Jump to content
Arkanta974

Power and Profit - Preview the Separatist Alliance Upgrade Cards

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

We don't have any info either way about what happens when you fly through them.  Take that as an implication that they do nothing, or don't.  It's not clear yet.

FFG hasn't explicitly said that they don't destroy any ship that passes through them, so logically that's the only possibility!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BDrafty said:

Otherwise, it's actually better to just LIVE in the cloud. You get a strain token (that goes away after you defend), but the attacks against you are obstructed, so that cancels out the strain token.

Another thing: CIS wants asteroids/debris because of their struts.

But they also want these clouds because 2 agility.

This makes for an all around interesting choice: is my squad of whatever faction better off by improving the general defense?

No if I have many attacks with 2 dice. Yes if I have overwhelming firepower but weak defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Another thing: CIS wants asteroids/debris because of their struts.

But they also want these clouds because 2 agility.

This makes for an all around interesting choice: is my squad of whatever faction better off by improving the general defense?

No if I have many attacks with 2 dice. Yes if I have overwhelming firepower but weak defense.

Maybe we'll see people start mixing their obstacles and taking two of one and one of another?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

Maybe we'll see people start mixing their obstacles and taking two of one and one of another?

5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Another thing: CIS wants asteroids/debris because of their struts.

But they also want these clouds because 2 agility.

I would also take the bet that FFG update the effect of Seismic Charges (remember that bomb cards only describe how to drop them, the rules themselves are digital) to only work on Debris/Asteroids.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, svelok said:

I would also take the bet that FFG update the effect of Seismic Charges (remember that bomb cards only describe how to drop them, the rules themselves are digital) to only work on Debris/Asteroids.

I really like them more and more. So far obstacle choice was largely irrelevant. This might actually change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soulless One plus Impervium is going tobe  monstrous. 7 total health, 5 of which is hull, the ability completely ignore the damage and effect of 2/3 of the crits twice, and finally the ability to reroll a defense dice when someone has you out maneuvered (my short hand for attacking you outside your arc). That may not be Defender level of tankiness but it's got to be close. Then add in treacherous with a swarm of Vultures... Finally, it's looking probable from the images that the Belbullab will be able to host those tactical relay upgrades. So you are going to be left with a choice, of going after the mass of Vultures that while weak will take awhile to chew through, or go after the super tanky command ship in whoever is piloting the Belbullab.

Edited by GeneralVryth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SpiderMana said:

The massive defensive bonus aside—any guesses as to negative effects of gas clouds? Is one strain enough of a downside to encourage avoiding these things?

A strain is not enough. The benefit of gaining the obstruction is too high to just get a strain. There has to be another downside whether you can't shoot while on it OR roll dice and potentially gain another negative token like an Ion token. I definitely like the idea of rolling for an Ion because then it hurts small ships more while medium to large ships have a harder time being obstructed from these medium-small sized gas clouds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

The massive defensive bonus aside—any guesses as to negative effects of gas clouds? Is one strain enough of a downside to encourage avoiding these things?

Part of me is thinking there may not be a downside at all. I could see them easily working like smokescreens encouraging people to fly through them with their defensive bonus to try and lose a tail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

The massive defensive bonus aside—any guesses as to negative effects of gas clouds? Is one strain enough of a downside to encourage avoiding these things?

🤨

14 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Where are people getting strain for flying through them from?

^ This. The effect of overlapping/moving through them has not been stated yet. Only the effect of being obstructed by them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GeneralVryth said:

Part of me is thinking there may not be a downside at all. I could see them easily working like smokescreens encouraging people to fly through them with their defensive bonus to try and lose a tail.

I'd honestly be quite interested in a purely beneficial obstacle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still a little bummed that we don't have Republic news, but these two articles on the CIS have done a good job at getting me interested. I figured that the droids would be unique, but I wasn't expecting to like their differences as much as I do. They probably haven't convinced me to buy into the Separatists yet, but I wouldn't mind trying out one or two of their lists once they come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Where are people getting strain for flying through them from?

 

19 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨

^ This. The effect of overlapping/moving through them has not been stated yet. Only the effect of being obstructed by them.

It is an assumption, yeah. I think it makes enough sense, but maybe not.

I‘m kindof wondering if you’ll lose an attack die while overlapping? It might be hard for enemy ships to see you, but if you’re in the middle of one of these things you’re not gonna see ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

 

It is an assumption, yeah. I think it makes enough sense, but maybe not.

I‘m kindof wondering if you’ll lose an attack die while overlapping? It might be hard for enemy ships to see you, but if you’re in the middle of one of these things you’re not gonna see ****.

We'll see. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

I‘m kindof wondering if you’ll lose an attack die while overlapping? It might be hard for enemy ships to see you, but if you’re in the middle of one of these things you’re not gonna see ****.

I could definitely see this as well. Right now the existing obstacles have strong incentives to not move through or overlap them. An obstacle without such incentives adds a different dimension to terrain choice. But you also don't want to incentivize people to just camp on them either. Maybe they provide their defensive against a target obstructed by them, or if the attacker is overlapping them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DXCrazytrain said:

There had better be a way for people not buying into clones wars factions to get the gas clouds.

People are likely going to be buying multiple Squadron Packs and there's no need for a second copy of the gas clouds. There'll be opportunities to buy them off of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should note that the gas cloud works both ways. The gas cloud's effect is inherently punishing to ships landing on it if there isn't some other penalty for it.

If there is to be an additional penalty it seems logical to me that you'll leave a trail should you move through a gas cloud making you easier to "see" and thus easier to hit. Gaining a strain for overlapping or moving through might cause you not to be shot at because of the gas cloud effect. You'd then want to clear the strain when leaving the cloud or on your next maneuver by making a more predictable blue move.

It seems you only remove one strain after defending or a blue maneuver. It seems you'll only suffer one -1 no matter how many strain tokens you have (you can only be "strained" once) but clearing more than one strain token may mean a couple of moves or suffering a couple of attacks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ikka said:

I'm slightly confused on the wording regarding Solitary cards. Are they different than just a limited/unique card?

Solitary cards are limited to only one of that upgrade type per list. From the Article:

"This information is so valuable that each Tactical Relay upgrade is also marked with the "solitary" restriction, limiting its use. During squad building, a player cannot field more than one solitary card of the same upgrade type."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...