SpiderMana

It isn’t Guardians of the Republic.

22 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Another idea would be to create squadrons; the T-65 is always Hyperspace legal (and in print}, but this year you can only fly Blue Squadron--pick up your 2019 Hyperspace pack now for Merrick and crew!!

Season of Scariff? Let’s do this thing!

And, yeah, the easy answer would be, in such a scenario, to tie the pilot or season pack to reprints if the ships themselves. It’s, logically, simple. Logistically? Well that’s for FFG to work out.

15 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Hyperspace: we can't balance the game, so we'll ban 90% of it! 😆

You believe Extended will be hopelessly unbalanced, then?

23 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

You believe Extended will be hopelessly unbalanced, then?

Personally, I think Extended will become Trickle Down X-Wing and they'll ban the really toxic stuff, but otherwise not give it too much attention.

Sadly, I think the main way it would become a trainwreck is for them to pay too much attention to it and actively balance it.  Let it be, let it grow, and cull the outliers.

Edited by Darth Meanie

4 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Personally, I think Extended will become Trickle Down X-Wing and they'll ban the really toxic stuff, but otherwise not give it too much attention.

Sadly, I think the main way it would become a trainwreck is for them to pay too much attention to it and actively balance it.  Let it be, let it grow, and cull the outliers.

So leave the official Systems Opens out to hang? Their format is extended (I think Worlds is as well). Let FFG give balancing both a go and see what happens. We haven't even hit the first post boot balancing pass for 2.0 yet.

11 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Interesting. A kind of ghetto X-Wing, where players are encouraged to be guinea pigs.

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

So leave the official Systems Opens out to hang? Their format is extended (I think Worlds is as well). Let FFG give balancing both a go and see what happens. We haven't even hit the first post boot balancing pass for 2.0 yet.

I haven't seen anywhere that FFG has stated if the "invite-only" Worlds is going to be Hyperspace or Extended. I know better than to try and use any kind of logic to try and determine which route they will go here. I'm sure there are arguments for either format for Worlds and there is always the possibility that they will go with something different than either like they did with the Coruscant Invitational.

1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

I wonder, since you can get to Worlds by playing either format, if Worlds will have a bit of both? Players have to bring a list for each and show they can hold their own in either?

Possible just as a mandatory voted upgrade is possible. We'll see towards the end of this year.

12 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

That's gimmicky, though, less Worlds-caliber.

Gimmicky or not, it threw a twist into the list building at the last Invitational that the players had to strategize around, much like Hyperspace format would. So it is a possibility.

3 hours ago, Koing907 said:

Interesting. A kind of ghetto X-Wing, where players are encouraged to be guinea pigs.

We all became guinea pigs the moment they stopped putting all the ship stats on the cards.

3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

No, just a very light touch.

My view would be to never worry about anything that wasn't a monster.  And those don't get balanced, they get booted.

4 hours ago, SOTL said:

It'll be differently unbalanced, and that will be a refreshing change.

"Differently unbalanced," you say?  Why, that's just non-specific enough to earn my support!

12 hours ago, LordBlades said:

On the other hand, do you believe Hyperspace will NOT be unbalanced then? 

**** no. It might be less blatant than Extended, but I'm sure clear choices will rise to the top, and it will form a mini-meta. I'm not smurt enough to predict which ships/pilots those will be (I have my suspicions), but I'm experienced enough to know it will happen.

14 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

**** no. It might be less blatant than Extended, but I'm sure clear choices will rise to the top, and it will form a mini-meta. I'm not smurt enough to predict which ships/pilots those will be (I have my suspicions), but I'm experienced enough to know it will happen.

I'm curious about this. How do you define "unbalanced"? 

This makes it sound like you equate imbalance with the existence of a meta, which I would consider two extremely different things. I wouldn't consider something being good synonymous with that thing being imbalanced.

8 minutes ago, svelok said:

I'm curious about this. How do you define "unbalanced"? 

This makes it sound like you equate imbalance with the existence of a meta, which I would consider two extremely different things. I wouldn't consider something being good synonymous with that thing being imbalanced.

I define unbalanced as a... thing (pilot, upgrade, combo of them) being so superior to other choices that it "beats" them. Nymranda from 1.0 jokingly being called the "Final Form", for example. 
A meta isn't necessarily a bad thing, if there's lots of stuff in it. In that post, I'm talking about the X-Wing meta, which is dominated by certain choices.