thespaceinvader

Power and Profit

1 hour ago, gamblertuba said:

There is a reason FFG has consistently referred to the new content as Clone Wars era.  It's from the cartoon, not the movies.  Granted the cartoon series was uneven but it's a durn sight more popular overall than the movies.

Eeeh, I’m not sure what your point is, but I think it’s just more flavorful to call the Prequel era the Clone Wars era, honestly. Like calling the OT the Galactic Civil War.

With these new factions in wave three, I'm loving the puzzle that is:

"How do I plan lists in my faction that can handle the influx of these new ships and tactics?"

It's a very welcome challenge in list building that reminds me of 1.0 in a good way.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:59 AM, gamblertuba said:

There is a reason FFG has consistently referred to the new content as Clone Wars era.  It's from the cartoon, not the movies.  Granted the cartoon series was uneven but it's a durn sight more popular overall than the movies.

Uh, yeah, sure. Okay.

Not like that isn't what that era is just called or anything, it's definitely to shift marketing to remind people of TCW, not the prequels, even though they're the same thing.

6 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Episode 1 is part of the Clone Wars?  Guess I missed that.  OK.

Episode 1?  That's just a myth.

5 minutes ago, XPav said:

Episode 1?  That's just a myth.

Crazy thing is, it’s true. The podracers, the gungans, the elected queens — all of it. It’s all true.

Edited by JJ48

If we get spinning-kiddie Anakin in a Naboo fighter, I'll cop to the whole prequels=clone wars thing.

The two factions entering the game did not exist in episode 1.  We are getting Clone Wars factions.  It just so happens that two of the prequels were occasionally centered on the clone wars.  When they weren't about sand and parliamentary procedure.

1 hour ago, gamblertuba said:

If we get spinning-kiddie Anakin in a Naboo fighter, I'll cop to the whole prequels=clone wars thing.

The two factions entering the game did not exist in episode 1.  We are getting Clone Wars factions.  It just so happens that two of the prequels were occasionally centered on the clone wars.  When they weren't about sand and parliamentary procedure.

*points exagerratingly off into the distance*

Look! It’s Darth Maul in his Infiltrator!

((Also the Naboo Starfighter has been sighted in Vulture(?) Card Art.))

Edited by SpiderMana

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, Matanui3 said:

All existing content being rereleased is likely to take years, since FFG also needs to make new stuff for legacy players to buy. That’s just good business!

Alienating legacy players is NOT "good business".

12 hours ago, JJ48 said:

When Nazi Germany started annexing regions, World War 2 hadn't actually started yet.  I'd still consider those events part of the WW2 era.

ZOMG even X-WING threads are getting Godwin'd now!

1 minute ago, Firebird TMK said:

I would prefer confining political references to the prequels.

That doesn't really make sense in this context.  The whole point was that some were saying Episode 1 wasn't Clone Wars Era, and others were saying it was.  We can't very well use the prequels as an analogy, as the prequels are precisely what we're discussing.  Hence, the examples from history.

6 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

That doesn't really make sense in this context.  The whole point was that some were saying Episode 1 wasn't Clone Wars Era, and others were saying it was.  We can't very well use the prequels as an analogy, as the prequels are precisely what we're discussing.  Hence, the examples from history.

Alright, then use examples from ancient Rome.  Nobody will object to something that old.

Edited by Firebird TMK

16 minutes ago, Firebird TMK said:

Alright, then use examples from ancient Rome.  Nobody will object to something that old.

You’re the only one objecting to his use of (an entirely spot on) analogy from the previous century. 

On 1/18/2019 at 3:33 PM, SoontirFel said:

Still doesn't explain why second edition isn't stable - your post smacks of butt-hurt, but I'm not sure why... 

Is someone MAKING you play the new format, against your will? If so, I'm sorry, that sounds like some kind of kidnap situation... Have you tried calling 999?🤔

Otherwise, i don't see the issue - a rotating, restricted format will keep competition and the 'meta' fresh... The same as it does in games such as Magic... Or how rotation of maps keeps games fresh in imp assault.

You don't have to play that way though - ffg helpfully released specific upgrade packs with the express purpose of keeping your entirely collection playable (yay! Cue happy Ewoks and celebratory trumpets) so you can fly casual or attend events that allow extended and really enjoy your old favourites. 

That's the good thing about miniatures games - you can play how you like, with who you like... Just like i choose not to play salty blow hards who get upset over rules for imaginary space dog fighting... You can choose not to use any restricted format FFG choose to put out. 😊

splitting format again divides an already underpopulated scene in many cities.  its not an issue everywhere, but many 1.0 players didnt convert so the playerbase is now split between 1.0, 1.0 epic, 2.0, and hyperspace. 

41 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

You’re the only one objecting to his use of (an entirely spot on) analogy from the previous century. 

The only one voicing it. Remember this is an international forum. Lot's of readers from Europe as well.  And for some of these users the horrors of the last world war (oppressive regimes, towns destroyed to 90+ %, millions dead, millions refugees) are only 1-3 generations away, i.e. if you have elderly parents they actually lived in that era as children.

Edited by Managarmr
Spelling