Darth Matthew

Is it worth starting Armada?

Armada is one of those games that will live on far beyond FFG (like GW's old Epic games...), especially in the forumware/3D printing era.  It may actually end up becoming even bigger, given how active the community is, if they do axe it...

It is definitely one of the best tactical spacewar wargames that is out there.  Old BFG was fun, and there have been many others (Halo, Dropfleet, A Call to Arms, Leviathan, various Star Trek Games, etc), but it is the most accessible, balanced, and most playable one out there that I have seen/experienced.  Will live on in my collection for decades most likely.

2 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

I'll guess Rebel Huge base ship. Leaning towards a Lucrehulk at this point. It makes the most sense IF you accept that Clone Wars is coming eventually, or at least is a serious possibility. Though I won't rule out the Raddus, or another huge Mon Call ship.

I think Lucrehulk is a given, but I think they are trying to synchronize everything around Clone Wars, so I'm not sure we will see it as a GCW era release.  Would be nice to see a soft-reboot of Armada in CW era, and then an accessory pack to adapt to GCW era or some such, so the CW stuff can have it's own baseline and not be dependent on trying to work into the well established GCW era meta.  Would be nice to eventually get new trilogy era as well, but the ships tend to be much larger in new trilogy, so would be a lot more difficult logistically unless they had a scale change.  I have a feeling everything is tied to CW Season 7 and a soft reboot.  Hopefully a repackaging of Core set, to make more accessible to new players.

Would be nice if Disney allowed FFG to take the gloves off and run with new ships and rejuvenating old ones as part of their expansion and fleshing out of new Canon...

23 hours ago, Chemosh667 said:

I think Lucrehulk is a given, but I think they are trying to synchronize everything around Clone Wars, so I'm not sure we will see it as a GCW era release.  Would be nice to see a soft-reboot of Armada in CW era, and then an accessory pack to adapt to GCW era or some such, so the CW stuff can have it's own baseline and not be dependent on trying to work into the well established GCW era meta.  Would be nice to eventually get new trilogy era as well, but the ships tend to be much larger in new trilogy, so would be a lot more difficult logistically unless they had a scale change.  I have a feeling everything is tied to CW Season 7 and a soft reboot.  Hopefully a repackaging of Core set, to make more accessible to new players.

Would be nice if Disney allowed FFG to take the gloves off and run with new ships and rejuvenating old ones as part of their expansion and fleshing out of new Canon...

One of my biggest hopes for CW season 7, is that we finally get to see the Victory SD on screen... Not just in a video game. ;)

On 1/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, Darth Matthew said:

Hey guys, is it worth getting into Armada now, or is Fantasy Flight going to axe it like they did to RuneWars?

When was the last time anything new came out?

My recommendation is based on whether you have a group of friends interested in it, or you're relying on a local community.

If the former (and casual), it's a fun, balanced game with some interesting mechanics. I'd absolutely recommend getting into it. There's more than enough ships out there to get variability in gameplay, and with a group of friends who are mutually interested, you should be able to play often enough and potentially split costs.

If the latter (or competitive), you're going to have to do some more research into the state of the game where you live.

Edited by Canuck7

Aside from the Nebulon B and x-wings, the miniature quality is top-notch: worth getting into just for the ships, even, IMHO.  Sharp casting, pre-painted if you're lazy, but they really shine when you paint them yourself- minimal mold lines and assembly gaps in my experience.  Panel lines are a touch too big on some ships, but it's manageable.

Also, as a long time miniatures/board game player (40k, full thrust, battletech, dirtside, b5 wars, ACTA, etc.) this is definitely my favorite system of the bunch.  People who say the game takes too long should have tried 40k 2e imperial guard vs orks.... that was always 4 hours at a minimum :).

If your interested in the game I highly recommend checking your local area for players and Tournaments. 

I'm in an area where the numbers are few. Only played 3 times. Though I have a large collection and several 3d printed ships also. I've already preordered the Super Star Destroyer. 

The store I play weekly at is having a learn & play day event for Armada this month. So fingers crossed that I'll get more people interested to play with. 

The models got me into it.

Also note Amazon is having a good sale on ships. Even though I don't want to support that kind of company.