Sign in to follow this  
dalestephenson

Roster of characters

1 hour ago, dalestephenson said:

I:6 The Old Forest

Old Man Willow (enemy)

*Tom Bombadil

*Goldberry

Bombadil does have a boon associated with him, but no ally.  Like Sauron, his power level is not comparable with anything we have in the game, so any card would underrate him.

True. Better for him to appear in a very powerful event form maybe neutral,limit 1 per deck as a group and going into the victory display.

I:9 At the Sign of the Prancing Pony

*Harry Goatleaf

*Nob

*Bob

Will Whitfoot

*Mr. Mugwort

Harry didn't make the enemy cut for Knife in the Dark, and also failed to be a suspect in the murder mystery.  We also have four more named hobbits (though only the Mayor has both first and last names).  Nob and Bob are at least helpful enough in the main narrative to warrant ally cards.

I:11 A Knife in the Dark

[Gil-galad]

[Luthien Tinuviel]

[*Beren]

[Barahir]

[Thingol]

[Dior]

[Elwing the White]

[Earendil]

Thanks to Sam and Strider, we are introduced to eight great names from the past, but only Beren is given actual dialogue in a poem, and that's merely "Tinuviel! Tinuviel!"  We also meet Bill the Pony, but he's not named yet.  Melkor/Morgoth is referred to, but not named.

Edited by dalestephenson

3 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

I:11 A Knife in the Dark

[Gil-galad]

[Luthien Tinuviel]

[*Beren]

[Barahir]

[Thingol]

[Dior]

[Elwing the White]

[Earendil]

Thanks to Sam and Strider, we are introduced to eight great names from the past, but only Beren is given actual dialogue in a poem, and that's merely "Tinuviel! Tinuviel!"  We also meet Bill the Pony, but he's not named yet.  Melkor/Morgoth is referred to, but not named.

Meaning a lot of potential cards from the first age if designers ever want to....

I:12 Flight to the Ford

*Tom

*Glorfindel (Lo hero, Sp hero, Sp ally)

Tom is fictional in LOTR, Sam making him up on the spot, but he has dialogue in Sam's song along with the unnamed trolls.  We also meet the three Trolls from the Hobbit (sort of), but they are named here.  Glorfindel is well represented in the game, unlike how he's treated in movie versions.

II:1 Many Meetings

*Arwen (Sp hero, Sp ally, objective ally)

*Gloin (Le hero, Le ally)

[*Thorin Oakenshield] (Le hero)

Grimbeorn the Old (Ta hero, objective ally)

[*Beorn] (Ta hero, Ta ally) I'm assuming death before 3001

[*Bard the Bowman] (Ta hero) d.2977

Bain son of Bard, d. 3007

Brand son of Bain (Le hero, Ta hero)

*Dain Ironfoot (Le hero, Sp hero)

*Dwalin (Sp hero, Sp ally)

*Dori (Ta hero, Lo ally)

*Nori (Sp hero)

*Bifur (Lo hero, Lo ally)

*Bofur (Sp ally, Ta ally)

*Bombur (Lo hero, Lo ally)

[*Balin] (Le hero)

[*Ori] (Lo hero)

[*Oin] (Sp hero)

Elladan (Ta hero, Lo ally)

*Elrohir (Le hero, Sp ally)

*Lindir (Sp ally)

While it's a shame that all the dwarves don't have both hero and ally versions, the named characters here are well represented, except for poor Bain son of Bard who died 6 years after the party, yet becomes the lone named Barding to be left out of the game.  Maybe later.

I've got to say that Lindir's art, combined with the flavor text, makes him look like an arrogant jerk to me.  But he actually gave that line laughing and was the lone elf to actually ask to hear Bilbo's poem again, so he deserves to be remembered fondly (by Bilbo, at least).

II:2 The Council of Elrond

*Gimli (Le hero, Ta hero, Le ally)

*Erestor (Lo hero, Le ally)

*Galdor (Lo hero, Lo ally)

*Cirdan (Sp hero)

*Legolas (Sp hero, Ta hero, Ta ally)

*Thranduil (Le hero)

*Boromir (Le hero, Ta hero, Ta ally)

[Thror]

[Celebrimbor]

[Anarion]

[Ohtar]

[Valandil]

[Meneldil]

*Denethor (Le hero, Lo hero, Le ally)

*Radagast the Brown (N ally)

*Gwaihir the Windlord (Ta ally)

Shadowfax (N attachment)

[Thrain]

[Hador]

[Hurin]

[Turin]

Lot of new names introduced, but the living all have cards.  I'd like to see hero versions of Radagast and Gwaihir

Edited by dalestephenson

Well, there's Narvi's Belt, Daeron's Runes, and both Legacy of Durin and Durin's Song, so even some of these long-gone characters actually are represented in the game, just not as allies/heroes!

II:5 The Bridge of Khazad-Dum

[Floi]

[Frar]

[Loni]

[Nali]

The Watcher in the Water (two enemies)

The four named are dwarves of Balin's company, perishing before Bilbo's farewell feast.  If the designers decided to use the full period between Hobbit and LOTR, they would have more characters available to them.

The mention of Thorin Oakenshield, I had always wondered if we would get another version, your post reminded me that we only got him as part of the hobbit box and that he isn't alive in the time of our game

II:6 Lothlorien

[Nimrodel]

[Amroth]

*Haldir (Lo hero, Lo ally)

Rumil (Ta ally)

Orophin (Le ally)

Either Rumil or Orophin was likely the unnamed elf that said "Yrch!" to Frodo -- most likely Rumil, as Orophin went off in haste to warn of the orcs.  The Lord and Lady of the Galadhrim are referred to in this chapter (especially the Lady), but not yet named.