So, I was thinking about the thread I made the other day, talking about how much higher Obi-wan's stats were than the base, and how much xp you would need to get it. I had an idea that might be a fun little thought exercise for those interested. 

You get 3500 xp to make whatever kind of character you want. You can only use the normal starting xp to boost your stats, with anything else coming from dedications. Other than that, see what kind of character you can make, whether it is meant to be some major villain, some kind of crazy/silly character idea you always wanted to make, but knew you would never have enough xp for, or even just the most mechanically broken character you can design.

2 hours ago, TheShard said:

Master Drez'n Bercilak is @2000xp and would take the Colossus, force adherent and Padawan survivor. The tank to end all tanks.

Armorer\Soresu\shii cho\seer\arbiter\+

The tank to end all tanks still dies horribly to a Hutt on a floater that hits with the built-in Auto-blaster. If that Hutt has equal experience, then expect a dice pool high enough to cut through defenses well enough to land at least 1 success. That's 40 damage.

1 hour ago, TheShard said:

Master Drez'n Bercilak is @2000xp and would take the Colossus, force adherent and Padawan survivor. The tank to end all tanks.

Elias Windrider is currently at 1500xp and I have a detailed build plan out to 2000xp, here's the Elias 2000 ogg dude sheet

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jgq2blkstyoyjoj

With another 1500 xp I'd get the right side and bottom row of ascetic, probably makashi duelist (avoiding the presence based talents as much as possible), the second from the left column of gadgeteer (and a few other talents) putting the deadly accuracy into lightsaber and maxing the lightsaber skill ranks, the right 2 column of doctor but the rightmost column wouldn't go below pressure point and max out the brawl skill probably a talent or 2 from the second from the left column, take the switch skill brawl upgrade of unmatched ferocity, and then I might look at racer or star fighter ace, so 4 or 5 dedications on top.of the "current" (2000 xp) attribute line of 3 4 4 2 6 2, so brawn and cunning up to 4 and a 5 in agility and maybe int or brawn.

Another character

Call him Whistler (cause he whistles binary)

Smuggler:gambler/shipwright/scientist/rigger/modder/droid tech/ maybe cyber tech

He would take a ir-3f light frigate, strip off the hull, add a sleek cara silpace with maxed armor, maneuverability/hardpoints and integrated system (hyper drive), then add a luxury passenger compartmens, retrofitted hanger bay, high output ion turbine, all the droid brains (maxed out) upgrade the small guns to quad medium laser cannons, and probably reinforced shield generators, Make a sil 3 hyperspace capable drop ship, the final product would look like a modernized/sleek consular light cruiser where the sil3 drop ship is a flattened egg shaped "salon pod" that has a chin turret mounted quad medium laser cannon as a weapon and a gunnery droid brain.  The sil 3 "salon pod" docs with the mothership li tuke the original consular, so the salon pod would be able to shoot while docked.  Maybe add a few vulture droid fighters (crafted if need be) because the retrofitted cargo bay has room.  The gist of it is the ship flies it self while following the orders of Whistler who speaks binary to up their dice pools the chin gun can fire every round because it's on the salon pod, and the mothership's gunery droid brain alternates between the two twin light turbolasers, the thing has a base speed of 5 and Whistler can "push the specs" to get it to 6.the ships AI uses a female human replica droid as a gynoid avatar als rommie from gene roddenberry's starship andromeda

Another character, the ultimate force sensitive but otherwise stereotypical hot chick smuggler (ultimate pilot, gambler, face, gunslinger, but the only smuggler spec I might take is )

Female Pantoran probably starting sentinel:racer, sage, star fighter ace, parts of operator (offensive driving), squadron leader (right side, 2 ranks of defensive driving which has crazy synergy with offensive driving), and maybe/not likely (cause it doesn't fit the concept) middle of ataru striker (right 2+ columns of doctor right column stopping at pressure point) and probably rigger and/or right side of modder that flies a massively tricked out kst-100 (tricks include high output ion turbines so it has a base speed of 5 and with supreme full throttle can get it up to 7), maxed out agility, the enhance (control skills), sense, foresee (for initiative), and influence control skills upgrade, if I could squeeze it in mechanic for bad motivator and some hot shot, maybe  some performer for distracting behavior, maybe the second from the left column of gadgeteer the thing is the character wears performers attire (boost die to attract attention and perform) with armor inserts, and she just trolls npcs in space combat and in person (distractinceg behavior & bad motivator) might get an dexterity increasing cybernetic arm and the avionics interface that gives a free rank of piloting so 7 agility and 6 ranks of pilot space, with 5 force dice being rolled with enhance control skill pilot space

2 hours ago, lollypopalopicus said:

So, I was wondering, what attracted you to Padawan Survivor? Was it the secrets of the Jedi?

improved secrets of the jedi actually, it also has a rank of reflect and 2 ranks of parry, then there is temple training (which if you're an ataru striker you really want, because based on the wording it would apply to every hit of a saber swarm, and nothing else does), dedication and force rating. Oh and constant vigilance for 5 xp.

Edited by EliasWindrider

14 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Another character, the ultimate force sensitive but otherwise stereotypical hot chick smuggler (ultimate pilot, gambler, face, gunslinger, but the only smuggler spec I might take is )

Female Pantoran probably starting sentinel:racer, sage, star fighter ace, parts of operator (offensive driving), squadron leader (right side, 2 ranks of defensive driving which has crazy synergy with offensive driving), and maybe/not likely (cause it doesn't fit the concept) middle of ataru striker (right 2+ columns of doctor right column stopping at pressure point) and probably rigger and/or right side of modder that flies a massively tricked out kst-100 (tricks include high output ion turbines so it has a base speed of 5 and with supreme full throttle can get it up to 7), maxed out agility, the enhance (control skills), sense, foresee (for initiative), and influence control skills upgrade, if I could squeeze it in mechanic for bad motivator and some hot shot, maybe  some performer for distracting behavior, maybe the second from the left column of gadgeteer the thing is the character wears performers attire (boost die to attract attention and perform) with armor inserts, and she just trolls npcs in space combat and in person (distractinceg behavior & bad motivator) might get an dexterity increasing cybernetic arm and the avionics interface that gives a free rank of piloting so 7 agility and 6 ranks of pilot space, with 5 force dice being rolled with enhance control skill pilot space

this

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bu939rw81sw41zj/ArisRenn3500xp.pdf/file

is close to the best I could do if "she sprang into existance fully form" I am playing Aris Renn as a starting character and started with a 4 in Agility, 2's in willpower, brawn, intellect, 3's in cunning and presence.  But for this build to get an extra point of strain and save 10 xp I started with 3's in agility and willpower.

She's bad *** and when Ogg Dude does his next release (any day now) I'll add the kst-100 to it and it will be even more of a beast because of the rigger signature vehicle and associated talents.

I haven't really picked gear for her (she should get a bad *** blaster pistol, might have it custom commissioned by the best crafter in the galaxy or might go for a nova viper (the hutt space book, EotE, I think it's "Lords of Nal Hutta")  might get a agility enhancing arm from special modifications (because it can be unobstrusive and ion shielded) to get agility up to 7 and the avionics interface cybernetic implant to add a rank to pilot space and pilot planetary.

If the OP meant 3500 earned xp there's a lot more I could do with an extra 120 xp.

Edited by EliasWindrider

14 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

The tank to end all tanks still dies horribly to a Hutt on a floater that hits with the built-in Auto-blaster. If that Hutt has equal experience, then expect a dice pool high enough to cut through defenses well enough to land at least 1 success. That's 40 damage.

The floater and a few other things make me suspect there's several people producing official stats that use different weapon scaling rules that what's provided in the Rulebook. Seriously, a light repeating blaster or something would have made a lot more sense.

45 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

The floater and a few other things make me suspect there's several people producing official stats that use different weapon scaling rules that what's provided in the Rulebook. Seriously, a light repeating blaster or something would have made a lot more sense.

Not really. It never makes sense in this system to mount personal scale weapons on any vehicle. If you have the hard point, go with planetary scale or you're not living long enough to go home.

The mistake was making the Hutt floater a vehicle (even with Speed 1, it goes way too fast) rather than a piece of gear.

17 hours ago, TheShard said:

I have quite a tough Mechanic at @900 earned xp (Artisan/Cyber Tech/Armorer), but if I had wanted a tank, Armorer/Colossus/Cyber Tech can get you from Brawn 3 to Brawn 7 (with Supreme Overcharge, 3 cybernetic limbs), with Dedication available for other stats, loads of Soak (even padded armor would be 11 soak), 5 ranks of Durable (for -50 Crit rating), and with Colossus's Unstoppable and Armor Master Supreme, you can ignore one Crit roll below 160 once a round for 3 strain (and ignore any below 60). Can obviously add Enduring and Reflect/Parry/Strain recovery to make it more powerful, but effective immunity to one crit per round is remarkably cheap (435 xp for all the above, if a brawn 3 species, and as little as 5500-8000 Cr - if your GM lets the Cybertech make their own limbs - depending on whether they charge for one leg or two)

5 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Not really. It never makes sense in this system to mount personal scale weapons on any vehicle.

Respectfully disagree. There's always reasons, both in-universe and mechanics/encounter design to mount personal scale weapons on vehicles. Otherwise you're back in the old argument that a tabletop RPG is identical to an MMO and I should be able to wear full power armor and carry a missile tube everywhere all the time without even so much as a confused glance.

11 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

even with Speed 1, it goes way too fast

That I think was a difficult decision. I'm betting the reference was Dark Empire where Han and Leia kicked a Hutt off his floater and flew away. The implication being that a Hutt Floater was super slow with a big old fat Hutt on it, but more like a go-kart when just moving a few hundred pounds of human. 

13 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

The mistake was making the Hutt floater a vehicle ... rather than a piece of gear.

OK, now that's a perspective I can get on board with.

1 hour ago, Ghostofman said:

Respectfully disagree. There's always reasons, both in-universe and mechanics/encounter design to mount personal scale weapons on vehicles. Otherwise you're back in the old argument that a tabletop RPG is identical to an MMO and I should be able to wear full power armor and carry a missile tube everywhere all the time without even so much as a confused glance.

Remember that a light repeating blaster (the personal scale weapon) is Restricted while the auto-blaster (planetary scale weapon) is not. By the rules, the former weapon is more eyebrow-raising than the latter. Besides, in this case, the weapon is retractable/concealed, so it really is designed to be taken everywhere (at least wherever the floater can go).

2 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Remember that a light repeating blaster (the personal scale weapon) is Restricted while the auto-blaster (planetary scale weapon) is not. By the rules, the former weapon is more eyebrow-raising than the latter. Besides, in this case, the weapon is retractable/concealed, so it really is designed to be taken everywhere (at least wherever the floater can go).

This is a reason why one thing is "better" than another per basic numbers, but not a justification why vehicles with a predominantly anti-personnel/infantry requirement would always mount such a weapon.

It's like saying that a Humvee should always mount a 20mm autocannon because it can and it does more damage than a 7.62 machine gun. Or that a Tank shouldn't bother mounting a coaxial machine gun or pintle machine guns because the main gun does more damage and has the blast quality.

The Hutt floater could have just as easily mounted a repeating blaster carbine/rifle, or heavy blaster rifle, or light repeating blaster (which is restricted, but as you also point out, concealed) or a custom-statted anti-personnel weapon of some kind and it still would have made perfect sense. But it didn't, it mounted an autoblaster. so eitherht person writing the stats didn't understand that's a Damage 40 gun when used against people, did understand and saw it as always being an overpowered tool of coercion the players would rarely access, or was using their own scale rules.

34 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

It's like saying that a Humvee should always mount a 20mm autocannon because it can and it does more damage than a 7.62 machine gun.

If there was no limitations on ammo storage or cost (like with the weapons we are talking about), the weapon's mass didn't impact performance (IOW, a hard point is a hard point is a hard point), and the risk of collateral damage is fairly low (like in this system), I'm pretty sure Humvees would mount 20mm autocannons over 7.62mm MMGs.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:07 AM, HappyDaze said:

And that's why the best tank is a Martial Artist with Coordination Dodge for such situations. Here, enjoy 5 free failures on the check! Those should do the trick, together with the (at that exp level) 3-4 defense and ranks of Dodge, or defensive Sense...

Back on topic, I just recently built a 1000 EXP character for a campaign that's a spin-off of another long going game, so will start at a far higher level than normal. Also we're Imperials in that spin-off, but that's less important right now.

With 3500 EXP, I could build a true Echani Jedi/Warrior. Start out as a Steel Hand Adept Warrior, start with at least 4 Brawn. Martial Artist as the first secondary tree, max out Brawl and Coordination at least - potentially other skills up to rank 3 and 4 to make sure you never roll less than 3 dice on any skill that's in-career now. Also, with both Steel Hand Adept and Martial Artist, a human now has Crit 1 on unarmed attacks, unarmed Parry and a few ranks of it, Brawn 6, and FR 2 (and with that, Pierce 2). Not too shabby.

To further enhance that concept, a lot of trees could be used. Either to spread out a bit, or just 'break' the game a bit more. For even stronger unarmed combat, Gadgeteer would be amazing - Deadly Accuracy on Brawl would mean Damage 11, Crit 1, Pierce 2 unarmed attacks. However, if we assume for half a second that we don't want our hands to be classified as restricted weapons on the scale of Disruptors, there'll be more than enough EXP still left over to instead go into Armorer to eventually craft some signature light Echani battle armor, or even go into Seer to mess with dice results and get a whopping 2 Force Rating in total. For Force Powers, the obvious one is Enhance. No matter how deadly one gets in this system, if fifty Stormtroopers armed with automatic weapons round the corner, the smart Bruce Lee clone uses Force Leaps to get the **** out of there and disappear somewhere behind something large and line-of-sight blocking.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:21 AM, Silim said:

And that's why the best tank is a Martial Artist with Coordination Dodge for such situations. Here, enjoy 5 free failures on the check! Those should do the trick, together with the (at that exp level) 3-4 defense and ranks of Dodge, or defensive Sense...

No fair cheating off the 2000xp Elias Windrider build I previously posted in this thread 😎

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

No fair cheating off the 2000xp Elias Windrider build I previously posted in this thread 😎

Psh, I've tanked star ship shots with a martial artist Cathar months ago! 😛

Seemed to annoy my GM back then a great deal, but maybe if he stopped upgrading literally every NPC roll with a destiny point, I would've had to stop... But that game sucked and died anyway.

5 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Did he have 3-4 defense, ranks of dodge, and the full sense defense upgrade?

Against a target like that, I'd fire a proton torpedo at the ground near Dodgy Mc Dodger and settle for taking him out with the Blast alone for 2 Advantages. None of those defenses would do a thing to help him.

21 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Against a target like that, I'd fire a proton torpedo at the ground near Dodgy Mc Dodger and settle for taking him out with the Blast alone for 2 Advantages. None of those defenses would do a thing to help him.

Actually all of those would help by increasing the defense pool and some of those end up as threat, as would the silhouette difference, it's just not full proof. But if you looked at the build he has foresee with the details upgrade so he would see your torpedo assassination attempt coming and not be there for you to take potshots at, he also has agility 4 and the enhance pilot upgrades so with 5 force dice you'd have a non trivial dog fight on your hands if he did show up, with another 5 xp he could get time to go as a scar talent which Grant's a maneuver to get out of blast and he can force jump as a maneuver so... 😋

Edited by EliasWindrider

30 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Actually all of those would help by increasing the defense pool and some of those end up as threat, as would the silhouette difference, it's just not full proof. But if you looked at the build he has foresee with the details upgrade so he would see your torpedo assassination attempt coming and not be there for you to take potshots at, he also has agility 4 and the enhance pilot upgrades so with 5 force dice you'd have a non trivial dog fight on your hands if he did show up, with another 5 xp he could get time to go as a scar talent which Grant's a maneuver to get out of blast and he can force jump as a maneuver so... 😋

None of that helps because he's not the target of the attack; he's just close enough to get hit by the Blast. The terrain around him probably doesnt have any particular Defense and certainly won't have Dodge or Sense.

This can also be accomplished by putting a minion into Engaged with your guy and dropping the proton torp on that minion to catch your guy with the Blast. Again, those protective measures you've mentioned do nothing to save you.