milarky

Star destroyers as flat game tiles or 3d as per colt express.. ?

Just getting in to x-wing 2.0.. Thinking star destroyer bombing  runs .. the models might be to big but a tile template maybe ? So want a rouge one ..space gate n vs ground so at-st templates .. so runewars battle Mat.. flat trooper tiles .. and terrain tiles ..3d colt style at ats  maybe.. and similar space gate star destroyer scenarios...any one done this..feel it's a go.er...

Edited by milarky

On 1/20/2019 at 9:07 AM, LagJanson said:

Go flat tile. Easier surface to play on, and that thing is going to be huge. You’re likely looking at 6’x3’ just to get enough to feel right 

6'x3'?  I'd say just paint the floor of your garage.

30 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

6'x3'?  I'd say just paint the floor of your garage.

Harder to take it to a friend's house to play.

I'll admit I've been tempted to cut up an 8'x4' thing of pink Styrofoam insulation, 1" thick, and cut it up for a star destroyer. Pretty much shut that idea down. Feasible, but already got two Death Stars. I'll let somebody else deal with the star destroyers.

Erm. Just for giggles (and to figure out something to do with some empty coffee cans I have laying around) I did a quick scale calc for the length of an Imperial I Star Destroyer. 19' 5 1/4" (5.93m) long if converted from the canon 1.6km to X-Wing scale (1/270)… I think @JJ48 might have a good idea, finding a garage large enough might be an issue though.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:48 AM, Hiemfire said:

Erm. Just for giggles (and to figure out something to do with some empty coffee cans I have laying around) I did a quick scale calc for the length of an Imperial I Star Destroyer. 19' 5 1/4" (5.93m) long if converted from the canon 1.6km to X-Wing scale (1/270)… I think @JJ48 might have a good idea, finding a garage large enough might be an issue though.

While the 1/270 scaled peace-sphere is going to cover the entirery of your neighbourhood :)

(Done the math exercise for this when some of  children started x-wing.)

Well my idea for a Star Destroyer is for it to have an influence zone between the bases in which a token represents if it is flying over or under the Star Destroyer. Something that can be done on 3d Cardboard I guess.

Still it seems the largest argument against this is always what size should it be. For me I would be fine with say a 24"-30" long model, but many people demand that it would need to be at an unplayable size in order for it to be in X-wing.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:43 PM, Marinealver said:

Still it seems the largest argument against this is always what size should it be. For me I would be fine with say a 24"-30" long model, but many people demand that it would need to be at an unplayable size in order for it to be in X-wing.

You can do whatever you want on your table. 24”-30” would look and feel way too small to me. 4’-6’ on the other hand would feel ok to me and isn’t an unplayable size. Well within possible construction.