Jump to content
SpiderMana

It isn’t Guardians of the Republic.

Recommended Posts

Definitely not the news I was hoping for (I really want an in-depth look at the Jedi Starfighters), but this seems to confirm something I was hoping for regarding Hyperspace. The article doesn't outright say it, but the language seems to imply that ships will rotate every 6 months for the format. I'm on board for that kind of limited format for sure. If they had just said that it would rotate from the beginning then I doubt people would've been so annoyed by it's many omissions. I know that's what had me concerned, since it was starting to look like it was going to be the official "buy the new plastic" format. Here's hoping that in 6 months, we'll see hyperspace populated with completely different ships from it's current offerings, for the first three factions anyway since it's pretty doubtful that the other 4 will get that many new options in such a short time.

EDIT/PS: Just wanted to point out that some of the repaints they showed off in the article are amazing. That red de-cloaking Silencer blew me away. The Defender looks pretty boss too, with that logo on the solar panel it's pretty epic looking.

Edited by Hippie Moosen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Here's hoping that in 6 months, we'll see hyperspace populated with completely different ships from it's current offerings, for the first three factions anyway since it's pretty doubtful that the other 4 will get that many new options in such a short time.

I'm getting the same vibes, but I guess I don't want to get my hopes up too much? As you pointed out, rotating ships isn't plausible for the new factions. So will they stagnate while the OG factions cycle through stuff? That seems weird to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

I'm getting the same vibes, but I guess I don't want to get my hopes up too much? As you pointed out, rotating ships isn't plausible for the new factions. So will they stagnate while the OG factions cycle through stuff? That seems weird to me.

Hoping some stalwarts in all factions don’t rotate. Example, the X-Wing for Rebels and the TIE Fighter for Imperials. That would be ideal, some locked in staples and some rotation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Hoping some stalwarts in all factions don’t rotate. Example, the X-Wing for Rebels and the TIE Fighter for Imperials. That would be ideal, some locked in staples and some rotation.

 

Definitely another thing I'd be happy to see. It wouldn't make much sense to be playing X-wing, and be told that flying X-wing's is illegal. :P 

19 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

As you pointed out, rotating ships isn't plausible for the new factions. So will they stagnate while the OG factions cycle through stuff? That seems weird to me.

This is probably the biggest challenge with the new factions. Hopefully they can get one or two new ships each to keep them fresh. That should be just enough to have them rotate out something but for the most part they will probably feel a little samey. Could be wrong though. Wave 4 might be nothing but stuff for the 4 new factions after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Here's hoping that in 6 months, we'll see hyperspace populated with completely different ships from it's current offerings, for the first three factions anyway since it's pretty doubtful that the other 4 will get that many new options in such a short time.

I expect some different ships, but keep in mind that Hyperspace is also supposed to be accessible for newer players.  I think there will always be at least a couple options for each faction that are fully 2.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kris40k said:

Oh, this thread ends well...

Hopefully better than the last. So please be civil.

Looks like the heated discussion just maybe was one of the reasons for this news article. 

"With the Hyperspace game mode, players gain more ways to play X-Wing—additional game modes that receive the full support of Organized Play."

So, hopefully this reads as "full support for Hyperspace" as well as "full support for Extended". Guess we will see.

But why can't they just say clearly what they intent, this still sounds like a lot of PR marketing spin speech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

I'm getting the same vibes, but I guess I don't want to get my hopes up too much? As you pointed out, rotating ships isn't plausible for the new factions. So will they stagnate while the OG factions cycle through stuff? That seems weird to me.

I mean, they can thematically justify cutting the starfortress from resistance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

I expect some different ships, but keep in mind that Hyperspace is also supposed to be accessible for newer players.  I think there will always be at least a couple options for each faction that are fully 2.0.

Yeah, since Hyperspace is meant to be more welcoming to newbies, it wouldn't be able to do that without at least a few 2.0 available ships. I wasn't clear enough when I brought up rotation. While I never stated it, I fully believe that a rotation in this game simply can't function without Stalwarts as @LagJanson called them. I could've worded it better so here's another shot. I really hope that Rebels, Imperials, and Scum only retain 1 or 2 of their current options for hyperspace, should things actually rotate. They each have this massive glut of old ships, so letting them change out most of their ships each rotation makes sense to me. It's also likely to keep more players happy in the long run, since ship selection is a big part of why so many people (myself included) have been complaining about hyperspace. 

That's more what I meant, when I said I want the options to be completely different after 6 months. I want T-65's and Tie/ln's to be a constant presence in Hyperspace, but I want their squad mates to radically change each 6 months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

...I just realized.

If they're going to rotate ships out of legality as well, we're going to go through the whole "I paid for this ship; I should be able to play it!" ordeal again the first time a 2.0 ship leaves.

Oh man, FFG just can't win. We just managed to get some of us over our Hyperspace salt with this little hypothetical, and now we've gone and found ourselves another mine full of it.

X-wing miniature forums, you will never find a more wretched hive of salt and pedantry. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

Oh man, FFG just can't win. We just managed to get some of us over our Hyperspace salt with this little hypothetical, and now we've gone and found ourselves another mine full of it.

X-wing miniature forums, you will never find a more wretched hive of salt and pedantry. 😂

The only way FFG was ever going to win was a perfectly balanced Extended format where everything is competitive and appropriately costed. Not impossible, but certainly a long way from easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

I'm getting the same vibes, but I guess I don't want to get my hopes up too much? As you pointed out, rotating ships isn't plausible for the new factions. So will they stagnate while the OG factions cycle through stuff? That seems weird to me.

No, they will be getting brand new ships that go right into Hyperpsace mode.  The factions with huge pools of ships (Rebs/Imps/Scum} will see rotation because they have a large roster to choose from.  Eventually, instead of Hyperspace = Extended, you'll have All Factions Rotate.

57 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

...I just realized.

If they're going to rotate ships out of legality as well, we're going to go through the whole "I paid for this ship; I should be able to play it!" ordeal again the first time a 2.0 ship leaves.

Yeah, people are just going to have to get over that.

Seriously, no one can play their entire collection at any one time anyways.  If you were planning on being on the track that is now Hyperspace, you would probably have confined yourself to a tiny pool of ships that was your list that you needed to practice with.

The only change is the theory that you could, in fact, chose to populate your list with the subpar ships from your collection.  As if anyone would.

BUT, if Hyperspace demands those ships, you do in fact get the increased diversity the FFG is promising.

Failing missions and the like, curating the ship rosters for Hyperspace is the one of the most cunning ways to get 2nd tier ships into the lists of 1st tier players.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hippie Moosen said:

<snip>

EDIT/PS: Just wanted to point out that some of the repaints they showed off in the article are amazing. That red de-cloaking Silencer blew me away. The Defender looks pretty boss too, with that logo on the solar panel it's pretty epic looking.

Agreed. I really appreciated them using repaints in article.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JJ48 said:

...I just realized.

If they're going to rotate ships out of legality as well, we're going to go through the whole "I paid for this ship; I should be able to play it!" ordeal again the first time a 2.0 ship leaves.

I will make it legal... by playing in Extended format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hippie Moosen said:

EDIT/PS: Just wanted to point out that some of the repaints they showed off in the article are amazing. That red de-cloaking Silencer blew me away. The Defender looks pretty boss too, with that logo on the solar panel it's pretty epic looking.

Is that the dark angels symbol on the defender? Would make sense with the color scheme.

 

If so, praise the emperor!

Edited by RafaelNN
The emperor of mankind had to be shown respect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×