Jeff Wilder

Are you an X-Wing cheater?

First, I apologize for the click-bait title.  Because "cheating" actually requires intent to break rules, I cheated picking a topic title.

Second, what I'm actually asking is, "Do you screw up in X-Wing?  A lot?"  Because I do.

My top screw-up is forgetting what I dialed in.  This happens when I'm vacillating between two or three moves.  I decide on one, set my dial, but by the time I activate my ship I think I've done another one.  It doesn't help that I also absentmindedly forget to flip my dial until after I've moved.  It got so bad at one point that my frequent opponent (Dan, from the defunct TSG) started openly ridiculing me for it.  (Which I deserved.)  "Are you sure you didn't 4K off the board?"

Lately, with 2E, my most common screw-up is just plain getting the rules wrong.  In my most recent tournament, on three separate occasions I was positive I was right about something (my own Boba Fett with Qi'ra does not benefit from Trick Shot (wrong), Coordinate requires you to pick a ship to give an action and then measure (wrong), and the person being jammed chooses whether to lose a Lock or a green token (wrong)), and on all three, I was just plain wrong.  (The only one we didn't check, thankfully, was the one that worked against me.)

I'm also a little clumsy in a ship-scrum, and bump ships and obstacles frequently, but that's a different thing, and since I let my opponent have final say on corrected positioning, it doesn't make me feel so bad.  (Basically, being dumb makes me feel worse than being clumsy.)

So ... do you "cheat"?

I am notorious in my group for wrecking the game state on accident; me and miniature games do not mix well at times. 

For example, we will have two ships marked. They put the first ship down, and I'm like "oh cool," so I pick my marker up, which was for the second ship that was marked haha . . .

1 hour ago, SabineKey said:

Yeah, by this definition of cheater, i’m a dirty rotten one. Plenty of forgotten triggers and crits (use crit tokens, people).<snip>

Emphasis mine; even as Filthy Casual, it drives me nuts when I see a player not using Crit Tokens.

As for "cheating", yeah I forget stuff all the time, and many of the 2e changes are still sinking in. Though I do feel I most often "cheat" against myself, forgetting Swarm Tactics, Systems bomb drops, etc...

I forget my crits so many times...when I first got the game I was like "Crit tokens?  Seriously I can remember my own crits at least I don't need another token to remind me." But no...I almost always forget the crits so I need crit tokens.  And I bump all the ships all over the place every time I play

2 hours ago, HanScottFirst said:

I am notorious in my group for wrecking the game state on accident; me and miniature games do not mix well at times. 

For example, we will have two ships marked. They put the first ship down, and I'm like "oh cool," so I pick my marker up, which was for the second ship that was marked haha . . .

I had one game where, on consecutive turns, my opponent and I goofed. In one he had two ships with one jumping the other. Marks the first, pulls it off, then grabs an entirely separate ship that had been behind the two, and places it at the marker.

Immediately I realize, point it out, and try as best we can to put everything in place. ‘Yeah this ship was just outside of range one of mine last turn, and should be about here’ kinda stuff.

The next turn I do the same **** thing with my Strikers. Mark one, move second, place third in first ones spot. I knew it before I’d even taken my hand off the model.

We’d both taken the marked ship and put it close to our board esge, before leaning over the middle to execute.

just laugh, try to fix it, and move on.

And, yeah, bumping ships, nudging asteroids a few mm, and the like? Constant. I try, but when you get in the scrum, it can be hard. Especially with ships like Strikers and U-wings. They extend, and tend to get caught. I put my Strikers on two or more pegs to try and minimize, and put each of them on a different level, to reduce self catching.

I’ve had times where I’ve lost ships then, after the fact, gone ‘oh ****, I had a reroll from Del Meeko’ or something. Like I have a list that literally has one ability/ upgrade total, AND I FORGET IT. Like it shouldn’t be hard! One thing, One! And I can’t remember that.

Edited by millertime059

I always have to back up to beginning of combat triggers.

What makes this worse is I keep trying to make Scum Han Gunner activate at beginning of combat, even when his ship engages later.

4 hours ago, SabineKey said:

Recent trouble revolves around not reading Predator close enough and trying to use it to reroll a Procket die. 

this is me i finally got to where i just use marksmanship as the only bulls-eye elite that works on proton rockets.

Forgetting crits, recharging end of round, triggers... 

Happens to me more in the evening after being 12h or so on my feet though. So the game night matches are usually sloppier than weekend games at home or on tournaments

8 hours ago, LagJanson said:

Gloriously, on stream. Forgot a Console Fire in the finals... for two rounds. Streamer thankfully corrected the game state, and further I did not explode in my catch up rolls which would have put my opponent in a dumb spot.

I swear I'm the only person I know who always uses critical damage tokens because if I don't I will forget this stuff.

Even with the 'reminder' token I still seem to have about an 80% record of remembering at best.

7 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

How does jam work??

If you receive a jam token, the person applying it chooses for the ship to loose either a target lock or a green token (focus, evade, calculate, reinforce).

The ship's owner decides which green token or which lock, if there's a choice.

If the ship has neither, the token sits there until it receives one (in which case this immediately triggers as above) or the end of the round (where it is removed unless something like ISB slicers keeps it in play), and it is considered "Jammed" for rules purposes during this time.