Velvetelvis

The obscure ships that wont ever see a re-release

How many waves can we expect in a years time. 3 is normal right? Or is it 2. I actually dont remember. 

I guess I'll call it 3. That means it's looking like 2 years before a phantom sees a re release in a black box. I think the chance of even that happening gets smaller as those 2 years advance and more Disney material is produced.

Scum harder to pin down for sure. And the fact that molds exist already is a strong incentive.  It's an interesting puzzle.

Unless the ship appears in a Disney owned era movie,comic,tv show, etc. I would say it probably doesnt come back in a re-release, and its why they even offer extended format and sold the conversion kits so people dont go ape****.

So what you're saying is that many of the ships in the OP will become incredibly expensive collector's items on the secondary market, as they'll be out of production yet tournament legal and (in many cases) the only officially licensed depictions of Star Wars ships in existence?

Better pick up those Aggressors while you can, boys!  😂

Yeah, nah.  Everything will see a re-release, and probably faster than expected.  As @LordBladespointed out, FFG has already done the hard work; the only thing that needs to be changed for these re-releases is the packaging.  We're basically talking about reprints here.

Plus FFG have literally said themselves that everything would see a 2nd Edition re-release bar the Aces Kit repaints (more collector's items for you!), and that they were ramping up production to see it was done ASAP.  You can speculate if you want, but the official word is what carries weight.

3 hours ago, XPav said:

Here's the list of Legends-only ships:

The only three ships I've used for more than 5 games from that list are Gunboat, Phantom and Punisher.

That being said, I don't see why FFG would intentionally not sell them. The only case I deem realistic is that constantly new/canon ships are prioritized higher.

14 minutes ago, wurms said:

Unless the ship appears in a Disney owned era movie,comic,tv show, etc. I would say it probably doesnt come back in a re-release, and its why they even offer extended format and sold the conversion kits so people dont go ape****.

What do you expect FFG will do once they run out of Disney Canon ships for one faction? Simply stop releasing anything for that faction? 

1 hour ago, Velvetelvis said:

How many waves can we expect in a years time. 3 is normal right? Or is it 2. I actually dont remember. 

That doesn't necessarily matter.  We've seen 3 Waves announces and 2 released in 4 months since 2nd Edition was released.  If that rate keeps up, we'd bee looking at 6 waves of releases in the first year alone.

And while we're speculating, here's some more for you.  The ships mentioned don't actually need to be released as part of a Wave.  The content and models for them are already there, and already legal in game.  They could just as easily be released for 2nd edition as reprints, which generally arrive faster, more often and in larger quantities than Wave releases.

Future Wave announcements could just as easily be for new ships only.

That is an interesting option.

I would be pleased to see everything come back . I just either feel in my heart or near my well tin foiled hat that those off the wall ships are destined to fade into history.

I could be feeling pre-nostalgiac. 

2 hours ago, Sasajak said:

Currently the only Imperial ship with a turret slot so in game fills a unique slot in the Imperial fleet.  Pretty sure it’ll get re-released... at some point.  If the TIE/rb gets a turret slot this may push it release but I see it more as a TIE/sf precursor and so may only be able to fire front and back (and even then I’m really not sure if those canons move at all 😆).

This. I can see some ships being 'forgotten', but the aggressor at least has a reason to exist from a purely X-wing: Miniatures Game perspective, as the only turret carrier.

The Scyk, by comparison.... between Mining Guild TIEs, Z-95 headhunters (which will get a rerelease, if possibly with a new miniature, because the Headhunter was a fighter in clone wars) and quadjumpers, scum already have a plethora of swarm-able ships.

5 hours ago, XPav said:

Because it's literally ONE tiny view, not flown, in the corner of a panel, in a comic.    It's not even called an E-Wing.   This is it.

latest?cb=20180228035115

I don't think that's an E-Wing, it's an M13-P Blugzuhrag.  YOU CAN'T PROVE ME WRONG.

ROFL, I love how the artist tried to solve the STUPIDITY of the 'above-cockpit cannon' with a hinge... 

😂

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The Scyk, by comparison.... between Mining Guild TIEs, Z-95 headhunters (which will get a rerelease, if possibly with a new miniature, because the Headhunter was a fighter in clone wars) and quadjumpers, scum already have a plethora of swarm-able ships.

The Z-95 is getting a Scum re-release in Wave 3, along with the TIE Striker.

The Scyk is the only swarm-style ship that can take a cannon or a torpedo, so it does have somewhat of a unique ability. When new cannons come out, if they are cheap enough and useful, I can see it having a slot as a cheap cannon carrier.

I'd honestly be surprised if we see anything that's exclusively Legends content again - unless it gets re-canonised in one of the new shows and (if they can see past Solo) movies, I doubt FFG will have time for it, with two entirely new factions to fill out.

I'd be surprised to see a lot of the 1.0 ships come back.  The stated promise to reprint everything was hollow without a timeframe and I think they'll prioritise ships tied to new films/series over reprinting ships from some comic 20 years ago.

Its just not realistic to expect everything from E-Wings, K-Wings, Punishers, Ghost, Lancers, Decimators etc to see light of day before we cycle into Third Edition and start again.

Edited by SOTL

15 minutes ago, SOTL said:

I'd be surprised to see a lot of the 1.0 ships come back.  The stated promise to reprint everything was hollow without a timeframe and I think they'll prioritise ships tied to new films/series over reprinting ships from some comic 20 years ago.

Its just not realistic to expect everything from (...) Ghost, (..) etc to see light of day before we cycle into Third Edition and start again.

Ghost had full 4 seasons of a cartoon series. Do not underestimate the appeal to younger Star Wars fans. They may like a contemporary cartoon more than some 40 year old films with (with today's eyes) partially crappy special effects, and can more identify with it, and want to fly it. Thus profit for FFG. FFG needs to hook up younger fans as well.

Edit: Actually the Vcx100 is canon even in cinema. You see one Rogue One, and it is prominently mentioned in Solo.

Edited by Managarmr
Forgot something

7 hours ago, LTuser said:

Well, the Z-95 may have existed for ever, but as i've not seen any of the cartoons, all i can say, is OTHER than novels, and the RPGs, i've not seen it in films..

They turn up in Clone Wars. Same for the YV-666 (canonizing a legend ship). 

14 minutes ago, SOTL said:

Its just not realistic to expect everything from E-Wings, K-Wings, Punishers, Ghost, Lancers, Decimators etc to see light of day before we cycle into Third Edition and start again.

That depends on how they structure the Waves and the timing of said Waves. Depending on how deep they mine, Separatists/Republic offer around 2-4 Waves of their own, and if you base the number of ships the Last Jedi gave us (very few) then Episode 9 might not have a lot to give FO/Resistance, maybe 1-3 Waves. So on the low end you're looking at 3 Waves of new content, 7 Waves on the high side. I'd expect FFG to continue what they're doing now, sprinkling in re-releases for the original three factions in with the new stuff, in varying amounts.

20 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

Ghost had full 4 seasons of a cartoon series. Do not underestimate the appeal to younger Star Wars fans. They may like a contemporary cartoon more than some 40 year old films with (with today's eyes) partially crappy special effects, and can more identify with it, and want to fly it. Thus profit for FFG. FFG needs to hook up younger fans as well.

Edit: Actually the Vcx100 is canon even in cinema. You see one Rogue One, and it is prominently mentioned in Solo.

It did, but all of that is in the past now and I think it's among the things most likely to be cycled out of the schedule to include new ships.

Canon or not, is it what Disney want FFG to focus on or will they want to ensure that all the attention is on the new series/films?

3 hours ago, SOTL said:

It did, but all of that is in the past now and I think it's among the things most likely to be cycled out of the schedule to include new ships.

Canon or not, is it what Disney want FFG to focus on or will they want to ensure that all the attention is on the new series/films?

Depends entirely on how many new ships they want to bring in how fast, versus how much new content Disney will be putting out.

Right now, the only thing we have a definitive timeline for is Episode 9. We know the Mandalorian and Cassian series are coming, but there’s no guarantee of new ships (especially the Cassian series, arguably the Mandalorian has to introduce some new ones).

Edited by ScummyRebel

7 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Depends entirely on how many new ships they want to bring in how fast, versus how much new content Disney will be putting out.

Right now, the only thing we have a definitive timeline for is Episode 9. We know the Mandalorian and Acadian series are coming, but there’s no guarantee of new ships (especially the Cassian series, arguably the Mandalorian has to introduce some new ones).

In my view it's also a matter of how different factions will be supported with new material. I highly doubt FFG will simply abandon a faction once they run out of canon ships. I also doubt Disney has any plans to constantly produce new content for all 3 eras covered by X-wing.

Rebels for example have 6 movie ships (A, B, U, X and Y-wing and the YT-1300). Once all those are released, I highly doubt the Cassian Andor series alone will produce enough ships for regular releases. For comparison, Rebels produced 3 new Rebel ships in 4 years. 

Oh there's definitely going to be SOME rereleases from old stuff.  I just think it'll take like 8-9 years to rerelease them all while producing some new ships as well, and that we won't go 8-9 years without Third Edition appearing.

Plus I doubt it'll take FFG long to find that rereleased ships sell WAY less than releasing new ships, and then their rerelease schedule will be dumped pretty darn fast (and pumped up with power creep steroids to ensure sales).

1 hour ago, SOTL said:

Yeah, that must be why we got the Mining Guild TIE in the last wave. 

Oh wait. 

Interesting to me that so many people think FFG would decline to sell a product whose market viability has already been proven, and for which the expensive parts - game and art design, molds, paint screens, logistics - are already lying around.

2 minutes ago, SOTL said:

Just a tip: the past =/= the future.

But the Mining Guild TIE is from the past. 

Or at least, the same past as the Ghost, which is what started this. They're both from Rebels. 

Why would they release a ship from Rebels in the most recent wave if Rebels "is in the past now and ... among the things most likely to be cycled out of the schedule to include new ships."?

Might it be that you're talking out your **** because you don't any better in the slightest than the rest of the average joes in this thread?