playing 0 (and drawing 0) or the less than 1/3 chance you draw something from the same house and can play it immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derrault said:

Depends on if you would have just drawn it anyway in filling your hand up. Reaping to draw a card is only useful when you’re either playing 0 (and drawing 0) or the less than 1/3 chance you draw something from the same house and can play it immediately. 

Its always great to draw, you draw into another logos you can play right away and it is fantastic.  Otherwise, you just draw a card you would have anyway, but oh well. There is a chance that library access could be a dud as well if you draw into nothing you can play right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dpuck1998 said:

Its always great to draw, you draw into another logos you can play right away and it is fantastic.  Otherwise, you just draw a card you would have anyway, but oh well. There is a chance that library access could be a dud as well if you draw into nothing you can play right away.

Yes, literally what I Just said. It either did nothing (worse than any alternative effect) or in 1/3 cases it maybe did something (assuming you wanted to play/discard the card drawn). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes, back to the topic.  Playing today got some great interaction with Chaos Portal.  Another crap shoot, but if you are paying attention and keep track of your cards you can hit it fairly often. I went 3-4 today with calling the right house and getting our a free card.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

Take about 40% off there Squirrley Derrault. As long as everyone’s having a good time ain’t no reason to be a party pooper.

I’ll take drawing during the turn over the end of the turn every day of the week.

Squirrely? 😳

I was just saying it’s not always useful. Comparatively, archiving lets you move a non playable card out of your hand in order to draw something you otherwise couldn’t have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Derrault said:

Squirrely? 😳

I was just saying it’s not always useful. Comparatively, archiving lets you move a non playable card out of your hand in order to draw something you otherwise couldn’t have.

 

It was a play on the name "Squirrely Dan." Just an obscure TV show reference, wasn't meaning any harm.

So you're saying you'd prefer a Veylan Analyst to Doc Bookton? I can get behind that. I think a case could be made he's under appreciated.

And everyone thought we were off topic... ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like Key Abduction is a great card that gets overlooked often. It has a ton of great options for use. You can bounce all of your opponents Mars cards back to their hand forcing them to play them again. You can reorganized your battle line/heal Yixix Dominators and such. Pair it with a hunting witch and you can get some fast aember. Save all your small guys from the Ammonia Clouds or the EMP Blast you need to play. And then sometimes you get to forge a key. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, barabelsftw said:

I feel like Key Abduction is a great card that gets overlooked often. It has a ton of great options for use. You can bounce all of your opponents Mars cards back to their hand forcing them to play them again. You can reorganized your battle line/heal Yixix Dominators and such. Pair it with a hunting witch and you can get some fast aember. Save all your small guys from the Ammonia Clouds or the EMP Blast you need to play. And then sometimes you get to forge a key. 

Totally agree, it requires some timing and setup but it is very flexible even if you don't forget a key with it.  Get all those "Play" abilities out more than once too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 9:25 AM, Crit Happens said:

My favourite under-rated card right now is The Sting. I've seen people talk about how terrible it is, but it has won me far more games than I initially thought it would have. The first couple of games that I used it, I didn't quite understand the careful timing that it required

So do you drop it for one turn right when they are about to forge and pop it the next turn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Drakespirit said:

So do you drop it for one turn right when they are about to forge and pop it the next turn?

That. Or use lash to get 9 aember instead of 6. Bonus points is you use poltergeist to pop it on the Dis turn 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drakespirit said:

So do you drop it for one turn right when they are about to forge and pop it the next turn?

Yeah, that's essentially it. If your opponent has little or no Aember control available, it's pretty common to have two turns in a row that you can forge a key. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2019 at 10:25 PM, TheSpitfired said:

Take about 40% off there Squirrley Derrault. As long as everyone’s having a good time ain’t no reason to be a party pooper.

I’ll take drawing during the turn over the end of the turn every day of the week.

Letterkenney?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if it's actually underrated but I have found Shadow Self to be an incredible tool for board control. If the creatures you have next to it are also Fight: Gain/steal/capture creatures, it can extend their lives while allowing them to clear enemies and get their special benefits.

This is more of a combination but I think Troll is also a fun board control tool with Rocket Boots. If you also have ways to use him cross-house, eve better. Fight once against a smaller creature, reap, heal up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of cards that are great for taking AEmber from your opponent, and I think Interdimensional Graft doesn't get enough attention. On it's own, it's not great, but in conjunction with other Logos cards, it can be much better. Having a Titan Mechanic on the flank when IG resolves means you get an extra AEmber, which helps you with your reduced-cost Keys. Having capturing creatures like Dextre in play, which you can kill off on the same turn, means your opponent's captured AEmber goes to your pool. And if you have Dis or Shadows as another house, cards like Ghostly Hand or The Terror can follow up on your next turn.

Edit: It also interacts well with Key Hammer and Key Charge. For the former, someone who is about to forge their second key will unforge their first key, and give you the 6 AEmber. For the latter, IG can hit your opponent when they forge a key with Key Charge, so don't be afraid to throw it at your opponent if you think they might play it.

Edited by Whiz Canmaj
Forgot about two cards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...