Darth Matthew

Is it worth starting Armada?

The writing was on the wall for Rune Wars right from the start. It didn't sell well out of the gate.Here not a single copy of anything sold, where as X-wing and Armada are usually sold out.

Edited by Wes Janson

Absolutely yes! I started playing back in May last year and really wish I'd discovered Armada sooner (although my wife wishes the opposite :D) 

I think the game is incredibly well balanced and pretty much any ship type or squadron (and most Commanders) can be effective and even competitive. My tournament fleet is mostly made of up stuff from the Core set and earlier waves with nothing from the last 2 waves and I've had good success with it competitively which is a testament to FFG's incredible game design and game balancing. There isn't 'power creep' like you get in many other games that forces you to keep buying the latest newest stuff and you don't need to have to buy a new set of rules every couple of years. There are some FAQs but not lots so it's easy to keep track of. The community is also great and I've really enjoyed both real world and online tournaments I've played in. 

Oh yes! Me and two friends play Armada and Legion as often as we can and we are having a blast. Also looking into some kind of campaign to link those two games. 

I started one year ago and habe had alot of fun.

everyone is focusing on games continuity but there are other factors that you have to consider,

do you like Star Wars?

do you like space battles?

do you like table top games?

if your answer is yes, then go for it, it is a fun game with really cool looking miniatures and it will last long as you take good care of your stuff,

one thing that you should be careful is the budget, that is the real issue that you should be mindful of

6 minutes ago, Kelsier16 said:

So I’m getting into armada soon, what should I start with, besides the base set of course:)

thanks!

I recommend the ISD (Chimaera works fine too) and Arquitens for the Empire, Home One and MC30 for the Rebellion.  But to some degree it depends on what  you want to fly, and if there’s an expansion you’re enthusiastic about that’s a good priority.

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Oddly enough, it's actually a great time to jump in. The most iconic ships are available, the factions are well-balanced, and the online community is very supportive. 

I'd echo what everyone else has said, if you have a local scene, friends and/or family to play and learn with it only gets better. 

I doubt FFG has any current plans to kill Armada, they just don't communicate as a company. It's not a good thing but we all live with it, complain about it, and yet still get together for events and discuss the game, lists, theorycraft etc. 

The real problem is that it’s difficult to start now because there are sooooo many expansions that you can’t find at reasonable prices due to so much being out of stock.  Armada is the greatest game ever but I would hate to not have the squadrons 1 packs.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:42 PM, Cavkov said:

Oh yes! Me and two friends play Armada and Legion as often as we can and we are having a blast. Also looking into some kind of campaign to link those two games. 

I started one year ago and habe had alot of fun.

Working on that. I have a concept for a better Armada "campaign" that requires landing troops and taking over planets. I am working on abstracting that for Armada and leaving room for Legion.

On 1/17/2019 at 5:14 PM, Darth Matthew said:

Hey guys, is it worth getting into Armada now,

Yes, it's worth it.  

or is Fantasy Flight going to axe it like they did to RuneWars?

They could axe is tomorrow and it would still be worth getting into.  ****, perhaps MORE worth it because the game is **** well balanced at this point and covers just about every GCW era ship, fighter, and hero you could expect to find in a space batle.

When was the last time anything new came out?

The Super Star Destroyer is coming out in the next few months.  Other than that, the release rate is fairly laid back.  They're less focused on making easy (and poorly balanced) cash grabs and franchise tie-ins than they are making a quality product.

I've been playing miniatures games of all types since the 80s (man I'm old) and this is the most thoughtful, satisfying and well-balanced tabletop wargame I've tried.  I'm not saying Armada is flawless, but it's just so much fun and very rewarding to play.  Like others have said, even if it gets canceled tomorrow it would still be a fantastic game with years' worth of strategies to uncover and explore.  Highly recommended! 

Yes, Armada is one of the best games I've ever played and one of my favourites. There is no way in (north of Trondheim) they're going to invest in the companies largest model to date for a game they're about to axe, nor would they have reprints scheduled. The lack of releases is actually good for the game as it allows the existing stuff to get used to the fullest. Every ship comes with upgrades that can make the ship work and future expansions will be more balanced to avoid cross faction purchases.

Warner Bros. axed the Babylon 5 CCG in about 2002 and I still have all my cards in case I find someone to play against. Armada for me will be the same for me decades after FFG finally lets it go, which won't be anytime soon.

swm20 = SSD, swm28 = ?

On 1/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, Darth Matthew said:

Hey guys, is it worth getting into Armada now, or is Fantasy Flight going to axe it like they did to RuneWars?

Bear in mind, you'll get some biased reports given this is the Armada board.  People are very invested, and are going to be overly salty about the state of the game or overly optimistic about the state of the game.

I had the opportunity to pick-up a cheap RuneWars collection a couple weeks ago, and posted on the RuneWars Boards here asking about the state of the game.  I got about twenty very positive replies saying the game was healthy and in a great place and that I should definitely jump in, especially if I had a local scene.  Fortunately, two days later FFGOP announced the end of RuneWars, so I just narrowly dodged a bullet.

@Darth Matthew obviously yes but perhaps expand what you are looking for. do you have people to play with or tell us your area, for example the Netherlands has a facebook site for star wars armada players which has people located aound several cities planning tournaments and me and 3 others are starting corellian conflict around Den Bosch aswell though you are unlikely to be Dutch with a name such as Matthew, in fact with a name like that you are likely to be american probs WASP ( white anglo-saxon protestant). this map says midwest or upper eastcoast is most likely though it could still be anywhere christian being something you US folk are too much and too extremist in.

chart-state-stats.svg

theres also ~6/7% chance that your last  name is one of he following 20, smith being most likely at 0.85%

chart-top-full-names.svg

( am I close on anything?)

anyways that is all the deduction im willing to put into your location without you telling us anything s my advice is for you to:

try to find a core set cheap and hold off on buying expansions that are not in stock untill the reprint happens likely around when the SSD comes out, I think they are trying to time it so the reprints and SSD are coming out at the same time.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, Darth Matthew said:

Hey guys, is it worth getting into Armada now, or is Fantasy Flight going to axe it like they did to RuneWars?

Do you desire to experience the gaming version of Stockholm Syndrome?  Then by all means, yes! Yes, get started in a game that requires substantial monetary investment, little to no communication from the developer, questionable support for ongoing product development, and hyper-inflated online auction prices of expansions that are “reprinting soon” but haven’t been available for some time and are all but necessary for full enjoyment of the game.

19 minutes ago, emsgoof said:

Do you desire to experience the gaming version of Stockholm Syndrome?  Then by all means, yes! Yes, get started in a game that requires substantial monetary investment, little to no communication from the developer, questionable support for ongoing product development, and hyper-inflated online auction prices of expansions that are “reprinting soon” but haven’t been available for some time and are all but necessary for full enjoyment of the game.

To be fair, this is hardly a reflection of the game as a whole. 

Yes, it's been slow, and that is being discussed to death, but what about the game itself and what is already available? There are more than enough expansions already out for a new players to learn to use while we wait for the next release. (And the next release does look like it's going to cause a considerable stir).

There are problems, reprints are probably the worst of it, even in the communication black out we've had with FFG, but the game is in an amazing place right now. This is still a great time to buy in. 

23 hours ago, Qualitypunk said:

swm20 = SSD, swm28 = ?

I'll guess Rebel Huge base ship. Leaning towards a Lucrehulk at this point. It makes the most sense IF you accept that Clone Wars is coming eventually, or at least is a serious possibility. Though I won't rule out the Raddus, or another huge Mon Call ship.