Kingsguard

What is hyperspace format?

It's a format for game play that allows only specific ships and upgrade cards for play. The list of what is legal is included on the points PDFs on FFG's website. It's also built into most major squad builders, though they likely default to Extended format. The availability of ships and upgrades will change twice a year - if things go as planned anyway.

The intent is it makes it easier to balance the game and prevent lopsided squad building. It also makes it easier on a new player for entry into the game.

Not everybody likes the idea. It sounds fun to me.

Edited by LagJanson
Fixed the link

5 minutes ago, Dwing said:

Seems a bit redundant? How is it easier for new players? 

1. There is so much less to consider in a limited format. A huge part to winning games is knowing what the upgrades of your opponent do. Fewer upgrades/pilots make that much easier and simpler.
  2. Only allowing ships that are actually sold directly improves accessibility. Having to buy components of a different game (1.0) and a conversion kit to allow a competitive squad is an entry barrier.

9 minutes ago, Dwing said:

3) From a gaming/list building standpoint, there are significantly fewer pilots and upgrades to sort through, making it easier for people who are new at the game to consider all the available options.

4) The buy-in cost for new players is reduced.

Edited by Maui.
ninja'd

3 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:
  1. There is so much less to consider in a limited format. A huge part to winning games is knowing what the upgrades of your opponent do. Fewer upgrades/pilots make that much easier and simpler.
  2. Only allowing ships that are actually sold directly improves accessibility. Having to buy components of a different game (1.0) and a conversion kit to allow a competitive squad is an entry barrier.

The argument for 2) sort of falls apart though, when there are so many ships that are Hyperspace legal that haven't actually been re-released yet.

2 minutes ago, Maui. said:

3) From a gaming/list building standpoint, there are significantly fewer pilots and upgrades to sort through, making it easier for people who are new at the game to consider all the available options.

4) The buy-in cost for new players is reduced.

4) How so? New player buys a core set and whatever they want to play. Regardless of format. Done. You don't have to buy everything.

17 minutes ago, Dwing said:

Say you have bought every ship Empire had in 1.0.
Now someone who has started X-Wing only in 2.0 with buying Coreset and Wave 0-1 focusing on Empire only.
At this moment he has Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced and Reaper (as it has 2.0 too) with Striker coming in wave 3.
While Extended Empire has 14 different ships I believe.

So it might not make it "easier", but it makes the playing field level and equal where newer players don't have to worry about ships they can't buy from a store or have to rely on 3rd party sellers that might or might not have that one particular ship.

So 14 different ships vs. 4 different ships.

Just now, Eisai said:

The argument for 2) sort of falls apart though, when there are so many ships that are Hyperspace legal that haven't actually been re-released yet.

4) How so? New player buys a core set and whatever they want to play. Regardless of format. Done. You don't have to buy everything.

Because Hyperspace has a lot more list building options that don't require conversion kits.

1 hour ago, Kingsguard said:

?

The hyperspace format is designed to incentivize the sale of new faction ships to veteren x-wing players by banning 90% of "old" 2.0 content.  All the regional and national events will be in this format.  Its clear FFG is pushing this format over all other formats.

Basically, hyperspace format is a money grab format.

People will falsly claim this format is better for new players and better for balance.  They are wrong and suffer from cognitive dissonance.  The reality is, a scum, rebel, and empire conversion kit is by far the best value for money.  Its litteraly a faction in a box.  I would 100% recommend a new player to buy a core and 1 faction in a box if it were not for hyperspace.  Why?  Because it gives a new players ALL of the cards they need (except for 0-0-0, hate, etc bc FFG lied).  A new player doesnt need to decide which ships they need to buy for which upgrade,  they just get them all (except for the ones FFG lied about).

As for balance, FFG created an app and designed the game to be balanced.  They have the means to balance the game but right now CHOOSE NOT TO.  They will only balance the game twice a year.  This has nothing to do with the formats.  The reality is this gaming is hermoganing players and FFG must see this as a money loser.  So they created a format that forces existing players to buy into the new faction ships to milk as much money out of the die hards before this game finially dies.

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

It's a format for game play that allows only specific ships and upgrade cards for play. The list of what is legal is included on the points PDFs on FFG's website. It's also built into most major squad builders, though they likely default to Extended format. The availability of ships and upgrades will change twice a year - if things go as planned anyway.

The intent is it makes it easier to balance the game and prevent lopsided squad building. It also makes it easier on a new player for entry into the game.

Not everybody likes the idea. It sounds fun to me.

@Rexler Brath - Curious - The above statement is not pitching nor slanting the discussion and was about as neutral as I could make it. I earned a confused emote from you, which normally I take as a badge of pride. Which statement in the above triggered you this time? I must know so I may repeat it more often.

5 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

@Rexler Brath - Curious - The above statement is not pitching nor slanting the discussion and was about as neutral as I could make it. I earned a confused emote from you, which normally I take as a badge of pride. Which statement in the above triggered you this time? I must know so I may repeat it more often.

He won't engage. I don't understand why his account hasn't been banned yet. And I wonder which alt account he uses.

It is a format that consists all of the ships, pilots, upgrades from 2.0 expansions (or expansions that have 2.0 components like Saw's Renegades) and few select ships, pilots, upgrades, from extended. It is the format OP is pushing for competitive play and going to be the format for their premier tournament events. 

Currently the format has been heavily truncated for diversity(:huh:) with all factions on average having only 4 playable ships. Most of the Wave 3 conversion kits are excluded while almost all of the wave 2 conversion kits are playable. Wave 3 will also be (presumably) playable since they didn't exists in 1st edition (save for 1 ship). 

All this "taken" care of new players by allowing fewer ships, falls a bit flat, I would think most players that played 1.0 for years would be able to beat new players anyways. Also for new players, we are only on wave 2 regarding upgrades and such, people are playing the same 3 epts or none anyways right?

Edited by Dwing

6 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Truncated for Diversity

Title of your sex tape.

Hey, that is the reason they gave us in the article.

Oh I forgot to add in redefining. OrgPlay is getting a little kinky these days.

At the same time, by redefining and truncating the list of potential squad builds within the Hyperspace game mode, we make it easier for newer players to explore these options—and, importantly, to afford the starship expansions that introduce the pilots and upgrades they hope to fly.

As the Hyperspace game mode keeps the game fresh, it adds to the ways you can enjoy competitive X-Wing, and it helps make the game and its competitive environment more accessible to newer players. All of this results in more diversity.

Edited by Marinealver

Soooo.... Hope this answers your question on what the hyperspace format is, @Kingsguard. At this point, we'd like to return the forum to it's natural state of mental (im)balance and debate the value of the format within your thread.

If you enjoyed watching our insanity, I encourage your continued reading through the next six pages of mayhem, destruction, burning bridges, strawmen and the odd tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist. It's a fun ride down!

54 minutes ago, Lace Jetstreamer said:

The reality is, a scum, rebel, and empire conversion kit is by far the best value for money.  Its litteraly a faction in a box.  I would 100% recommend a new player to buy a core and 1 faction in a box if it were not for hyperspace.  Why?  Because it gives a new players ALL of the cards they need (except for 0-0-0, hate, etc bc FFG lied).  A new player doesnt need to decide which ships they need to buy for which upgrade,  they just get them all

Two points:

First of all, they'll still need the models.  So, it may be cheaper if they can find--and are willing to purchase-- a large number of ships, but it's actually a bit more expensive if they're just buying a handful, assuming they can find the 1.0 ships they want in the first place.  Which leads to...

Secondly, how long will this remain true?  I've seen no indication that the conversion kits will be reprinted, and even if they are, the more popular models are already getting harder to find.  The next time they're reprinted will likely be in 2.0 version, which won't require a conversion kit anyway.  Your advice is good for the present, but remarkably short-sighted as far as the future of the game goes.

2 minutes ago, teholbedict said:

Why Milenium Falcon is allowed in rebels in that hyperspace format? I thought it is only the expansions that were published as 2.0.

Not exclusively.  Most ships are 2.0, but they seem to be throwing a few Extended ships into the mix to add a little variety for veterans. 

2 hours ago, Eisai said:

The only Hyperspace-legal ships that haven't been re-released yet are the Rebel Falcon, TIE Striker, and half of the Resistance/FO stuff. The Striker comes out in wave 3, at which point 4 out of the 7 factions will consist entirely of ships that have been released in 2.0.

2 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

The only Hyperspace-legal ships that haven't been re-released yet are the Rebel Falcon, TIE Striker, and half of the Resistance/FO stuff. The Striker comes out in wave 3, at which point 4 out of the 7 factions will consist entirely of ships that have been released in 2.0.

Also, I would expect the Rebel Falcon to be pretty high up on the list for Rebel releases.