Sign in to follow this  
ScummyRebel

The “Hondo” operative thread

2 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

As much as I would almost prefer to be able to field an entire Weequay pirate army with Hondo as the Commander, I would at least like to see him added to the game as an all faction Operative. 

The beauty of him being all-faction operative is that he could easily transition if FFG ever has the desire to make said pirate army. Just include a commander rank token and card with the essentials or whatever they include to start up the pirate faction 

Would like to see Hondo on the table. 

I think it would be best to release him as a multi-pack. Hondo with a group of pirates (yes, a lizard monkey on his shoulder).

I cant see him being a army leader for Legion purposes but a pirate army would be neat! 

18 minutes ago, WAC47 said:

(Joke mechanic incoming)

Command Card: Double Cross

After you issue orders, you may choose to give control of Hondo Ohnaka to your oppponent for the rest of the game. If you do, earn 1 Victory Point. 

How about an ability on his card:

To the Highest Bidder: before the place forces step, control of this unit is transferred to the Blue player for the remainder of the game.

Let the bidding wars commence!

45 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

As much as I would almost prefer to be able to field an entire Weequay pirate army with Hondo as the Commander, I would at least like to see him added to the game as an all faction Operative. 

I'll vote for the all faction version or multiple cards, one for each faction as long as one of those is a Scum Mercenary faction #need5faction5

5 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I'll vote for the all faction version or multiple cards, one for each faction as long as one of those is a Scum Mercenary faction #need5nowdog5

Fixed it for you, Tracy.

I think he would be a good idea as a super cheap operative who has a good chance of changing sides, perhaps multiple times each game.

He definitely tends to always go with who he thinks is winning.

He could have rules something like this,

45 points: 4 hit points. Courage 2. Red Defense. Surge Defense: Block. Surge Attack: Hit. Speed 1-3.

Low Profile. Uncanny Luck 2.

Upgrade Bar: 1 Training, 2 Gear, 1 Grenade.

Melee: 2 black die. Ranged: Hondo's Blaster: range 1-2. 1 Red 1 Black.

I can get you a great deal on that!: During list creation, select one friendly unit. It may equip up to 10 points of Grenade, Comms, or Gear upgrade cards for free.

Thats just good business!: Whenever this model suffers a wound, or a friendly unit within range 1 is destroyed, your opponent gains control of this unit. Remove all of Hondo's remaining command cards from your Command Deck and place them in your opponent's Command Deck. Remove Hondo's order token and place it in your opponent's order pool.

This is mine!: After deployment, but before the first turn, place 2 Treasure Tokens on the field. These tokens must be beyond range 2 of your deployment zone. Hondo may pick up a treasure token he is in base contact with as a Free Action. Each Treasure token Hondo is holding at the end of the game is worth 1 Victory Point.

We have a deal!: You must include Hondo's 3 Pip command card in your command deck.

Command Cards

You lied to me? I knew I liked you!

1 Pip: Hondo and 1 Friendly Unit.

When a friendly unit is issued a faceup order token, it may perform a free move action and gain 1 Dodge token.

Where is my treasure?

2 Pip: Hondo

When Hondo is issued a Faceup order token, place a treasure token in base contact with Hondo.

Can't we work out a deal?

3 Pip: Hondo

At the end of Hondo's activation, you may shuffle his order back into the order pool and regain 1 wound. At the end of Hondo's 2nd activation, he suffers a wound. At the end of the command phase, return this card to your hand.

It's interesting.  You've got to have the ability for Hondo to switch sides, he's got to be playing with fire, strong but you there's a chance he's going to screw you over.

Mercurial/Out for himself - Any time the players both play the same pip value of card (FAQ Sorry About the Mess is considered a 1 pip card for purposes of this keyword) Hondo switches his allegiance.  

Hondo's Treasure: The player NOT controlling Hondo at the end of the game gains a victory point.  If Hondo is dead no one gains a victory point from this. 

Because of this you have to have him in your list to use his command cards, but you hadn't have to own him to play those command cards.  These would also not center on him, but rather on the actual leaders of your force.  

So like...

Hondo 1 - "Blasters, cannons, that glowy thing..." (alternate title "Be a pirate jedi.") 1 non-unique Unit : The unit that is assigned a faceup order token by this card may perform an additional attack action this turn in addition to their normal turn.  Suppression does not cancel this extra attack action.  

Hondo 2 - "Speak softly and drive a big tank!" 2 Vehicles: Each vehicle given a face up order token can do an attack that puts an Ion on vehicles or an immobilize on non-vehicles for this turn. Call it Ion Nets or something.

Hondo 3 - "Right down the middle: 50/40" 4 Non-unique units you can 2 dodge tokens and two aim tokens.  Each unit assigned an order from this card may be given one of these tokens (but not two)

Edited by Zrob314

I’m liking the ideas of how he’s good but could screw you over. Very thematic.

I would absolutely play him in a list for fun games at home or at the FLGS league night. Maybe not tournaments but you know what - there’s more to life than tourney hotness. I really play lots of units I just like. I’d give him a go, especially if he was cheaper than Chewie or Boba.

Hondo perfectly expresses what I want from mercenaries in this game. Some, like Boba Fett, have built relationships with one side which they wouldn’t jeopardize. Hence, Fett counts as Imperial. 

Others, like Hondo, work with whomever offers them the best advantage. Hence, the idea of a multi-faction unit, with variable loyalty, seems perfect. I don’t see the mercs getting into full scale military battles with most especially the Empire. 

Mercenaries as a faction make sense in X-wing (small dogfights) and IA (small squads, a la a special forces group or something...), but they feel out of place for Legion and Armada in my opinion. 

For Hondo, I like the idea above of tying his loyalty to initiative, or to VP. If we add weequay pirates as a corps unit, their loyalty should also be variable, maybe tied to suppression. Instead of panicking, when their suppression reaches twice their courage, they remove all suppression and switch sides? That way, Hondo’s crew can turn on him and stab him in the back?

6 hours ago, MarekMandalore said:

For Hondo, I like the idea above of tying his loyalty to initiative, or to VP. If we add weequay pirates as a corps unit, their loyalty should also be variable, maybe tied to suppression. Instead of panicking, when their suppression reaches twice their courage, they remove all suppression and switch sides? That way, Hondo’s crew can turn on him and stab him in the back?

That would be cool. They would have to be relatively cheap and strong to make them worth the risk though.

Something like,

Pirate Crew: 4 models. 30 points

Hit points 1. Courage 2.

Red Defense Die: Surges: None

Melee: 1 black die. Ranged: Scavenged A-280 Blaster range 1-3. 2 white dice.

Special Rules: Low Profile

Treacherous: If this unit would become panicked, instead it removes all suppression tokens and comes under control of your opponent. If the unit had not yet been allocated an order thus turn, remove its order token from your random pool and place it in your opponent's random pool.

7 point card for an additional trooper(saying it may be equipped twice) with two personnel upgrade slots.

Edited by BadMotivator

While I do love the idea of Hondo being basically a double-edged sword, I doubt we will see him with a mechanic of changing sides mid-game (even though it would be VERY much in character for him). The idea is great, the execution, well... most of above solutions does seem clunky. 

What's more likely is that Hondo will get a flavor more akin to his Armada incarnation - doing sth that on paper supports both sides, but a cunning player will use it to his/her advantage. Handing out token is a good example of what I have in mind, like:

[free action]: choose one friendly unit at range 1 and one enemy unit a range 1-2. Chosen friendly unit gains either 1 dodge token or 1 aim token. Then, if it gained a dodge token, the chosen enemy unit gains 1 aim token or if it gained an aim token, the chosen enemy unit gains 1 dodge token.

Also, I'd give him low courage (1 most likely), but a choice of 2-3 free actions like the one above, and low Wounds Threshold (like 3) but also a set of defensive skills like Uncanny Luck 2 (high, but less than Han), Danger Sense 3 (high, but less than Jyn) and Low Profile. Not sure on his upgrades slots, Gear most likely, but deffo not Command, and Training seem kind of outta place. Also, Teamwork with one unit out of 4 factions: Ezra, Kenobi, Dooku and... Kallus maybe? Pryce if she's released.

As an Operative I would actually make his cards about others than himself - you know, all not get blamed ;) Example:

1 pip
1 Unique Unit or 1 Unit with Uniqe upgrade

When an uniqe unit is issued an order, it may perform a free move action and gains 1 aim and 1 dodge token. Then, your opponent can issue an additional order to a unit at range 1-2 of that uniqe unit.

The more I consider him, the more I like the idea of him. To make him work within the game would require a lot of tinkering, so I guess I have my next boring day at work covered :D