On 1/24/2019 at 1:18 AM, penpenpen said:

Well, of course it does. Silly me!

That should let it deal with any force power. Not sure it'd work against Scathing Tirade though.

I'm relatively sure Protect prevents damage, and Scathing Tirade doesn't inflict damage - it just inflicts Strain directly, bypassing things that interact with damage such as Soak (though Resolve works since its involuntary Strain).

22 minutes ago, Silim said:

I'm relatively sure Protect prevents damage, and Scathing Tirade doesn't inflict damage - it just inflicts Strain directly, bypassing things that interact with damage such as Soak (though Resolve works since its involuntary Strain).

That'd be my interpretation as well, but I'd be interested to hear arguments to the opposite. 

2 hours ago, DaverWattra said:

Best protection against Scathing Tirade is probably a Verpine Headband so you don't drop when your strain goes to zero, combined with Ebb/Flow and a talent like Intense Presence to heal up strain.

How about playing a deaf character and turning off your hearing aid?

13 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Or just wearing sound-cancelling headphones. Might even be an option in the helmets of some armors.

13 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Well, RAW doesn't state that the target needs to hear you... I guess yelling at people in sign language is a viable option.

Or just the tried and true classic of delivering a sick burn via protest sign. 

2eb3fb0cdaf2d0ada8be1ff71c521a8e.jpg

Edited by penpenpen

On 1/20/2019 at 4:49 AM, HappyDaze said:

Nope. As you're operating as a vehicle, you would need to take a Fly/Drive maneuver to go anywhere. Time to Go specifically gives you a Move maneuver (it's capitalized in the text because it is a specific maneuver) which is an on-foot personal scale thing, so you'd go nowhere. BOOM!☠️

Um, double nope actually. According to the FAQ, a character using a jetpack in personal scale still operates at personal scale (so no Fly/Drive, just Move) but allows movement to any range band with a single maneuver. In effect, it gives your Move maneuver infinite range. So it totally works with Time to Go. (You know, as long as your GM isn't a stick in the mud, since the FAQ does say that all of this is at GM discretion.)

3500 (earned) XP is enough to start with a human Sentinel (shadow) and almost completely max out the Shadow, Sentry, Shien Expert, Force Sensitive Emergent, Force Sensitive Exile, and Makashi Duelist trees, as well as max out the Enhance, Influence, Misdirect, and Sense force powers as well as max out all career skills (including the two extra from Well Rounded).

I'd be a ghost - go anywhere, do anything, and nobody would ever know I could completely rewrite Destiny in their presence.

Soak and Wound would be irrelevant - nobody would ever be able to get a shot off against me. Especially with all those ranks in Dodge, Parry, and Reflect

Edited by ghost warlock

11 minutes ago, ghost warlock said:

3500 (earned) XP is enough to start with a human Sentinel (shadow) and almost completely max out the Shadow, Sentry, Shien Expert, Force Sensitive Emergent, Force Sensitive Exile, and Makashi Duelist trees, as well as max out the Enhance, Influence, Misdirect, and Sense force powers as well as max out all career skills (including the two extra from Well Rounded).

I'd be a ghost - go anywhere, do anything, and nobody would ever know I could completely rewrite Destiny in their presence.

Soak and Wound would be irrelevant - nobody would ever be able to get a shot off against me. Especially with all those ranks in Dodge, Parry, and Reflect

For 3,500 XP, I'd have a Death Star. I wouldn't shoot you--just the planet you might be on. I have enough ammo to keep firing if I get the wrong one...😈

On 1/16/2019 at 2:25 PM, Darzil said:

I have quite a tough Mechanic at @900 earned xp (Artisan/Cyber Tech/Armorer), but if I had wanted a tank, Armorer/Colossus/Cyber Tech can get you from Brawn 3 to Brawn 7 (with Supreme Overcharge, 3 cybernetic limbs), with Dedication available for other stats, loads of Soak (even padded armor would be 11 soak), 5 ranks of Durable (for -50 Crit rating), and with Colossus's Unstoppable and Armor Master Supreme, you can ignore one Crit roll below 160 once a round for 3 strain (and ignore any below 60). Can obviously add Enduring and Reflect/Parry/Strain recovery to make it more powerful, but effective immunity to one crit per round is remarkably cheap (435 xp for all the above, if a brawn 3 species, and as little as 5500-8000 Cr - if your GM lets the Cybertech make their own limbs - depending on whether they charge for one leg or two)

I face palm every time I see people min maxing like this.  You do nothing but hurt your group because unless everyone in the group does the exact same they will be one shot by anything that the DM has to create just to hurt your character.  I'm the tank of our group and I have 8 soak, and I have been trying hard not to stack it for the benefit of the group.  Our offensive character has 6 soak but we all have hit 1k xp so we are getting to the point where its expected for us now to be able to do good offense and have some defense now or vice versa. 

On 1/20/2019 at 1:21 AM, EliasWindrider said:

As a GM I wouldn't allow PCs to kill a nemesis NPC or another PC with blast by targeting the ground near him... if you aren't targeting someone, you don't hit anyone, targeting the ground hits the ground but not close enough to blast the character you intended to kill by not targeting them, and if you try to get it close enough to them you are by definition targeting them.   And I can avoid the PCs doing the target the minion trick by not having the minion near the nemesis/PC.

However, assuming that this munchkin tactic (and I distinguish between power gaming and munchinism, power gaming works within the rules, munchinism seeks to circumvent the rules, and that tactic seeks to circumvent the rules) was allowed, knowing what's coming (thanks to foresee) would still allow Elias to not give the assassin the opportunity to take him out with a torpedo targeting the terrain by instead being in a ship such as a highly modified KST-100.

If I was a GM I would if the PC was a problem with power gaming and its hurting the group.  As long as hes not being a problem in the group then I wouldnt do such a thing.  I find players that have a tendancy to power game dont stay in groups very long cause they get bored and move on.  So for the group we are in it has not been much of a problem, though I think the closest we had to a powergamer left the group a long time ago after he got bored cause the campaign is ran more like a story than a dnd game.

Posted (edited)
On 2/2/2019 at 2:07 PM, ghost warlock said:

Your reflect isnt that high with that build, 2 from sentry, 3 from shien and thats it I see (Makashi weakness is range).  An assassin can one shot you easy, expecially one of the PC's in my group who only has like 1k xp but hits so hard you have to be a tank build not to get crited to death and thats not even calculating the damage from the shot that will be in the 20 damage range maybe 30 since he always pulls something out of his butt to murder people.  Unless I'm missing something from your build here. Even with your dodge and sense upgrades that might give you a total of 4 to 5 red die defense he can still hit you.  All he has to do is hit you and he is rolling 6 yellows to do so not including all his boost die and other stuff.  No build is this game in invincible, and the system favors offense over defense, much easier to stack offense than defense in this game for the same amount of xp.

but at 3500 xp means that you have been playing this game for almost 5-6 years straight and it would be impressive if your even still using that same character. We have been playing between 1.5 to 2 years and just hit 1k xp.  I would also drop force sensitive emergent and exile and get something to give your character more personality like racer or some flying specialization, maybe something else like artisen so your character has a trade as a backup in the game to disguise himself with.  My character right now is a mandalorian thats an armorer/soresu defender/hermit (was stuck on Dathimar for a little).  Probably going starfighter ace next to round him out a little and use it to give him some more warrior characteristics of a mandalorian. One of our npc's thats an ace pilot who fly's our group around everywhere is going to teach him.  He's very incognito on force powers because we are in the timeline between A New Hope and Empire Strikes back and vader is hunting down anyone using force powers.

Try to see your character as part of a story and build him or her around that story.  It will make star wars FFG more enjoyable, than just a bunch of power gaming numbers.  Star wars FFG isnt DnD.

Edited by Metalghost

5 hours ago, Metalghost said:

If I was a GM I would if the PC was a problem with power gaming and its hurting the group.  As long as hes not being a problem in the group then I wouldnt do such a thing.  I find players that have a tendancy to power game dont stay in groups very long cause they get bored and move on.  So for the group we are in it has not been much of a problem, though I think the closest we had to a powergamer left the group a long time ago after he got bored cause the campaign is ran more like a story than a dnd game.

So you just said you don't have power gamers in your group and then you go and say

5 hours ago, Metalghost said:

Your reflect isnt that high with that build, 2 from sentry, 3 from shien and thats it I see (Makashi weakness is range).  An assassin can one shot you easy, expecially one of the PC's in my group who only has like 1k xp but hits so hard you have to be a tank build not to get crited to death and thats not even calculating the damage from the shot that will be in the 20 damage range maybe 30 since he always pulls something out of his butt to murder people. 

Which contradicts your previous statement about not having power gamers in your group.

So which is it?

Personally I have a problem with Munchkinism (which generally involves rules lawyering with crazy interpretations to try to get the GM let you do stuff that a sane reading of the rules doesn't permit) but not power gaming (high degree of build optimization within the constraints of the rules).

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

So you just said you don't have power gamers in your group and then you go and say

Which contradicts your previous statement about not having power gamers in your group.

So which is it?

Personally I have a problem with Munchkinism (which generally involves rules lawyering with crazy interpretations to try to get the GM let you do stuff that a sane reading of the rules doesn't permit) but not power gaming (high degree of build optimization within the constraints of the rules).

Ya that person kind of bugs me sometimes but the gm gave us harder enemies last game and he went down by auto fire.  So lol, he's all offense and no defense.

Edited by Metalghost

1 minute ago, Metalghost said:

Ya that person kind of bugs me sometimes but the gm gave us harder enemies last game and he went down by auto fire.  So lol, he's all offense and no defense.

Most combat characters in this game are far better at offense than defense. The best defense is going first and dropping your enemies.

1 minute ago, HappyDaze said:

Most combat characters in this game are far better at offense than defense. The best defense is going first and dropping your enemies.

Didnt work for him last game, I had to go save him and his group once he was captured.

I'm not sure why you would need some ridiculus amout of XP to build canon characters. Heck, I've built Episode 4 "Old Ben"as a Starting character. Force unleashed's Starkiller cant throw lightning until the second level, has no social ability at all (just ask Juno Eclipse) and cant even kill a normal stormtrooper with a lightsaber without swinging 3 times. (And certiantly cant multikill a minion group without using a force quicktime event) I've built him as a 150 XP character.

The trick is, movie characters roll well and spend destiny points, and spend XP at the end of every major act. Not every powerful force user can do everything weaker force users can do. (the only time in Clone Wars we see Mace Windu apparently use Influence, it's a group effort- he's assisting a discipline check, not actually using influence. Mace Windu doesnt have the Influence power) And XP from previus campains doesnt always carry over to the next campaign- Old Ben doesnt have  to spend all the XP earned by Clone wars Obi-Wan.