Jeff Wilder

Are you an X-Wing cheater?

7 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

If you receive a jam token, the person applying it chooses for the ship to loose either a target lock or a green token (focus, evade, calculate, reinforce).

The ship's owner decides which green token or which lock, if there's a choice.

If the ship has neither, the token sits there until it receives one (in which case this immediately triggers as above) or the end of the round (where it is removed unless something like ISB slicers keeps it in play), and it is considered "Jammed" for rules purposes during this time.

This distinction is so incredibly stupid

Ugh, I always bump ships to oblivion. Especially when I play with swarms...

I was in an 80p three-way with Rey/Finn and Ahsoka/Rex versus a Scum list and an Empire list with Kylo (this was 1e). I gunned down a few ships fairly quickly, including Kylo, leaving the Empire crippled. However, the two teams ganged up on me and I was the first out (never playing 3-way again). Scum easily beat Empire thanks to their lack of their best ship. As we were packing up, I realised one of Kylo's key upgrades, one that gave him a free evade in most cases, hadn't been mentioned all game. That could have turned the tide of the entire match, but it was a Dirty Poor Casual(TM) game, so no biggie.

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I swear I'm the only person I know who always uses critical damage tokens because if I don't I will forget this stuff.

Even with the 'reminder' token I still seem to have about an 80% record of remembering at best.

Actually I do too. Same game I put a crit token down earlier... but we hurried through a shot and the token didn’t hit the table for that one... 

I think for most people this happens regardless of how careful you tend to be. My last game I was shaking so bad I pretty much bumped other ships (Both sides) every time I tried to move. Ended up letting my opponent do my moves. **** coffee lol 

7 minutes ago, Wes Janson said:

Ended up letting my opponent do my moves. **** coffee lol 

It's a balance between 'enough caffeine to manage a level of tactical thinking superior to a concussed sloth', and 'so much caffeine my stupid ham-fists can't move stuff precisely anymore'.

It's not an easy balance to strike.

Stuff gets bumped all the time... I forget crits, abilities, upgrades at least once a game...

I once fired proton torpedoes 4 times from the same ship because I forgot to flip the token (they never hit, so it wasn't a game ender)

Worst offender was back in the waning days of 1.0. One of the regulars gets very animated.wkth his hands when he talks and swatted an A-Wing off the table... then it bounced out the door and down a sewer. He was more than happy to replace it, until he realized it was the Rebel Aces version and had to pay 3 times the cost online to get it.

Crit tokens would definitely help me remember I have a crit. If I remembered to put a crit token down...

At a store tourney, we totally forgot I had a damaged engine on Rex until clearing up after. I had performed a fairly important 3 hard while he had it, during the end game.

Still, it more than evens out with the amount of times I forget to repair a crit and it then comes up in the combat phase. Oh yeah, that Fuel Leak...  darn.

Played 2 entire games last night without remembering one of my ships had Ruthless.... 

5 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

That one needs to remember which player chooses what on an already complicated action in a host of tons of actions is silly. 

Nobody has to remember anything. Either the jam action removes a token immediately (you only choose between options if the target has more than one), or it gives a token which cancels the next lock or green the ship gets, no matter which it gets.

43 minutes ago, SDCC said:

I don't flip tokens at the right time. I do bump clumsily. I should use crit tokens.

I have been on a mission since I started a year ago to get people to use them, as I find its very easy in the heat of battle to forget to roll for Console Fire, remove a die for Structural Damage/Weapons Failure, etc.

2 minutes ago, impspy said:

I have been on a mission since I started a year ago to get people to use them, as I find its very easy in the heat of battle to forget to roll for Console Fire, remove a die for Structural Damage/Weapons Failure, etc.

Can endorse. I've been on this mission too, for myself. 

I forget my own crits so often, ugh. The token reduces my error rate substantially. It's so easy to get the one that makes your turns harder, or damages you on non-straights, and just forget about it because it's not immediately relevant during engagement.

5 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

If you receive a jam token, the person applying it chooses for the ship to loose either a target lock or a green token (focus, evade, calculate, reinforce).

The ship's owner decides which green token or which lock, if there's a choice.

If the ship has neither, the token sits there until it receives one (in which case this immediately triggers as above) or the end of the round (where it is removed unless something like ISB slicers keeps it in play), and it is considered "Jammed" for rules purposes during this time.

As an aside, this is a common rules interpretation, but not one that is supported by most judges I know (or me).  The jammer chooses the token or the lock if I'm your judge.

On topic, I've made tons of unintentional errors, some on stream!  There's a lot of moving parts to X-Wing, and triggers can be forgotten, rules can be misunderstood, etc. 

54 minutes ago, pheaver said:

As an aside, this is a common rules interpretation, but not one that is supported by most judges I know (or me).  The jammer chooses the token or the lock if I'm your judge.

On topic, I've made tons of unintentional errors, some on stream!  There's a lot of moving parts to X-Wing, and triggers can be forgotten, rules can be misunderstood, etc. 

The rules reference clearly states that the jammer chooses which *type* and the jammed chooses which *token*, if there are choices to be made.

12 hours ago, bllaw said:

I forget my crits so many times...when I first got the game I was like "Crit tokens?  Seriously I can remember my own crits at least I don't need another token to remind me." But no...I almost always forget the crits so I need crit tokens.  And I bump all the ships all over the place every time I play

That reminds me. I need to get some custom 2.0 crit tokens. (The ones that have an icon that shows what the crit is)

10 minutes ago, Matanui3 said:

The rules reference clearly states that the jammer chooses which *type* and the jammed chooses which *token*, if there are choices to be made.

It actually doesn't state who chooses which token, just that the one causing the Jam chooses the token type (green or lock).

16 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

My top screw-up is forgetting what I dialed in.  This happens when I'm vacillating between two or three moves.  I decide on one, set my dial, but by the time I activate my ship I think I've done another one.  It doesn't help that I also absentmindedly forget to flip my dial until after I've moved.  It got so bad at one point that my frequent opponent (Dan, from the defunct TSG) started openly ridiculing me for it.  (Which I deserved.)  "Are you sure you didn't 4K off the board?"

You should really work on fixing that, because that's how actual cheaters actually cheat at the game. I still remember somebody trying to do that to me back in first edition, and I saw them trying to slide their unflipped dial off the table and only barely managed to stop them and find out that they had actually flown right into my killbox instead of arc-dodging me. 

A good practice is to put the dial physically on the ship if you can, so you can't touch the ship without picking up the dial first. It's not always physically possible but doing it when you can will start to develop the habit for you of always flipping your dial before touching your ship. 

As for myself, the most common mistake I tend to make is getting first player mixed up and thinking that I shoot or move first or vice versa, especially after a very long round. I've made it a part of my end-of-planning-phase mental checklist though (which basically includes double checking which ships have system phase abilities and the correct order that ships are going to activate) and lately I've been finding myself catching these mistakes before we move into the system phase. 

44 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

It actually doesn't state who chooses which token, just that the one causing the Jam chooses the token type (green or lock).

Whoops, didn’t have the document open to check. In that case , I’m pretty sure it was in the FAQ.

1 minute ago, Tvboy said:

You should really work on fixing that, because that's how actual cheaters actually cheat at the game. I still remember somebody trying to do that to me back in first edition, and I saw them trying to slide their unflipped dial off the table and only barely managed to stop them and find out that they had actually flown right into my killbox instead of arc-dodging me. 

I have a bad habit of forgetting to flip, too. I always make sure to slide my dial to where it's clearly visible when I realize I've done it for exactly this reason.

I hate to argue about an arcane rules thing in a thread that's not about that, but the question about jam has not been settled yet (at least to my understanding). The rules as written are ambiguous and could be interpreted in favor of either player choosing which specific token is removed.