Darth Matthew

Is it worth starting Armada?

17 minutes ago, Darth Matthew said:

Hey guys, is it worth getting into Armada now, or is Fantasy Flight going to axe it like they did to RuneWars?

When was the last time anything new came out?

I believe the last time anything new came out was last February. Nobody knows if they are going to axe it, but I doubt it. They are, after all, about to release their largest expansion yet (the SSD), and are currently reprinting many of the most sought-after expansions.

For me personally, I would say that it is worth it to get into the game, even if FFG does axe it, as the game itself is awesome and doesn't need new content to be so. With FFG's reprints, it won't be more expensive than before to get into it, and it is incredibly fun to play. I know I will continue to play it for many long years to come, regardless of official support.

21 minutes ago, Darth Matthew said:

Hey guys, is it worth getting into Armada now, or is Fantasy Flight going to axe it like they did to RuneWars?

We haven't had new content in about a year, but we are about to get the largest minauter FFG has ever produced for a game, something that has taken a lot of time and energy to build so i doupt we will get the axe, one of the reasons they axed runwars was because of the number of attendies at OP events, from my understanding the "BIG" OP events for Armada has always sold out, I mean Armada worlds sold out in a few hours, so I don't think we are endangered of being axed.

1 minute ago, xero989 said:

We haven't had new content in about a year, but we are about to get the largest minauter FFG has ever produced for a game, something that has taken a lot of time and energy to build so i doupt we will get the axe, one of the reasons they axed runwars was because of the number of attendies at OP events, from my understanding the "BIG" OP events for Armada has always sold out, I mean Armada worlds sold out in a few hours, so I don't think we are endangered of being axed.

And I mean, Runewars was not axed - only the OP for it was...

10 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

I doubt that's a very comforting thought for people that play Runewars. 

It’s still better than not.

95% of the players I know didn’t attend OP anyway... They’re still players.

There was plenty of sales and support according to FFG, but their 2 world championships were 12 and 20 players respectively...  Nationsls was 8...

Tge OP was not what people were (seemingly) after - not what was driving the game.

The game itself was...  I mean, That’s why I got 2 Cores...

Edited by Drasnighta

1 hour ago, CaribbeanNinja said:

If you have a local group that plays it, absolutely, 100%. 

This is a big one, if you have at least 2-3 guys locally to play with (either already there or that start playing alongside you) it is a very Good game. And I highly recommend it

Edited by clontroper5

I'm in agreement with the "if you have a local group" crowd. Tough to justify if there isn't local players.

Ironically a local gaming group I know has 4 players and are looking at doing CC soon. I'm busy finishing my basement, but if they hold off on starting or do a 2nd one, I'll hop in for sure. 

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

It’s still better than not.

95% of the players I know didn’t attend OP anyway... They’re still players.

There was plenty of sales and support according to FFG...

Maybe? 

I think what's telling is that the article announcing the end of OP never once said anything like "but don't worry, we'll still be adding new units and factions to the world of Terrinnoth for all of you to enjoy!"  That they were utterly radio silent on whether or not the game was dead seemed to be one of those "your silence says everything" sort of moments.  Of course... given how radically incompetent FFGOP has proven themselves to be at communicating with the community (oh hello end of year Tweet), you know maybe they just forgot to mention that part...?

Of course, probably also doesn't help that right before Christmas the FFG Webstore was having a fire sale on everything RuneWars...

If you have at least one person to play with on a regular basis the answer is Yes, this game totally worth jumping in! 

Talking for myself I got into armada 2 years ago started playing with one of my friends and my girlfriend. It took 1 year before I start looking around for player groups, to find the closest being at 1h30 road trip, so we participate in a few tournaments, but most likely we just keep playing our 3-4 weekly game in my basement.

from my reading on this forum I can totally understand how frustrating it can be for people who like this game beeing unable to play regulary because there is no group, or the group dissolved in their town.

4 hours ago, Darth Matthew said:

We have a massive epic-scale expansion coming within the next 1-2 months (SSD) and in many ways the community is the most vibrant it's ever been.  New players are spoiled for choice when it comes to available ships and upgrades that cater to their preferred competition or casual play style.  I'm seeing increasing numbers of sold out tournaments and championships.  I'd start by looking around in your local area and finding a regular group before investing too heavily, because finding a regular pool of opponents is going to make your experience much more enjoyable.

Yep, even if the game stops here there are a lot of ships to choose from for each side, as long as you have at least one reliable person to play the game with.  I don't play the game with anyone but my dad and occasionally a buddy, but am still slowly buying all the ships for each side.  In a few years hopefully I'll dust off the game as my son gets old enough to play, and I am sure the game will be done by then- but it's not like my collection will go bad because of it.

It's an awesome game as long as you have someone to play with.

And with the excellent balance in the ships, there are so many different fleets to build, you can play for years even if there are no new releases.

7 hours ago, Darth Matthew said:

Hi Matthew.

The answer depends on what type of gamer you are.  If you can only enjoy the game as a competitive sport and live to list build/strategise/compete and can only enjoy investing in a game that provides regular competitive play locally, don’t buy it.  There are cheaper, better supported options.

If you want to own an excellent Star Wars miniatures game that does a really good job of simulating space fleet combat, then absolutely get it but only (in my opinion) on two conditions:

1) There is a local scene and you don’t mind selling your stuff at a loss at some point when that folds.

OR

2) Like me you can afford to buy at least two fleets worth of ships (1 of each faction) and treat it like a very expensive addition to your board game collection you can invite friends around to play.  I store it under my bed in a giant box next to similar investments like Kingdom Death Monster, X-Wing 1.0, Imperial Assault, and Memoir 44.  Each cost £200-£500 and I invite a group over a couple times a year to play them.  FFG’s lack of support is irrelevant - I have a complete game and will enjoy it for years to come.

3 hours ago, Bakura83 said:

Hi Matthew.

The answer depends on what type of gamer you are.  If you can only enjoy the game as a competitive sport and live to list build/strategise/compete and can only enjoy investing in a game that provides regular competitive play locally, don’t buy it.  There are cheaper, better supported options.

If you want to own an excellent Star Wars miniatures game that does a really good job of simulating space fleet combat, then absolutely get it but only (in my opinion) on two conditions:

1) There is a local scene and you don’t mind selling your stuff at a loss at some point when that folds.

OR

2) Like me you can afford to buy at least two fleets worth of ships (1 of each faction) and treat it like a very expensive addition to your board game collection you can invite friends around to play.  I store it under my bed in a giant box next to similar investments like Kingdom Death Monster, X-Wing 1.0, Imperial Assault, and Memoir 44.  Each cost £200-£500 and I invite a group over a couple times a year to play them.  FFG’s lack of support is irrelevant - I have a complete game and will enjoy it for years to come.

This can be a frustrating take for some enthusiasts  but I certainly have experienced it.

I personally recommend any board game player start by finding local fellow players they can enjoy gaming with.  The best games are no fun if you can't find opponents.  Certainly they're no fun if you've invested hundreds of dollars and can't find anyone to play against. 

25 minutes ago, thecactusman17 said:

This can be a frustrating take for some enthusiasts  but I certainly have experienced it.

I personally recommend any board game player start by finding local fellow players they can enjoy gaming with.  The best games are no fun if you can't find opponents.  Certainly they're no fun if you've invested hundreds of dollars and can't find anyone to play against. 

Completely agree.  My “local” scene is the boardgamers I’ve gotten into Armada who I play other games with.  Only one of them has actually gone out and bought his own collection, the others are very happy to enjoy it but would never buy it, but I love Armada and don’t mind having enough to loan.  We’ve made a twice yearly event of it.

So again, Matthew, if like me you think Armada looks like the coolest thing ever and you have peeps who would play it then yes imo the investment is worth it.

Think of it as a really cheap GW alternative.  Buy two “armies”, it’s already painted, and it may never be updated again so no new rules/expansions to buy. 😂

Oh and then use the rest of the time and money it would have cost to actually get and paint two GW armies and start a small local business: this will allow you to earn more money to spend on games and give you a place to store/play games with out disrupting your home life.

Edited by Bakura83