Velvetelvis

The obscure ships that wont ever see a re-release

13 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Might it be that you're talking out your **** because you don't any better in the slightest than the rest of the average joes in this thread?

I'm talking out of exactly the same *** as everyone else, making my opinion exactly as worthless as everyone elses.  Even yours.

7 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

How many waves can we expect in a years time. 3 is normal right? Or is it 2. I actually dont remember. 

I guess I'll call it 3. That means it's looking like 2 years before a phantom sees a re release in a black box. I think the chance of even that happening gets smaller as those 2 years advance and more Disney material is produced.

Scum harder to pin down for sure. And the fact that molds exist already is a strong incentive.  It's an interesting puzzle.

If the last several months are an indicator? Quarterly....

1 hour ago, svelok said:

Interesting to me that so many people think FFG would decline to sell a product whose market viability has already been proven, and for which the expensive parts - game and art design, molds, paint screens, logistics - are already lying around.

You have sales figures to back that up?

If a model had tepid sales compared to others, the work to create a new release might be more profitable than trying to redo a mediocre model.

Edited by Darth Meanie

2 hours ago, SOTL said:

Plus I doubt it'll take FFG long to find that rereleased ships sell WAY less than releasing new ships, and then their rerelease schedule will be dumped pretty darn fast (and pumped up with power creep steroids to ensure sales).

Bad ships sell WAY less than good ships and it's up to FFG which ships they make good. If they want a re-released ship to sell better all they need is a point adjustment. 

A good new ship will obviously sell better than a good re-released ship because nobody has it, but sales volume will, like in 1.0, largely be determined by a single factor: how good it is on the table. 

Ultimately, even if re-released ships sell worse than new ships, the R&D cost and time has already been paid for them and production-wise it might be smarter to have more kinds of ships on the shelves (new and re-released) rather than less (only new). 

7 minutes ago, Gallanteer said:

The KW may not be canon but its a better looking than the EW and even some canon ships- I'm looking at you, Auzituck.

You have really strange taste to consider a "flying" jumble of flatware with rocket pods and a couple of turrets loosely strapped to it good looking, especially in comparison to the battle bison... 

Edited by Hiemfire

9 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

You have really strange taste to consider a "flying" jumble of flatware with rocket pods and a couple of turrets loosely strapped to it good looking, especially in comparison to the battle bison... 

I consider it to be like the A-10  which is both my favorite airplane and possibly the ugliest I have ever seen.  But that's ok, because it was built to win battles, not beauty contests.

18 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

In all honesty, I'm flying the Wullfy pilot a lot 'cos he's a beast, the model itself is just, you know, not very, erm. It's fugly.

Edited by Gallanteer

29 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Yeah, but that's Star Wars for me. Not these sleek Naboo type ships, but totally utilitarean. Plus, it is at least the letter K (and I love my 3 BWs).

Back on point, I reckon everything will be reprinted, it'll just take a few years.

I don't know any more than the next guy, but I was suspicious as soon as I opened my conversion kits and saw that some ships like the M3 came with a crazy amount of pilots, then others like the A-wing came with 4. Missing Aces like Tycho made me think the missing ones would return in the re-released ship packs, but getting them all/most in the conversion kit leads me to believe this is pretty much it, or it for a looonnng time.

After the Striker and Scum z I'm pretty dubious whether we'll see new stuff in rereleases.  Even if it had been planned, I suspect that they've not been able to work out a viable way of releasing the new cards without needing to buy the model, so they're just not going to bother with new cards at all.

1 minute ago, Velvetelvis said:

You mean the older stuff?

I mean anything.

I think when they rerelease the Squint, we'll just see Turr, Fel, and generics.  Etc.  I think they shot themselves in the foot by saying there would be a way to get the cards separately, then failed to find a workable way to do it.

The canon status of ships doesn't really matter in my eyes. They got made, the molds exist, and they are a part of X-wing miniatures game for better or worse. Moreover, it would feel wrong for Scum to lose more than half it's roster to Disney's reboot of the EU. Just because we never see a Starviper on screen doesn't mean they don't exist. There's also the fact that a lot of those EU ships are what drew some of us in. We're talking classic Star Wars designs that you don't get to see all that often. Plenty of us older players have mountains of nostalgia for ships like the Outrider, or Starwing. Do we really think FFG is just going to ignore the chance to sell those to us again?

FFG told us that every 1st ed ship was going to get re-released, and while you could argue that the conversion kits covered that, I personally disagree. I think that we're gonna see a lot of packs that resemble Wave 3's Tie Striker and Scum Z-95. Nothing new, but the ship is being re-released with a model and some cards from the conversion kits to fill out the box. I do expect a few exceptions. More iconic platforms will likely get new pilots along with their re-release. For example, I expect the A-wing and Tie Interceptor re-releases to feature pilots from the kits, but also a couple new pilots in addition.

I find myself saying this a lot but here it is again. The game is in it's early stages. Threads like this give me the idea that a lot of us expect all of 1st eds content back in just a couple waves. That simply can't happen, there is simply too much content in this game for that unless FFG goes into overdrive this year to crank out more and larger waves of expansions.

6 hours ago, SOTL said:

The stated promise to reprint everything was hollow without a timeframe...

...and yet carries infinitely more credibility than the uninformed musings of some random jamoke on the internet.

From the horse's mouth and all that.

...Ghost to be phased out.  *Snort*.

50 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

After the Striker and Scum z I'm pretty dubious whether we'll see new stuff in rereleases.  Even if it had been planned, I suspect that they've not been able to work out a viable way of releasing the new cards without needing to buy the model, so they're just not going to bother with new cards at all.

I think it’s a bit more of a canon pilot availability problem rather than anything else. As far as I know, there is no new character credited as piloting a Scum Z or a Tie Striker. With nothing pressing to add, they could release as is. On the other hand, we have characters like Shara Bay who is credited as an A-Wing Pilot. True, she is already in the game as an ARC pilot, but so was Norra Wexley, who was also giving a slot in her canon Y-Wing. Other ships like the YT-2400, the TIE Interceptor, and TIE Defender have had new canon characters pilot them, so I think still have a chance of receiving new pilots. I could be wrong on that, but we’ll have to wait till those ships are rereleased to see.

Not having canon pilots didn't stop any of the named pilots in the Z, the Striker, the /SF, the /FO, or most of the conversion kits.

There's plenty of material for basically every ship if they're able to delve into legends, which it seems likely that they are (e.g. Mara Jade flew a Z a bunch), but they didn't, which speaks volumes to me.  I may be hearing too much, IYSWIM, but... this is a suspicion, not a fact.